MP3 Players... The Poll

Which one of the four describes your use of MP3 Players?

• I have an MP3 Player... and you can have it over my dead body!

Votes: 53 67.9%
  • I have an MP3 Player... somewhere.

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • I don't have an MP3 Player.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • What's an MP3 Player? Does it have something to do with the interweb?

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
edgeofthorns said:
I understand, but that's where my weirdness comes in! I like to have the actual CD, artwork, jewel case when I go to listen to something. By not doing so, it's like making copies of your favorite books using a Zerox and shelving the book. I have issues....:erk:

DUDE, you can buy all the cds you want and UPLOAD the cds too lol..

I have an ipod mini, and it goes everywhere with me - I'm a pubtran girl, and it makes time spent sitting around go a lot faster. Also lets me ignore malodorous fuckwads with big mouths.

rottingflesh said:
I have one...and I love it.... I work out with it at the gym, I take it on planes since I travel quite a bit.... Dead body.... :)

I listen to mine at work all day when I am not on the phone or in meetings. Plus I have it when I travel for business and an adapter for my car to play the iPod in there too.

edgeofthorns said:
Zod, what are your feelings toward MP3 players? Why are you asking this question?
My feelings? I own an iPod. It's the 3rd one I've owned. I have mixed feelings about iPods, but would never be without an MP3 player. I asked the question because I had nothing better to do.

Zod

At this point I don't know what I'd do without my ipod. I don't just use it in the car or any other times I need portible music, but it doubles as an external harddrive for my mp3s so I don't waste all that space on my computer.

Not to mention with the video its cool to be able to take around episodes of South Park and Family Guy too :)

jdennis007 said:
DUDE, you can buy all the cds you want and UPLOAD the cds too lol..

I think his point is that he doesn't like the idea of just buying the CD to let it collect dust on his shelf while his mp3 player does all the work...

I can kinda understand this way of thinking, and usually for me I do still listen to the actual CDs in the car or stereo if theres a specific album I want to put on.

Honestly though, I wouldn't mind just buying music online through stores like itunes and never buying CDs again if it wasn't for the fact that god forbid anything happens to the ipod I have the original hard copies to listen to themselves or rerip.

He can still bust out the CDs. I understand his point, thank you..I am talking convenience :)

Yngvai X said:
I think his point is that he doesn't like the idea of just buying the CD to let it collect dust on his shelf while his mp3 player does all the work...

I can kinda understand this way of thinking, and usually for me I do still listen to the actual CDs in the car or stereo if theres a specific album I want to put on.

Honestly though, I wouldn't mind just buying music online through stores like itunes and never buying CDs again if it wasn't for the fact that god forbid anything happens to the ipod I have the original hard copies to listen to themselves or rerip.

edgeofthorns said:
I understand, but that's where my weirdness comes in! I like to have the actual CD, artwork, jewel case when I go to listen to something. By not doing so, it's like making copies of your favorite books using a Zerox and shelving the book. I have issues....:erk:

I like my CDs to stay in good condition. I do use them and I like having the physical case but I'm all about my iPod. I use it when I travel (car, plane, etc), at work, while I'm playing PC games so it doesn't lag playing them on my computer, and other times. I have a cheap sandisk player for the gym because I don't want anything to happen to my iPod. I often dl music to test out new stuff people have recommended and over the following months buy what I like and just delete what I don't. I'm down to about 50mb on it so I always have to delete to add new stuff and I'm particular about my bit rates so I usually have the highest quality which takes up a lot of space.
Once the next group of iPods get announced I'll be upgrading from my 20gb one.

eppst1 said:
I have an MP3 player that I use when I workout, work around the house, or travel. I don't use it a whole lot, but I find it very convenient compared to carrying around a CD player.

Same.

I technically have 3 mp3 players, my regular Ipod Photo (30gb) that I listen to constantly, an iPod shuffle for the gym cause the photo is just too big to have strapped to my arm, and an older iRiver that for some reason decided to start erroring out when copying certain files to it so I don't use that one but can't bring myself to get rid of it. I will never be without one again, and I still buy as many cd's as I can afford.

Jibrille said:
...I always have to delete to add new stuff and I'm particular about my bit rates so I usually have the highest quality which takes up a lot of space...

That brings up a good point... what is the bitrate for MP3's from iTunes etc, and what bitrate do people use to burn them on to players?

edgeofthorns said:
I'm a little weird when it comes to CDs. I must own the actual CD + artwork of my favorite bands! I can't be happy with just the song files. I believe it's the collector in me though. Basically, I'm a sucker for the real deal complete with cool looking artwork, photos, etc. It's really cool to me when I have a mint condition, rare, out-of-print release!

I'm exactly the same. I have over 1100 CDs (all bought originals) that are loaded up into four Sony CD changers (three 300-disc and one 400-disc). All of the CDs are ripped into MP3's on my Mac.

I have a first-generation iPod (10GB model...been eying the new 60GB's, though!), which I still use regularly, but I also burn MP3-format CDs to play in the car. I just got a Toyota 4Runner recently, and the in-dash 6-disc CD player supports MP3's, so it's like a 60-disc in-dash changer....sweet!! :headbang: I'm still burning some MP3 CDs to keep in the car with some favorite CDs, mixes, etc.

I've bought exactly two MP3's online....Sammy Hagar's "Swept Away" and the Eagle's "Please Come Home For Christmas". :) The only way I'll buy more MP3's is the same situation...where it's a single song I want, and either (a) it isn't available on a CD, (b) I don't want anything else on the CD, or (c) I already have everything else on the CD (such as the one or two new songss sometimes included on "Greatest Hits" packages).

I just have to have the original disc, artwork, and especially the liner notes (mostly for the lyrics)....

Craig

Magius said:
That brings up a good point... what is the bitrate for MP3's from iTunes etc, and what bitrate do people use to burn them on to players?

There's pretty much all the standards. 128, 160, 192, 256, 320, VBR, etc. I find 312 or VBR to work fine for an mp3. I was importing all my stuff as AAC originally but my sandisk/WMP doesn't support that filetype :( It's a shame because it's currently the best available compression filetype. They also have a lossless filetype but my ear really isn't going to hear the difference between a 312 and lossless. VBR is nice because you can choose your quality you want and it will encode at the best rate for the song. So if you have something that's spoken word, it's not going to be 320 and waste space. I have mine set as high quality VBR.

longshot9 said:
I technically have 3 mp3 players, my regular Ipod Photo (30gb) that I listen to constantly, an iPod shuffle for the gym cause the photo is just too big to have strapped to my arm...
Sounds like you need to do more shoulder, bicep and tricep work, until that 30GB iPod is no longer too big for your arm.:loco:

Zod

I've got the Dell DJ30 30 GB. It holds up to 15,000 songs. I have my 700 cd collection on there so far and have only taken up 7500 songs. Plenty more to go!!!