Movies

I'm a Star Wars guy so I will see this. I don't agree Hayden Christianson was a bad actor. I thought he portrayed a perfect Anakin. It made perfect sense his character would become Darth Vader.

Hayden is NOT a bad actor. Rent 'Shattered Glass' and prepare to be blown away. It's Lucas's incompetence as a director. I mean, would you say Natalie Portman sucks as an actress? So why did she do it ONLY in the Star Wars movies?

I just rented Crank 2. Hilariously awful and totally ludicrous. Jason Statham banging Amy Smart in the middle of the race track at Hollywood Park was the high/low point. It's also a great tour of every shitty neighborhood in downtown LA. But you gotta see the first one for this to make sense.

Powder Blue... not so good, even with Jessica Biel butt naked. It's a poor rip off of '21 Grams.' It's also Patrick Swayze's last movie, and he's unrecognizable.

I loved all 6 Star Wars movies and think Lucas made them perfectly. The only problem I had was Jar Jar. I thought everything else fit perfectly. I just see Natalie Portman And Hayden Christianson playing the way Lucas envisioned them.

I saw Shattered Glass. That was the one about that newspaper or magazine company right? Great!

Hayden is NOT a bad actor. Rent 'Shattered Glass' and prepare to be blown away. It's Lucas's incompetence as a director.

If I can find it here, I'll go pick up a bootleg of Shattered Glass (rental stores in Manila went out of business because of low DVD prices coupled with thousands of bootleg movie stores). Still, I can't put up with Christensen's acting, especially after the craptacular Jumper from last year.

I mean, would you say Natalie Portman sucks as an actress?

Not at all. She did very well in Eps. 1-3, but her acting in Léon was better. And she was 12 when she starred in that film.

What are the most well made, mind blowing, incredible movies ever made? These don't have to be your favorite. Just incredible pieces of art.
Best directing, acting and script.

That's an easy one. Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus takes the cake on that. Once you watch it, you will believe a shark can fly!

If we're not going for favourites, I would have to say that Jurassic Park has to be up there as one of the best. Just for the special effects alone. For the time, it was just insane!!! I still think it's got much better special effects than some recent films.

I'm shocked by the fact that you didn't pick Back to the Future.;)

My List

slap shot
Gone in 60 Seconds (The Original)
its a wonderful life
a Christmas Story
Dirty Harry, The Gauntlet, etc
Black Sunday
2 Minute Warning
Decline Of Western Civilization (Metal years)
Waynes World
Dudes

Mulholland Drive was a movie that felt like my head exploded. Especially the second time around when I stated to get it.

How about the Saw movies? Those endings keep you spun out for days. I'm about to re-watch all 5 before I go see the 6th one next week.

Revenge of the Sith was epic!

How about The Godfather?

Gotta say it, GREASE rules!

How about The Sting or Cool Hand Luke?

As a kid, when I saw Rambo at a 6th grade slumber party, that was like the most insane shit at that time for me.

Favorite Time Travel Movies:

I once watched Back to the Future all 3 in one day. Those really are absolutely fantastic, especially the time travel conundrum of Part 2. Very well done!

Butterfly Effect nails the time travel conundrum perfectly.

Please tell me you seen 12 Monkeys. Great time travel movie with Bruce Willis.

Anyone here see The Jacket? Excellent time travel movie similar to Butterfly Effect.

Primer was clever but didn't enjoy it.

Bill and Ted's. Gotta love it.

Time Travel movies can be good when they try and tackle the Time Travel Conundrum. It really is untacklable but at least they try. It seems there is no way to have a conflict when going through time and altering it.

Do you think anyone has ever understood Donnie Darko?

Many years ago, I used to review movies on a regular basis at several anime and sci-fi forums. I thought I'd share with you a review from my archives. The trailer for this film was posted on page 1 of this thread.

I'm sure this is something Sara would get a kick out of. :lol:

sixstringsamurai-1.jpg

Six-String Samurai
HSX Films/Palm Pictures, 1998
Directed by Lance Mungia (The Crow: Wicked Prayer)
Rated PG-13 for martial arts violence, mature situations and mild language.

"Don't touch my guitar, man. Don't even touch my guitar." - Buddy

Cast
Jeffrey Falcon as Buddy
Justin McGuire as the Kid
Lex Lang as Death

Buddy: "Who are you?"
Death: "Death."
Buddy: "Cool. You here for me?"
Death: "You and every other rock 'n' roller out to claim my throne."

Synopsis
In 1957, the Soviet Union nuked America and turned the country into a wasteland. The last safe haven in America was a city called Lost Vegas, ruled by King Elvis. Forty years have passed since then. Elvis has died. Sword-wielding, guitar-picking warriors all over the wastelands embark on a perilous journey to be crowned King of Lost Vegas.

On his way to the city, a lone rockabilly named Buddy saves a kid from a bunch of primitive thugs. Despite having to put up with the kid - who does nothing but moan and scream, Buddy must continue his quest to become the King, even if he has to face the Russian Army or Death himself and his heavy metal minions from hell.

"Don't let the four-eyes reach Vegas alive!" - Death

Lowdown
B-movies - you've seen one, you've seen them all. Many of them are poorly scripted, cheaply produced and reek of horrible acting. But then, once in a while, there comes a B-movie that's so good, you can't get enough of it. Take, for example, Six-String Samurai: a loose parody of Lone Wolf and Cub and a satire of American pop culture.

"Nice tuxedo. Nice tuxedo to die in!" - Pin Pals leader

Jeffrey Falcon, who has spent most of his career as a white jobber in Hong Kong flicks, does a great job playing Buddy (a parody of the late rock legend Buddy Holly), who packs a sharp katana and plays a mean six-string at the same time. The acting is extremely cheesy and the script is full of one-liners that really stick to your head. You even have a host of laughable baddies for Buddy to use his katana on, such as the Pin Pals (a trio of bald bowlers), the Cleavers (a cannibalistic suburban family), a bunch of fallen Cosmonauts and the Windmill People (mutants living underground).

"I ask you to kill one single guitarist, and what do I get? Dead bald guys. You four have failed me for the last -- nice shoes." - Death

For the soundtrack, The Red Elvises capture the essence of the film with rock 'n' roll mixed with ska, surf music and Russian folk. It's amazing how their music flows with the fight scenes.

"Cross that line, kid, I'll cut your little teddy bear in half. Last kid that crossed that line, I had to summon up the Spinach Monster with my rock 'n' roll magic. The Spinach Monster grabbed him, pulled him underground and made him eat spinach all day. Rumor has it, kid...he's still there." - Buddy

If you're looking for some cheap thrills, pick up Six-String Samurai. You won't be disappointed.

Rating: :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang: 1/2

"You come all this way without sayin' squat. And you are tryin' to tell me that a '56 Chevy can beat a '47 Buick in a dead quarter mile...I liked you better when you weren't sayin' squat kid. Go to bed." - Buddy

DVD Extras: :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang: 1/2
When you rent or purchase the DVD, you get the theatrical trailer and two music videos by The Red Elvises. This band really kicks ass!

Mesh-head: "If I were you, I'd run!"
Buddy: "If you were me, you'd be good lookin'!" (Snaps fingers)

Links
Official Six-String Samurai Soundtrack Homepage

References
The Internet Movie Database

I must say this time of the year is my absolute favorite (especially for decorating). I have had a haunted house for the last 25 years on Halloween and love every minute of it !! So in that respect, I must say that the original Halloween is my favorite flick. The intensity and the anxiety is phenominal. The Rob Zombie version isn't bad either. Courtney's step-father is 6 foot 8, and weighs about 350 lbs, and makes one hell of a Michael Meyers (in authentic garb) chasing kids. Our house has become a tradition in our town and we see about 400 to 500 kids on Halloween!!!! Ooooo the candy bill - hahahahahahaha

Time for another quick movie review:

Paranormal Activity
Director Oren Peli is probably one of the biggest scam artists in film history, for he came up with this $15,000 Blair Witch Project/Poltergeist/The Exorcist ripoff that's neither scary nor interesting. And I'm not kidding about the budget, as it uses only one camera and is filmed inside a house. The film is riddled with numerous plot loopholes, an incoherent storyline, two actors just bitching at each other in front of a camera, and an ending that doesn't make sense. (And it doesn't matter whether you saw the online or theatrical version.) Yet despite how horrible this movie came out, it has already raked in $84 million at the box office - which shows how gullible the public can be. Go watch The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day instead.
Rating: :puke::puke::puke::puke:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_UxLEqd074]Paranormal Activity[/ame]

Paranormal Activity
Director Oren Peli is probably one of the biggest scam artists in film history, for he came up with this $15,000 Blair Witch Project/Poltergeist/The Exorcist ripoff that's neither scary nor interesting. And I'm not kidding about the budget, as it uses only one camera and is filmed inside a house. The film is riddled with numerous plot loopholes, an incoherent storyline, two actors just bitching at each other in front of a camera, and an ending that doesn't make sense. (And it doesn't matter whether you saw the online or theatrical version.) Yet despite how horrible this movie came out, it has already raked in $84 million at the box office - which shows how gullible the public can be. Go watch The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day instead.

Paranormal Activity

It's got a 7.2 on IMDB; a lot of people liked it. Blair Witch type movies I guess are back in style.

n

Paranormal Activity

Can't agree. Loved the movie. Saw it with my friends and all of us loved it.

Can't agree. Loved the movie. Saw it with my friends and all of us loved it.

Well, I saw the original cut (which someone managed to download), and the ending was completely anticlimactic. I even turned off all the lights and cranked the surround system to full blast, but it was nowhere remotely scary.

I wonder what would happen if the Maidens saw this movie, though.:err:

I guess I'm just really not into horror films, except for Ringu (the original Japanese version of The Ring) or Ju-On (the original Japanese version of The Grudge).

And now for another quick movie review:

Astro Boy
I usually stay away from western adaptations of anime and manga, especially after Dragonball Evolution flopped miserably this year. However, I found this 3D update of Osamu Tezuka's classic manga very watchable. Sure, there are too many characters and the storyline could've been more fleshed out, but still, the visuals are amazing as well as the sound effects. The movie has an all-star voice cast, featuring Nicolas Cage, Nathan Lane, Donald Sutherland, Bill Nighy (Davy Jones in the Pirates of the Caribbean series), Eugene Levy (Jim's dad in the American Pie series), Kristen Bell (Veronica Mars), Freddie Highmore (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory), Charlize Theron and Samuel L. Jackson; however, Cage's performance is somewhat lackluster and having Samuel L. Jackson seems like an afterthought. The ending is not anticlimactic, but really unnecessary, as it's a cliffhanger unrelated to the storyline and just an excuse to have fans anticipate a sequel (which probably won't happen, as this film has failed to make money so far). Still, if you're into 3D animation, check out Astro Boy.
Rating: :):):)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8H6j6afuOM]Astro Boy[/ame]

Time for this week's quick movie review:

Planet 51
Yesterday, I checked out this CG-animated film starring Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson (now Linda would really want to go see it! :lol:), Jessica Biel, Gary Oldman and John Cleese. It's an homage to the sci-fi alien invasion genre - only with a twist: a human astronaut lands on an alien planet inhabited by green people living in the '50s. The film has its moments like the numerous references to Alien, E.T., Wall-E and other popular sci-fi flicks, but there are also moments when the film feels forced and too derivative of everything else. Otherwise, Planet 51 is a pretty entertaining film for the whole family to watch this month. Sure beats that inane New Moon and that dragging disaster 2012.
Rating: :lol::lol::lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnsp93jIEIA]Planet 51[/ame]