MOST METAL CITIES

I've been to Montreal and the metal scene there is scorching. Knowing French might help but everyone there knows fluent English.

cookiecutter said:
If you are considering MIT it's ~1-2 hours to most shows in Worcester or Providence. However, it seems most of the bands that come from New England are Hardcore/Metalcore.

By the way, what college are you attending? I'm considering applying to Northwestern.
really? i could see to providence maybe but isn't Worcester like 45 min or less from MIT? I'm from NH and it takes me around your 1-2 estimate to go to worcester...
and yeah the scene is fairly shitty around here but as i pointed out in the first post hes mentioned that hes mainly looking for a place that gets a lot of shows, not a scene as in shitty local bands playing elks halls...

oslo, norway
london, england
birmingham, england
atlanta, ga USA
san fransico, ca USA (well atleast it use to be)
hunington park, ca USA

Phrozenspite said:
really? i could see to providence maybe but isn't Worcester like 45 min or less from MIT? I'm from NH and it takes me around your 1-2 estimate to go to worcester...
and yeah the scene is fairly shitty around here but as i pointed out in the first post hes mentioned that hes mainly looking for a place that gets a lot of shows, not a scene as in shitty local bands playing elks halls...

Nah, I live in the town next to Cambridge and its more like an hour to an hour and a half. Worcester is pretty far west.

Yeah, I go to Northwestern. It's really easy to get to 90% of the venues in the city by the L. Every major tour comes through, of course, and you get more "An evening with..." type shows that don't go through many cities.

Plus, the number one reason to stay in Chicago: Metal Haven.
www.metalhavenchicago.com
Very few cities have a 100% metal shop, with a knowledgable staff. Easy to get to from Northwestern as well.

unknown said:
I beg to differ. There are some really quality black and death metal bands in Los Angeles.

Then why do I keep getting forced to deal with all the shitty ones when I go to shows? :confused:

alot of cities over here in europe have a pretty good metal scene.
nottinghams general alturnative scene is pretty fun, a nice mixture if you ask me, and of course from notts you can to to birmingham with the birmingham academy ect which is good for gigs and you have a pretty basic rout to london and there is also the notorious gifford pub in wolverhampton inthin about 2 hours of notts.
yep.
good place imo.

-e
xx

Metal Haven is a nice store, but it is very small! And the staff actually hasn't helped me very much so far. But it still is certainly a nice resource to have around nonetheless. London sounds like a great place, I have relatives there and they definitely have good schools there. Hmm..haha. I can't stay in Chicago in the school I am at. I did see Exodus tonight, though!

BlackViking666 said:
Philidelphia:kickass:

did I spell it right?:erk:

Actually its Philadelphia, but yeah... close enough.

The metal scene here is kinda weak right now. Some of the citys best metal stores have closed down in the past year or so. The only store left around here where you can find obscure shit is the Relapse Records retail store just off of South Street. Despite the shitty bands that Relapse signs, they actually re-issue alot of good shit (atheist!!!) and they have a huge selection in their store. I found the entire Cirith Ungol discography (original pressings!) the last time i was in there, I couldnt let that go, i had to get them all. Sometimes the store sucks and the only good stuff in stock is stuff you already have, but sometimes they really surprise you.

The concert scene is good here tho. A few tours have passed by (kreator didnt stop here on their last tour, celtic frost didnt hit philly either) us recently, but they also passed by some other big cities, so i dont think it has anything to do with philly in general.

sumairetsu said:
Then why do I keep getting forced to deal with all the shitty ones when I go to shows? :confused:

Look for Winterthrall, Sothis, Gatekeeper, Nokturne and there's a few others. There are some LA black metal groups on myspace. Go forth in the name of Odin and find all that ye can.