The most depressing song you can think of.

^:lol:That is a hilarious Klister quote. I would have sigged that too.

Back on the subject, Whale and Wasp by Alice in Chains is a depressing song.
Also a lot of Rapture songs are depressing as well.

:lol: i giggle like a little girl everytime i read it.

anyways id say:
Leviathan - The Idiot Sun
Xasthur - Bleak Necrotic Paleness
Emperor - The Wanderer

Oh excellent, i really hope it comes soon, but i sense i got burnt on it. I read somewhere that some label was re-releasing all their old material anyways. :kickass:

Yeah. A friend ordered from Negru as well and never received...like 3-4 years ago. LOL There's a strong possibility that it just never makes it out of the Romanian system, as I hear it very shady.

shut the fuck up sevag, you are the most worthless contributor to this forum

I disagree. For me at least, it is enjoyable to experience an unpleasant emotion in a controlled way. It's the same thing as fear being an unpleasant emotion but people still enjoying horror movies.

if fear is by definition an unpleasant emotion then all the enjoyment of horror movies shows is that the dominant emotion isn't fear, much like so-called depressing music isn't 'depressing' if you enjoy it

if fear is by definition an unpleasant emotion then all the enjoyment of horror movies shows is that the dominant emotion isn't fear, much like so-called depressing music isn't 'depressing' if you enjoy it
Both of you have a point. I think it depends on what you consider 'depressing' music.
It can be music that dispirits you itself and gets you all depressed. Which is probably not that enjoyable.

or

It can be music that brings you sad emotions, melancholy and depression - and some people like this feeling, just as some strange people like the feeling of pain and cut theirselves.

I remember reading someone in an album review for Warning - Watching From a Distance discussing self-gratifying melancholia... which he described as indulging your depressive emotions in a manner that allows catharsis and release of the depression, or something like that. I know it summed up my enjoyment of that album, and the reasons why I'd choose any of its 5 songs as the answer to this thread.

I remember reading someone in an album review for Warning - Watching From a Distance discussing self-gratifying melancholia... which he described as indulging your depressive emotions in a manner that allows catharsis and release of the depression, or something like that. I know it summed up my enjoyment of that album, and the reasons why I'd choose any of its 5 songs as the answer to this thread.

of course i know what you guys mean, this basically goes all the way back to aristotle, i'm just being a dick and arguing semantics. if we take your example and a piece of music makes you indulge in depressive emotions resulting in catharsis, then the music is ultimately cathartic, not depressing. the very opposite of depressing in fact.

i suppose i just don't like the way metal is commonly said to invoke inherently negative emotions - a central reason for my love of metal is its complete opposition to states of mind like *wallowing in misery*, or to use some other examples, mindless hatred or fear.

warning are quite amazing btw, the emotions i get from that one are seriously complex

When I listen to Candlemass, I feel energized. I'm not sure if it's Messiahs vocals or what, but I have a lot of energy when I listen to them. Metal in general gets me pumped up and makes me feel good about myself.

Metal gives me only positive emotions. Heavy Metal makes driving a lot more fun. Thrash Metal and Death Metal keeps me motivated on the job. Black Metal helps me relax, and it's also the most cathartic of the genres for me.

Metal gives me only positive emotions. Heavy Metal makes driving a lot more fun. Thrash Metal and Death Metal keeps me motivated on the job. Black Metal helps me relax, and it's also the most cathartic of the genres for me.

Yeah, I feel similar. It makes the late winter bus rides feel like a fucking epic journey.