Okay, so far the main contenders are:

DsO
The Chasm
Primordial
Agalloch
Summoning
Meshuggah
Orphaned Land

To a lesser extent, these bands qualify, but, at least in my opinion, don't have the same level of innovation:

Nokturnal Mortum
Portal
Stargazer
Urfaust
Negura Bunget
Opeth
Nile

I'm still completely unfamiliar with Alchemist, Dolorian, Madder Mortem, Atrocity, Akercocke (though these guys appear to be a joke), etc. And I'm completely on the fence about Skepticism until Erik makes a point of them and convinces me to re-listen to their newer material.

Any others you lot can think of? I appreciate all the input.

Funny thing is that there are parts of the new Opeth that sound like a bad Opeth tribute band.

It's still better than most new music though. I rarely even like new music, unless it's an older band. I see nothing wrong with ghost reveries even though it's not as good as the last 4,5.

Newer opeth is more enjoyable than there gothenburg melodic death material(which is still great).

And I'm completely on the fence about Skepticism until Erik makes a point of them and convinces me to re-listen to their newer material.
OK. It should be absolutely CLEAR to you why they are INNOVATIVE/CREATIVE though? I mean, you simply cannot argue that there is another band that sounds like them, because there aren't any (no matter how much Mournful Congregation and Pantheist try to rip them off). So uh, I just think they're a band that has ALWAYS gone completely their own path, ignoring all sorts of conventions and boundaries. The drumming, for one, is completely innovative for metal -- it's like it only punctuates and accentuates the organ and guitar riffs and the flow of the song, instead of keeping a beat as such. He uses felt mallets too, I don't think any other metal drummers do that. :lol: Song structures are completely unique, I mean listen to "Aes". Noone else has EVER done anything like that.

genocide roach said:
is a band truly influencial if no one sounds like em?

im just sayin...
~gR~
No but the topic says important/influencial/creative, not important+influencial+creative

ALSO IT'S INFLUENTIAL

Erik said:
No but the topic says important/influencial/creative, not important+influencial+creative

ALSO IT'S INFLUENTIAL

just trying to be as smart as the person who started the topic
~gR~

Fear Factroy
They helped to keep Metal alive in the 90's, and have always had their own style of music.

Sepultura
A simply great band, very anti-political and very tribal, which takes a lot of guts to do.

genocide roach said:
is a band truly influencial if no one sounds like em?

im just sayin...
~gR~

Bands don't have to sound like other bands to have been influenced by them. Does The Lord Weird Slough Feg sound like Queen? Not particularly, but ask Scalzi and I'd bet he'd tell you Queen was at least a decently big influence on his songwriting at some point down the line.

This is just an example.

Also, Dolorian is really fucking good, Nick, check them out. I've only heard their new album "Voidwards" which Erik recommended and I bought blind, but yeah...

Can ya' take Meshuggah of the list? Unless we are talking about bands which pioneer ways of making absolutely god awful music ...

Enslaved I'd probably agree with, despite the fact that I don't enjoy any of their newer material.

byrne said:
Can ya' take Meshuggah of the list? Unless we are talking about bands which pioneer ways of making absolutely god awful music ...

Influential and creative bands that you don't like are still influential and creative. Destroy Erase Improve is one of the most original, and probably influential, metal albums of the 90s.