Godheads Lament - Now and then.

In case you're unaware, they have put this song back into the set list. I am overjoyed. You should be too. It's a fantastic song. I wish they would have played it earlier this year :erk: But now I get to be hopeful for 09.

Anyway, after listening to and collecting every bootleg of this song I could possible find over the years, and hearing the song live at Gigantour (I :cry: it was so good); I must say that this song sounds as good as I've ever heard it with the newer line-up. I'm admittedly in the somewhat unpopular nowadays "Lopez is god, that was the best era" crowd. Until recently, I have never been so blown away by Axe's renditions of what I consider one of Lopez' more "Lopez-y" songs.

Aside from Axe being spot on, Per and Fred do the harmony vocals at the end. Per didn't use to bother on that part. Now, it's infinitely better.

In short - Godheads Lament is already a fuckin' great song. Now it's even better.

The end.

I haven't found one good live version (quality wise) where did you get them?

^^

stunning performance!

just two things i dont like about it:
freds lead tone
solo sounded a bit weird, its one of my fav opeth solos but this sounded like a bit jammier/half improvised or something o.0

but other than that: holy shit, opeth is a tight live band! :D

Things I noticed about this 2008 live arrangement compared to previous:

-Axe does 16th notes on all the fast double bass parts throughout instead of dropping to triplets like Lopez did, including the ending.

-Mike's solo is improv'd, even more than the previous live arrangement.

-Mike and Fred harmonize at the end of the solo, a la the Leper Affinity live solo.

-I don't remember Per singing on it before, but I can't remember if they've even had Godheads in the setlist since he's joined.

Somebody said Fred sang at the end of this? I missed it.

To comment on Peter vs. Fred live: I've seen plenty of shows live before my eyes and on the internet with Peter and have seen him mess up plenty of times. I actually remember him trainwrecking the solo to When in St. Petersburg, FL a few years back when they toured with Into Eternity and Nevermore...just totally blew the ending and stopped playing before Mike even went into the clean arrpegio part!

Now grant it, I've only seen the new lineup in action once, not to mention all the internet videos, and they are a lot tighter than they used to be, and they were already pretty tight before the new lineup.

Anyway, what I'm getting at here is that to say there's no comparing the old and the new lineup in favor of the old lineup being WAY tighter or whatever is pretty delusional. The proof is in the pudding. Even in this thread with the two different versions of Godheads!

I'd take Fred live and Peter in studio. Fred's the better player to perform the songs but Peter's solos in the studio like in Deliverance and Beneath the Mire are just epic.