Music world being Filled with more and more crap and copy artists then ever before?

I'll take Agalloch's ability to make simple yet emotional and atmospheric music over any technical, boring (ie Dream Theater-like) metal band any day.

AngelicDelinquency said:
Asmegin, Agalloch, Celestia, Novembers Doom, MoonSorrow, Arcturus, Sirenia, Therion, Wood of Ypres, Opeth, Lamb Of God, ect
I am compleatly in love with those bands above but recently I've come to a stand still with finding more bands i actually can merely even stand. Is it just me or is there more crap around these days then ever before, theres plenty of bands that claim to be better then those above and plenty that claime to be more "hardcore" then the rest, yet none of these "wannabes" (I loathe that term) ever even live up to being on the same level as the legend bands they claim to be better then.
I've noticed that since the "Nu metal"outbreak the amount of these 'get rich quick, get famous, get laid , get drunk and really provide nothing for the music community" bands have been popping up none stop, all claiming to be the next Metallica or better than any credible band they can come up with. I'm bored of pop bands claiming to be metal and I'm bored of "pussies" claiming to be 'hardcore'. And to be honest these days hardcore purely means lazy assholes who don't even care about the music they create as long as they get sales. It does however, amuse me seeing all these bands rise, fall and dissapear compleatly all , usually within a year.
I just wish more bands that are actually making credible music were promoted the way these "come go" bands are, that way maybe we'd have less little kids running round talking about being "hardcore". Rant over - now rip everthing I said to peices :Spin:

welcome to reality/5 years ago, genius.

the_3_toed_sloth said:
Jesus christ, people who have forgotten how to judge are retarded. Ill dumb this down to a simple, easily absorbable sentence: Just because something is successful, does not inherently mean it is good. Hitler was pretty damn successful, but not so much 'good' as a 'deranged lunatic'. Much music these days is successful, but so inanely derivative, repetitive, bland and formulaic, that there is no point in trying to defend some positive attribute that you've arbitrarily invented to justify its success. Its stupid, lazy music for stupid, lazy people. If you disagree, then you probably don't know any good bands, so cannot tell the difference. There IS good music out there, but its an insult to those truly great bands when you say that the likes of N*Sync deserve their success and recognition, that we should be learning from them.
Why? What is wrong with trying to be positive about things? Yeah, I probably like a lot of bad bands, hence me posting on here :err:

I like a lot of different music. I can put up with lazy music for stupid, lazy people too if I really have to. And I won't just sit there saying "oh my god N*Sync really suck don't they" because 1. Its pretty damn obvious, and 2. because that isn't really a constructive thing to say. I'd probably try to think of something good, like the production or something. I haven't really listened to those pop legends :Smug: but I am guessing there is at least something I could take from "their" music. Maybe not. But I'd at least try.

And how does being repetitive make something bad? A lot of Opeth's riffs are repeated a hell of a lot, and doesn't sound bad to me. And since when was I trying to defend anything? I choose not to listen to music I don't like rather than bad mouth it on the internet that's all. Sorry.

Sfarog said:
I'll take Agalloch's ability to make simple yet emotional and atmospheric music over any technical, boring (ie Dream Theater-like) metal band any day.

I love Agalloch, but I'm also strangly drawn to the likes of Dream Theater, yes I'd take Agalloch over them any day but technical bands are fun - in small doses - Agalloch tends to be better for depression while Bands such as Dark Tranquility and the much overrated Children Of Bodom - though good in their own right - are good for anger ... all depends on your temprement

(ignore spelling mistakes I lean on the moron side of the line)

That's it, most music can be ok in small doses. Sometimes really small. I love CoB at the moment, mainly Follow The Reaper and I know they aren't the best with lyrics, but if I want something with clever and meaningful lyrics I'll listen to CoF or something. I just love it when people say Children Of Bodom are dumbing down their solos even though they are still 90% solo and 10% Chorus...

Gunhaver said:
lol, i know you're not making it up. does that mean these dumbass bands are right? open up a gramma book and get your shit from there, not some horrible metal bandz
You mean grammar you dumbass.

ok, listening to Pale Folklore and 2 songs in I have concluded that the guy has the weakest black metal rasp ever, the riffs are simplistic, and the only solo I've heard was terrible

holy shit 3rd song, intensely pretentious outburst of goth poetry lyrics barked with less tact than that one Suicidal Tendencies song, uh I think it's called Institution

edit: oh wait, atmosphere, I forgot, I guess that makes them awesome now

Shadows Skulk said:
ok, listening to Pale Folklore and 2 songs in I have concluded that the guy has the weakest black metal rasp ever, the riffs are simplistic, and the only solo I've heard was terrible
That could be applied to Burzum, yet they're not shit, so you = wrong.

Really? That's nice to know. Must be the CoF CoB thing. Genius.
However I don't think they are so there we go.
And more to the point I didn't say anything about CoF's music, even though I personally do like them. I said if I want good lyrics I'll listen to them which has nothing to do with them being good or not musically.

Sfarog said:
i agree.

Quality before Quantity please, and that includes quantity of notes.

Gunhaver said:
let's use english folks. it's not agalloch ARE good, it's agalloch IS good
Agalloch wasn't as good as they thought they were as great as the other who were as good as they are right when they thought they were as good as the others who thought they were great.

AGALLOCH IS GOOD!!!!

Sometimes Simplicity is the best, music tends to be very thought provocking and when music is too full and busy it complicates things that needn't be complicated. I'm not so fond of CoF for some reason, I liked them when I was 11 coming on 12 though ... Agalloch aren't entirely black metal - I'm being padantic now, but they are also classed as Melodic Black Metal , and I know someones going to point out there's hardly a difference, but there's enough to notice.

opethoid said:
Agalloch wasn't as good as they thought they were as great as the other who were as good as they are right when they thought they were as good as the others who thought they were great.

AGALLOCH IS GOOD!!!!
I can't understand that even after reading it 5 times.