Most stable interface?

JeffTD

Senhor Testiculo
Sep 29, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
www.jeffdunne.com
Just curious, I figure the fireface will win in this one, but are there any other interface+driver combos that are known to be just rock solid? I like my Saffire decent enough but was going to move to a 2626... some things have changed, number one priority now is stability in a good quality unit. I'm just going SPDIF/programming drums with this setup for the most part, so inputs/mic pres is a non issue. I'm just super, super tired of dealing with random driver issues or software glitches (of which the Saffire has many!).

dude my mackie onyx 1640 has, for the most part, been totally bulletproof

when i 1st installed it, i had a couple problems with the noise cutting out if i was playing back through it while online...it would do it every time i loaded a new page

turned out it was a result of me turning off the onboard sound drivers in the windows control panel, but not in the actual system setup. as soon as i went in and completely disabled the onboard audio, all my problems went away.

PS - i've had the thing for 3+ years now as well, so it's not like this is a brand new rig or anything

Unfortunately, I'm on both laptop/desktop and Mac/PC, so Metric Halo is out, and the Multiface setup becomes ridiculously expensive for both cards and zero mic pres. When I said inputs/mic pres didn't matter, I meant quality wise haha. They'd still be super nice to have on board, though.

I think I really may just need to bite the bullet and spring for an FF400 or 800.

another vote for rme, fireface 400 user here, running smooth so far :)

i used to run a profire 610, which also worked pretty well as far as drivers are concerned, although i haven't had it for too long.

I hope I'm not biased by it feels like the Profire 2626 is the most stable in that price range from what I've read on the net. For the double price of a 2626 you could get the RME FF800 though and everybody says it's rock solid so it looks promising :) As for Saffire, I chose the Profire over the Saffire because I read too many bad things about Focusrite interfaces :(

I used to think my FP10 was stable, but the Profire 2626 has been far better. I'd still go the RME route if it's in your price range, wasn't in mine so I got the Profire and have been very pleased. I can't remember having any problems at all with it, except a couple days ago it didn't boot properly (the M-audio Profire said it can't find the interface) so I just rebooted and it worked. For some reason, the settings had gone to default, but I set them back to what I use in about 20 seconds.

+1

More solid than the FF because it doesn't rely on 3d party firewire chipsets mangling your fun. Straight PCI or PCI-e card with a breakout box. 0.7ms of latency. Amazing mixer, and have yet to get a single crash from it after a year or more of use.

+1

We've been using RME sound cards since 2001, and NEVER had any issues. I've had problems with everything, except the RME stuff. :kickass: