• Other

Votes: 10 17.9%

• Total voters

Yippee38

Living the dream!
Oct 8, 2002
Somewhere at 33,000'
Visit site
What do you use to listen to mp3s on your computer?

I suspect a lot use Win Media Player, iTunes, and Winamp. I've been using Winamp, but the latest versions are bloatware, so I'm looking for something else. If you use something besides those listed above, I'd like to know what program you are using.

I'm currently using Foobar 2000, awesome program with pretty much endless possibilities though its probably the least user friendly program around.

I use to use Musikcube, but problems with that and it scrobbling on my last.fm has led me to move on. Musikcube is awesome, simple and can do just about anything except play video.

And if your running Linux - I've heard really good things about Amarok... the thing looks insane, though I've never used it.

I've been using Winamp, but the latest versions are bloatware

If you leave the default installation alone then I agree. However, if you take the time to only install what you want it's great. You can go back through and get rid of features you don't need after the fact as well so it's all good. I don't really like how they have ads on the shoutcast page but there's ways around that...

Thing I don't like about winamp is that the Music library is pretty borked. Nothing compares to the way Musicmatch set up their library interface. If I could get Musicmatch's library function put in winamp it would be the be all end all amen the end period

Wait wait...http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details/145830
There's a plugin that does just that! I'm officially a happy guy.

Winamp it is.

I'm running a slightly older version, which might not be as bloated as the newer ones. Still works great, though. I use the Tara plugin for listening to RealAudio material, too. :kickass:

My one complaint is that I haven't found a way to search by band or title within a playlist. Considering I have an 'eveything' playlist that contains -- yep, you guessed it -- everything, that would be more than handy.

I've used iTunes since it first came out since at the time I had an ibook. It was awesome to use on campus since you can stream library's of users on the same network. It was funny when it first got released for PC. Went from like 20 computers to over 100 that very day.
I used to use winamp on my old PC before I got my ibook but it'd crash the thing so much that I have no desire to use the program ever again.
I hate everything to do with WMP. THAT is a bloated program.

RealPlayer (for Rhapsody Music Service, and at times Mp3s), or Windows Media Player. I don't use Winamp generally, but for no particualr reason. I honestly don't know if one plays the music at a high level of quality than the other.

I guess I'm one of the only people using Quintessential by Quinnware. It does everything I need it to do. My stupid, trivial annoyance with Winamp was that I could not figure out how to do time remaining on the playlist; time remaining on a track is easy, but not on the playlist. Unacceptable! :) Maybe I'm just missing it.

Chris

been using winamp since it came out and for me its the best device to play my music as well as it being as user friendly as you can get...Very adaptable as well, digging the new skins

Bear

I use Windows Media Player, but I have mostly wma files on my computer, not MP3s. I've been thinking about changing this, because I've heard that MP3s take up less space. (I also have not had an MP3 player until this past weekend when I got a new cell phone which includes that as a function.)

I like WMP and am pretty comfortable with how it works, so I am not really looking to switch to another player (unless you have some very good reasons - in layman's terms - why I should consider switching).

I do have a few questions, so maybe some knowledgeable folks on this thread can help me out:

• Is there a way to do a mass conversion of wma files in WMP to MP3s?
  • Will I have to recreate all my playlists that I've created or can I convert them too somehow?
  • When I burn CDs from WMP will I need to convert files back to wma's before I can burn them to a CD so they will play in my car or will it do this automatically?

Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction. (And thanks to Yippee for starting this thread, otherwise I might have never bothered to ask.)

I use WMP 10... it works just fine and is easy to use. The newest version is a piece of crap. If 10 becomes obsolete, or incompatible with newer software, then I will probably switch to Winamp or VLC Media Player, which also both work fine and are easy to use.