must have prog rock albums

Honestly I don't see how anyone can take Chronometree seriously. It is probably the worst record I have ever spent money on. :lol:

Similarly, I think Spock's Beard has far more to offer than Beware of Darkness. Specifically V, Snow, and Feel Euphoria are excellent in my opinion. Yes folks, it's OK to like new music. You don't have to limit yourself to obscure initial releases to remain intellectually superior.

Marillion is consistant in putting out good records, if not a little different in style these days. They may have a classic sound but they are definitely an original band and I won't hear bashing on them, even the new album "Marbles" is quite good. Seasons End will always be my favorite.

I agree about The Flower Kings though.

As stupid as it is to see the same thread weekly, especially when the 70s Prog Rock thread holds all the info you could want, theres been some very good recommendations. Some of my recent fav albums: T.2 - It'll All Work Out In Boomland, Ulver - Perdition City, Black Bonzo - Lady Of The Light, Efterklang - Efterklang, PFM - Photos Of Ghosts, Camel - Moonmadness Anekdoten - Gravity, Anekdoten - Gravity, Caravan - In The Land Of Grey & Pink, Porcupine Tree - Deadwing (or The Sky Moves Sideways), Pink Floyd - Animals, Ayreon - Into The Electric Castle (or The Human Equation), Yes - Close To The Edge (or Relayer), Gentle Giant - The Power & The Glory...hell, i should stop there, as with prog you can talk and talk and talk. So many great bands and amazing albums....hahaha and yes, better than PoS and Riverside.

PoS and Riverside are exceptional and do not deserve the slamming that I am seeing.

However, +1 for Ulver - Perdition City.

All of you replying, take a look at the first post and then look again at your replies. This guy is not after vintage prog.

Kenneth R. said:
Honestly I don't see how anyone can take Chronometree seriously. It is probably the worst record I have ever spent money on. :lol:

Similarly, I think Spock's Beard has far more to offer than Beware of Darkness. Specifically V, Snow, and Feel Euphoria are excellent in my opinion. Yes folks, it's OK to like new music. You don't have to limit yourself to obscure initial releases to remain intellectually superior.

Marillion is consistant in putting out good records, if not a little different in style these days. They may have a classic sound but they are definitely an original band and I won't hear bashing on them, even the new album "Marbles" is quite good. Seasons End will always be my favorite.

I agree about The Flower Kings though.

I really like V, that's my second favorite SB album. Snow has it's moments but also some very weak tracks. The Nick-led SB just doesn't do it for me. Take Ballet of the Impact. To my ears, that song is a perfect example of how the band reaches, but ultimately fails in its current lineup. Feel Euphoria is better, but not great IMHO.

I agree about Marbles and Season's End. Great records. I also like some of the pop-influenced tracks off of Holidays in Eden and most of Brave & Afraid of Sunlight.

The vocals kill Mostly Autumn for me. They don't impact the music, which can be quite nice. Another neo-prog band to check out is Anekdoten. Their first two records are very Red-era Crimson influenced, but Gravity, their latest, is really their own sound and quite good.

Glass Hammer was an aquired taste for me, and Chronomotree is an anomalous album for them in that Brad Marler does the vocals, but the story line cracks me up and the album is crackin' to my ears. As for Lex Rex-Shadowlands-Inconsolable Secret, the keys win the day for me on these releases.

1. most of us have also been posting recent music
2. i don't see why he wouldn't be after vintage prog... it's all music after all, right? it's not as if the bands he's listed aren't compatible with the classic stuff

A Darkness Coming said:
to NFU
ar u joking or what COB and dimmu burger is shit man

find out what NFU is/means and you have your answer. :Smug:

I'll recommend you the new DT (NO, DT stands not for Dream Theater) "Synchestra", everything by The Mars Volta, I.E.M., Bass Communion and "Hinterland" by Wobbler

you see? i don't want to be a prick but i'm actually trying to help out here, and not list the 10 greatest prog albums of all time.

the dude wants active bands in the style of those bands he already likes. Hence my recommendations.

I'm not arguing the qualities of KC or Genesis etc... great stuff. But that's not what he's asking.

ps- personally I think Riverside and Pain of Salvation are two of the best new bands in a while.

The Mars Volta are great. Riverside are good but I don't like them as much as Anathema and Porcupine Tree etc.

Yes- close to the edge, relayer
pink floyd- DSOTM
Jethro tull- passion play, thick as a brick, aqualung
rush
zeppelin(duh)
dreamtheater- train of thought
symphony x- all of them