Most important/influencial/creative CURRENT bands

Xeroth said:
Fear Factroy
They helped to keep Metal alive in the 90's, and have always had their own style of music.

Sepultura
A simply great band, very anti-political and very tribal, which takes a lot of guts to do.

since when was Sepultura anti-political? they've always been on that anti-racism and anti-homophobia bandwagon for years.

ohiogrinder said:
since when was Sepultura anti-political? they've always been on that anti-racism and anti-homophobia bandwagon for years.

And how would being anti-political take guts anyway?? :lol:

Dee Snarl said:
And how would being anti-political take guts anyway?? :lol:

because it goes against the grain more than being a generic Bush-bashing liberal like those pseudo-punks Green Day and Anti-Flag.

Children Of The Damned said:
Iron Maiden
Coming on 26 years old and still making albums. One of the most influencial bands ever and still is. Even though they were formed in 1980 they are still "current".

Influential yes.

Creative and innovating - hell no...not anymore!

Them and Megadeth could use a shot in the arm of updated metal.

Scott

The latest two iron maiden cds are a lot more creative refresh and innovating compared to say anything slayer metallica or megadeth has released in the past decade. The funny think is a lot of melo-death bands iron maiden influenced(say in flames,soilwork) have not played melo-death for along time and older bands like iron maiden are still sticking to their guns 30 years later were never generation bands like in flames changed relativly quick into their carrers.

I found Marilyn Manson (beyond his supposedly gay image) and his song writing to be inspirational. You realy have to look into his music's meaning though (excluding Mechanical Animals which was more a drug-obssessed album then good quality).

As for Metal... I find Shaggrath's vocals to be a great inspiration for my own. Cradle of Filth's Keybards... fucking wicked... my keyborders for my band is highly influenced by CoF. As for Guitars... I'd have to go with Arch Enemy or Behemoth... drums? Dunno, don't know much about them. Realy I don't find one whole band highly influenctial, it's bits and parts of tehm.

byrne said:
that is absolutely meaningless. how is being influential in the metalcore scene at all productive?

"stop start rhythmic interplay" is hardly something that was developed in 1995 when "DEI" was released. That sort of style was riddled throughout Pantera's career (circa late 80's early 90's), well before the release of that album and I'm sure Pantera weren't the innovators in that respect.

As far as mechanised riffing goes based on the fact that you made the first part up, id be almost willing to be meshuggah didn't develop the mechanised guitar tone (which I assume you are referring to, as opposed to a particular riff structure).
So you don't think that Meshuggah was creative then, but that doesn't make them less influential.

Thasis said:
I found it influential to my own band. In general his guitars have influenced my style of band playing quite a bit. I didn't mean influential or w/e in in a general sense, more of a personal sense.

You're missing the point then. I'm not talking about on a personal level, I'm talking collectively here, because I'm a fucking communist and I want individualism to die.

byrne said:
"stop start rhythmic interplay" is hardly something that was developed in 1995 when "DEI" was released. That sort of style was riddled throughout Pantera's career (circa late 80's early 90's), well before the release of that album and I'm sure Pantera weren't the innovators in that respect.

Pantera's use of rhythm is nothing like Meshuggah's, I can hear that and I know very little (read: practically nothing) about music theory, so I'm not sure what makes you think they sound similar. I have not found any recording that fatures similar sounding stop-start mechanised riffs to the ones used on DEI (which is obviously what I was referring to rather than 'stop start rhythmic interplay' in general) from the same period. If you know of anything please point me to it because I think you're trying to justfiy ignoring them because you don't like them. It is almost inconceivable to me that anyone could deny their influence.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
How the fuck is ANYTHING productive...

being productive i.e. producing something worthwhile, of note, useful, furthering the genre, interesting etc etc. how the fuck is that HARD to understand? :rolleyes:

i havent listened to meshuggah in a long time, and im not about to go listen to it. but based on the loose description "i havent heard anyone else do it like they (meshuggah) did" re: stop start rhythmic interplay, and that no one can seem to justify anyone (other than metalcore bands) that they have influenced, i cant see how you can say they were at all influential, creative, important etc etc. but given the roundabout arguments we are having, im going to leave it there.

I can hear a clear Meshuggah influence on Opeth's Deliverance and Ghost Reveries albums, most noticeably on the GR track Beneath the Mire, in the final minute or so. It's very similar to the end of the Meshuggah track Beneath.

I'm hardly a Meshuggah fanboy, or fan even, but I think it's silly to dismiss then due to overhype.

I think Reverend Bizarre have really had a big impact on everyone. They are credited with starting (or atleast helping to) the fourth wave of doom metal.