Moving to a new computer

Sep 1, 2001
Chicago
Visit site
sorry i dont which board to put this under.

so im thinking about actually getting a imac because ive been recording on my macbook for years and its really starting to slow down my workflow. im dreading making the move because of all the plugins i have. so the question is, what would be best to get all the plugins i have on my macbook work on the new mac i get? a lot of them are sample libraries that are on external harddrives so its not like i would have to reinstall them.... its the the whole transfer of the liscenses and what forth.
Would cloning be a good idea or is that only good for backing up stuff?
anybody else have experience with making the move? is it awful or was it suprisingly easy??

This sub-forum should be right.

I think you should be able to just clone your macbook's hd. You might have to take out the drive from your imac though. Can't remember if you can clone between the machines. I'll look it up when I get home

I was in the same situation a bit ago. Luckily I waited til the new iMacs cam out. Just got a 21.5" 2.8G i7. This thing SMOKES. Projects that stopped my macbook in its tracks now run easily at way less buffer and like 25% processor usage.

I opted to just go for a clean install of Pro Tools and all my plugins. I don't have a ton, so it only took a couple hours to get it all set up. I couldn't be happier man you'll LOVE the imac.

thanks for the replies. yea looks like ill have to update to snow leapard from leapard to clone it anyhow.
I was actually looking at some of the i3's. i dont consider them to be outdated because they just came out last year. you can find them for just over a grand so its not bad. the i5s and i7s are a little too much for me at this point.