MP3s... has anyone stopped buying CDs?

here's another point

buying music from spotify/itunes/etc equals almost 0 profit for the artists. digital downloading is an even bigger scam than the physical media recording industry ever managed to pull

so if you want to support artists, buy cd's DIRECTLY FROM THEM. or mp3's directly from them, i guess. bandcamp, for example, is very fair to both artists and listeners.

EDIT: if you wanna be a cool guy when bands dont sell cd's directly, just download everything "illegally" and send a fiver in an envelope directly to the band or by paypal. TOTAL DEATH to amazon/apple/spotify/google etc. no support!!!

Well, wouldn't digital files be the pure form, since that's how it's most typically recorded before the record labels burns them to CD? :loco:

but you can recreate those digital files from the digital CD in their (mostly) original form, and the ripped-from-cd versions are the ones that circulate as mp3s anyway

iirc some high-profile bands have done experiments in that spirit. they put up their new albums for free download on their website in whatever format the listener prefers, from mid-quality mp3 or ogg to FLAC, then there's a paypal button where you can pay however much you think the music is worth. this concept seems to work out really well and is a viable way to make some money with no record label involvement, at least for bands that already have a following.

yeah, that paying the band directly somehow is a good idea.

did you guys read that blog post I put up some days ago how the comedian Louis CK made 1 million dollars in like 10 days from the very same concept???

yeah, that paying the band directly somehow is a good idea.
I would love to do this, and might try to do it where it's feasible. The problem may be, that it's not possible to find anything but 192 Kbps MP3s anywhere other than a retail source.

did you guys read that blog post I put up some days ago how the comedian Louis CK made 1 million dollars in like 10 days from the very same concept???
No... but will do so now.

bandcamp, for example, is very fair to both artists and listeners.

Bandcamp <3

iirc some high-profile bands have done experiments in that spirit. they put up their new albums for free download on their website in whatever format the listener prefers, from mid-quality mp3 or ogg to FLAC, then there's a paypal button where you can pay however much you think the music is worth. this concept seems to work out really well and is a viable way to make some money with no record label involvement, at least for bands that already have a following.

Radiohead did this about 5 years ago with In Rainbows.

I'm never buying a physical copy of a book ever again...except maybe for graphic novels. I wonder why that doesn't bother me as much as buying digital music.
I suppose it's because I rarely, if ever, reread a book, and it just takes up space on a shelf. And when I move (which is often) those fuckers are heavy. They're literally dead weight. Just big unwieldy hunks of paper I have to carry around with me where ever I go.
I remember at one point my collection of books being a source of pride...I pictured my friends coming over and perusing my shelves to see what might be interesting to borrow. Now, I couldn't care less and find it a little embarassing that I ever felt that way.

^ Ugh...I cannot stand that either. Give me a real book any day. I bought my wife a kindle a couple years back and I think we had it for a total of 1 month. Fucking terrible.

Really though, it's all about smelling them fucking pages.

i've moved 1000+ cds several times

it's not particularly light

...the few books I have still pissed me off more.

My wife has a Kindle and just loves it. She use to swear she'd never switch to an electronic reader. Personally, I'm a big fan of trees and air, so books just seem wasteful. And without air, how will anyone survive long enough to see Jerry's physical copy of the latest Hades Archer floating in the pacific gyre? :loco:

MP3s are good... But I prefer the actual CD itself. What if your hard drive crashes and your backup is all fucked up? They are banking on you re purchasing the MP3s.

^ Ugh...I cannot stand that either. Give me a real book any day. I bought my wife a kindle a couple years back and I think we had it for a total of 1 month. Fucking terrible.

Really though, it's all about smelling them fucking pages.

I want to punch people who read books on those silly things. Everything is about smell! You wouldn't go down on a chick who smells like sweaty balls, so why the fuck would you read a 1000 pg novel on this ass? Fuck digital media, only felled forests are tr00! People, stop giving in to the times.

Im downloading a 1000 page text right now. Carrying around a 15 pound book is pretty stupid

yeh im pretty shitty about buying albums lately, but i do try to go to lots of shows and buy a shirt or something direct from the band. monies for them, clothing for me. win friggin win