Must have of 2005...

Stimuli

Crazy Bastard
Jun 16, 2005
Toronto
I have purchased the following 2005 albums ...

Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked
Arcturus - Sideshow Symphonies
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavour
Between the Buried and Me - Alaska
Cryptopsy - Once Was Not
Porcupine Tree - Dead Wing

it doesn't have to be heavy...but what other albums would you guys consider are "must-buy" albums of 2005

its all subjective really...

i "would" prolly call it must-buy... but thats just me...

i just lsited the albums i already bought so people would know what ELSE to mention..

Well, I made my top ten of 2005 (along with honarable mentions). Some of these you already mentioned, so you can just overlook those. I would suggest testing them out first just to make sure they are your thing (I like a few different styles of music...some are shunned by the majority of the metal community...meh, like what you like).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
01. Opeth: Ghost Reveries
Anyone who knows me does not find this a surprise at all. Being my favorite band, they are always in the top ten when they release a CD. This time the band really went all out and constructed one the best albums in their catalog.

02. Porcupine Tree: Deadwing
Now, I was disappointed with this release...but I still love the album. I think it was a step down from In Absentia, but the songs are still well-written, I still love Steven's vocals, and the artwork is very cool. Not their best, but still a great album.

03. Cryptopsy: Once Was Not
What can I say about this band? Lord Worm is back, Flo is still one of the greatest drummers of all time, and they out-did themselves with this release. I think this is my favorite album from them (if not, it is just a hair under None So Vile).

04. Modern Life is War: Witness
I am not a huge hardcore fan, but release blew me away. They certainly had something going for them on My Love. My Way., but this album just slays the old release and really gives them a name for themselves. Their progression alone got them to the number four spot on this list.

05. Dredg: Catch Without Arms
Just a well-crafted album. Very catchy.

06. Pelican: The Fire in Our Throats will Beckon the Thaw
They never cease to amaze me.

07. Between the Buried and Me: Alaska
Their most well-crafted of the three in their discography. Some great musicianship, some great songs.

08. Strapping Young Lad: Alien
Oh god...my ears...one of the heaviest albums I have ever heard.

09. A Life Once Lost: Hunter
My faith in this band was restored because of this album. I loved the Fourth Plague: Flies EP, but I despised A Great Artist. This album shows the band at their best.

10. Mew: And the Glass Handed Kites
Great band with a new lovely album. Very catchy, awesome vocal melodies, highly recommended.

Honorable Mentions
These bands also put out solid efforts and should be checked out.

Blackfield: Blackfield (American version came out 2005, technically it is a 2004 release)

Circa Survive: Juturna

Coheed and Cambria: Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear through the Eyes of Madness

Fantomas: Suspended Animation

Jesu: s/t

The Mars Volta: Frances the Mute

The Number 12 Looks Like You: Nuclear.Sad.Nuclear.

Sigur Rós: Takk

Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Subterranean Masquerade - Suspended Animation Dreams

Arcturus - Sideshow Symphonies
Frameshift - In Absence of Empathy
Aeon - Bleeding the false

Nightingale - Nightfall Overture
Nile - AOTW

Are a must.

easily the best metal albums released 2005:
High on Fire - Blessed Black Wings
Slough Feg - Atavism

Teir 1.
Opeth
Arcturus
Porcupine Tree

Tier 2.
Nevermore
Kamelot
Green Carnation
Pelican
Sonata Arctica
Blackfield (if is was 2005)

Tier wtf.
dredg...this band wrote the definition of "nothing special". I say this is good music. But why is everyone raving about it?

Is the new Pelican the same as Australasia???

Im interested in hearing it and it got the same star rating on allmusic as Australasia. however, i found Australasia to be a serious snorefest...

will i feel the same about the new one?

thanks for the suggestions... keep them coming if there are some, i defenitly will pick up a couple titles listed here.

Braighs said:
dredg...this band wrote the definition of "nothing special". I say this is good music. But why is everyone raving about it?

While I have not raved about it myself, I do think it is a release worth checking out. el cielo was a bit more of a dragging release, this finds the band with more vocal melodies...it is catchier. I certainly enjoyed it.

Stimuli said:
Is the new Pelican the same as Australasia???

Im interested in hearing it and it got the same star rating on allmusic as Australasia. however, i found Australasia to be a serious snorefest...

will i feel the same about the new one?

If you found that release to be really boring, then I would say probably just have a downloaded copy and give it a few listens.

Pelican tends to require a certain mood/atmosphere (as with most music, but especially with them) in order for you to enjoy them. If you need some background music to help you think, bands like Pelican or Explosions in the Sky really do the trick.

It did get on my top ten, but it is because when I am in the mood for slow soundscapes...they just pull it off so well. If I was not in that kind of mood, then they would bore me also.

R0l0 said:
Blackfield is definately 2004; only the American release was this year. The Arcade Fire album up there is 2004 as well..

Well that explains it...I did not know it was released that much earlier outside of the U.S.

And shit, The Arcade Fire (even though it is still a great release, and should be checked out...they are insane live) was not supposed to be on there, that has been edited out.

Sorry about that.

you must buy:

PRIMORDIAL - The Gathering Wilderness
CANDLEMASS - Candlemass
RIVERSIDE - Second Life Syndrome
NOVEMBERS DOOM - Pale Haunt Departure
AKERCOCKE - Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone
EVOKEN - Antithesis Of Light
NOCTE OBDUCTA - Nektar, Teil II
MOURNING BELOVETH - A Murderous Circus