Musical skills

Jupetus

New Metal Member
May 6, 2006
Finland
Hi everyone! (my first thread, sorry for bad english)

I have just wondered 'cause the guys in the band are all great players but has the guys studied any music theory? I got the view that Per knows really something about music but I just want to know that does the guys know anything, especially Mike 'cause he's the songwriter of the band and stuff, and if they know then how have they studied it? Have they had a teacher or have they studied on their own? And has Mike or Peter taken any guitarlessons?

Hope you understand the text. :p

i guess mike never had lessons but i'm not sure. i wonder it too:) cause they're very talented and play very well.. all i know is that mike's first guitar was bought by his grandmother when he was very young.. you can find some information from the chapters and the lamentations dvd or someone in the forum:)

Yea I know just the things Mike have said in the dvds and interviews. I don't remember what interviews it was but I remember that Mike once said that he started playing when his grandma gave him a guitar and some noob notebooks where he learnt House of the raising sun and stuff. :)

yeah that's right he had some notebooks.. but i guess he learnt playing guitar by himself.. i'm not sure:) still..:)

I'd say Per knows many things about musical theory and background. And Peter seems to have studied something, also, but well, don't know for sure, I'm not himself ^^'

In all likelihood, they all know at least some theory, though probably not hardcore knowledge of it. Whether they took lessons or studied on their own or whatever, I dunno.

I'ts a really interesting thing to ask. I think opeth's music is actually pretty complex (especially compared to other metal bands) at some songs, and has some pretty interesting beats to it...

I really think he must know a lot (Mikael that is) seeing he writes the music, and the band members are great musicians! So basicly he must have some theory knowledge, I'd think pretty big knowledge.

But you can never know! What you know is that the music is spectacular :D

I think most of the successful musicians in general learn the instruments themselves. Their music last forever because whatever they do follows out from within them. I think Opeth is one of those bands.

Mike's influences were pretty broad even back in the day when they started out which undoubtedly lead to the musical direction they took with the first album... As you can see Mike's influences are becoming even more broad with time, and he tosses a bit of Camel here, some Porcupine Tree there, maybe a dash of Tool... I don't know if it has to do with theory so much per se, as Mike just writing what he thinks sounds good a piece at a time and then putting it all together. Plus I'm sure a great deal of "endurance practicing" assisted with being able to construct complex chord arrangements and such.