I wonder what Mike thinks about Agalloch

He also loves Porcupine Tree. I think he's just got really high standards, and much of today's music doesn't quite meet up to that. Not that everything older is golden, but the quality of bands coming out in the ol' days was, on average, higher.

Well, the "ol' days" produced more amazing classics in the rock genre like Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, The Beatles, and tons of others as well as in genres like jazz and blues, but when you start collecting obscure 70s prog that no one's ever heard of (see the music mike's looking for thread), then it becomes more about your personal tastes...

I think it all comes down to taste. Mike's taste has always seemed more along the prog lines. Agalloch is an amazing and talented band, just not his taste.

Is agalloch supposed to be somekind of wannabe Opeth-band?
That's atleast what i thought, then i listened to The White EP (or something like that).
Which was like 30-40 minutes of boring instrumental acoustic tracks.
o_O

:lol:

Beat it.

I've always loved Ashes Against the Grain. Listening to The Isle of Summer right now for the first time and absolutely loving it :saint:

Agalloch > 99.99999% of bands out there
Whoever doesn't think so has shitty music taste and has not sense for atmosphere

dude taste is personal and subjective, just because someone dislikes one band doesnt mean he has shitty taste.
its like many ppl dislike DT just because of lebrie's vocals, doesnt mean they have a shitty taste in prog bands.
:Smug:

I like Agalloch. I think that some of their elements are similar to what Opeth or Ulver have done in the past, especially the folk parts, but I also think that they have created their own unique sound which is nice blend of metal, folk, and post-metal. They have even experimented with using ambient stuff lately - White EP has quite a bit of it on there.

I also can see how their music may not click with some.