Music to dream/sleep to...

ruchti

New Metal Member
Jan 21, 2002
Denver, USA
Visit site
What's your favorite group/album/song to close your eyes and fall asleep to?

Ulver's 'Perdition City' has put me to sleep on several occasions and inspired some pretty strange dreams too.

'Winds Blow Higher' from Sleepless has recently become a good night-time album for me as well.

Looking forward to hearing some others...

-ruchti

well this is gonna sound all too cliche for an Opeth forum, but I LOVE listening to this mix Opeth disc of all of their softer stuff and more epic stuff... I just love it when i am lying in bed. One other thing is Lustmord's The Place Were The Black Stars Hang... it is basically just noises and swishes and stuff, but they are arranged in such a cool way it is sorta chilling or even scary if you are home alone with the lights off... I like it! 76 minutes or something of coolness!

Dead Can Dance - any
Nick Drake - Way to Blue
Red House Painters
Low - you could live in hope
Jerry Goldsmith movie scores
The Gathering - How to Measure a Planet
Type O Negative - October Rust
The Sleppy Hollow Soundtrack
Ulver - the acoustic one i am not going to try to spell and Themes...
Swans - Love of Life
Lacrimas Profundere - any
Anathema - any
Katatonia - any
Novembre - any
Hum - any
Black Tape for a Blue Girl - any
His Name is Alive
Tiamat - any
Nick Cave - any
............I go to sleep to music all the time, that is not even the half of it but i guess i should stop now....

Buckethead-Colma
Deathcube K-Disembodied
Limbonic Art-Ad Noctem
Morgion-Amongst Majestic Ruin
Opeth-Morningrise
Dan Swano-Moontower (Those keys fuck with your dreams!)
Labyrinth-Return to Heaven Denied
Artension-Forces of Nature
Grond-Winterkrieger
Anathema-Judgement
Depresy- A Grand Magnificence
My own synth stuff I've been fucking around with

Maudlin of the Well
Opeth
Ocean Machine/terria etc.

Ussually more surreal music helps me sleep. Yet emperor blasted right into my ears, be it the madness of Prometheus or the atmosphere of In The Nightside Eclipse will not only send me to the land of slumber, but promote strange dreams that I never remember.

Any black-metal.... Puts me to sleep straight away. :D

Seriously: Dead Can Dance, Days of the New, The Tea Party

Originally posted by Downfall
Empyrium

Yupp! They work really well to calm me down if I'm
stressed, and have too many ideas floating
around in my head! :eek:) But I can fall asleep to
almost anything if it's not annoying... Just depends
on how little sleep I got the night before >:eek:P

I don't have a habbit of sleeping with music on
though, cause my boyfriends is not really into metal,
and total silence is very nice as well! Pluss, instead
of sleeping I would lie there listening to the music!

I love going to sleep to music, and as I vary the music, it also seems to vary the dreams I endure :D
I can consciously listen to it, and get a different result to only having it on as background music :)

Intense and heavy music doesn't really 'help' me get to sleep, but it is ok to listen every now and again, if I want a weird dream to think about the next day.

For relaxing music, I don't believe I can go past nearly anything by Raison D'etre....epic minimalism, atomospheric perfection that can put you in a dreamscape while you're still awake ;)
In Sadness, Silence And Solitude - The Well Of Sadness + Passing Inner Shield are the gems.
Within The Depths Of Silence and Phormations - It's all good...some would find it 'a bit too avant-garde', but they don't have to listen.
So much more satisfaction and meaning from consciously listening to the music (which I guess is opposite to the point of the thread title :eek: )

Atomine Elektrine (one of the many Peter Andersson side-projects) - Archimetrical Universe.....space-ambient soundscapes.

Necrophorus - (yet another P.A. side-project) Any track/album....Minimalistic. How can one man be so talented!?!?!:confused:

Some Burzum stuff - Filosofem track 5 (25mins!!)

Most stuff off Cold Meat Industry label.....Desiderii Marginis, Letum, Sephiroth

Opeth - Morningrise - To Bid You Farewell

Epic/Classical music/symphonic metal:
Limbonic Art - Moon In The Scorpio - In Mourning Mystique

Drum N' Bass on occasion

How could I have forgotten Dead Can Dance !?!?! And This Mortal Coil.

Select Delerium tracks....Heaven's Earth, Cloud Barrier, Terra Firma, Desert.

Falling You: A great American band on mp3.com covering a range of styles, and having a great female singer.
Less Likely To Believe, Something About Eve

Encomiast: another mp3.com band, minimalistic soundscapes a bit like Raison D'etre, but not as in depth.
Amnios, Without Fear Of Wind or Vertigo

There are more, but I'll stop now while I can :D

I can go to sleep listening to any music, but some of my favorites that work the best are:

Led Zeppelin - Kashmir
Gamma Ray - Victim Of Changes
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Blue Murder - Valley Of The Kings
Tank - The War Drags Ever On

I can blare anything - hard, soft, etc, and fall asleep, while my wife is jittery next to me unable to sleep because of the music.

Originally posted by leadfoot256

The Gathering - How to Measure a Planet

this is probably the best album ever to sleep to!!! its brilliant, its probably the only album to be one of my worst/least favourite and one of my all time favourites!!! i can't believe ii never liked this album before. its brilliant :hotjump:

hmn, i think i'd add Jeff Buckley - Grace to that list. another album i hated and now love. wierd that :rolleyes:

Empyrium (either of their 3 albums)
Dreaming the Romance: Anathema