must have prog rock albums

It's nice to see Yes cited so much. They're great! Has anyone seen the Yessongs video? What I find very interesting as I watch it today are some long-haired guys standing up headbanging during some songs.

My add:

Genesis - A Trick Of The Tail

King Crimson - everything!!!
Steve Hackett 'Voyage Of The Acolyte' 'Live Archive 70, 80, 90' - 4 CD box, really great live recordings
Pink Floyd - 'Wish You Were Here', "Dark Side Of The Moon', 'The Final Cut'
Roger Waters 'Amused To Death'
Jethro Tull 'Aqualung'
If you want some jazz-influenced prog:
Henry Cow 'Leg End'
Osanna 'Palepoli'
Soft Machine 'Six'

Tubbs Mcgee said:
We seriously need to come up with a plan, and soon. This forum is turning into ruin.
guess what fatty, the forum turned into shit when your wave of newbies started making the same threads that had already been made. but only now that another wave of samey threads start appearing, do you complain. face it - it's the natural way of things.

nevertheless, like mikael said - we need more discussion on good music, and seeing as i haven't contributed to the other thread, i'll post my favourites here. i'm still exploring this genre, but here are some very good prog (and must-have) albums.

[classic]
king crimson - in the court of the crimson king
yes - close to the edge
comus - first utterance
pink floyd - animals
genesis - selling england by the pound

[new]
morte macabre - symphonic holocaust
paatos - timeloss
anekdoten - gravity
wobbler - hinterland
ulver - perdition city

i have to thank the contributors to the 'rare prog from the early 70s' (look it up) for most of these , and other, great albums

MasterOLightning said:
I highly recommend Scenes from a Memory by Dream Theater, and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence to a lesser extent. If you like your prog leaning towards prog metal, you'll like these.
#
if you want less cheese, however, try Fates Warning's "Awaken the guardian", "A pleasant shade of grey" or "Perfect Symmetry"!

;)

NineFeetUnderground said:
orphaned land
wintersun
kamelot
win!

judging from the original post, I don't think he's after 70's obscure prog (ala the other thread).

So I'll add:

Mostly Autumn
dredg
Marillion
Pineapple Thief
Anathema

as for Fates Warning:
FWX & A Pleasant Shade of Grey are my favorites.

NineFeetUnderground said:
children of bodom
woods of ypres
orphaned land
subteranean masquerade
dimmu borgir
wintersun
kamelot

I don't know what you are listing here, but Orphaned Land does NOT belong in that list. :hotjump:

...hell, neither does Kamelot.

edit - ok, I get it, you don't like modern prog metal. ...too bad.

Anoter vote here for Roger Waters' Ammused to Death. Great, great record.

I like some neo-prog, but not the bands that sound exactly like another, earlier, classic band, namely Genesis (early Marillion, IQ) or Yes (Starcastle), but some bands in the neo-genre produce quality work. Both albums by Anglagard are not to be missed. Other favorites are Beware of Darkness by Spock's Beard and Chronomotree through Inconsolable Secret by Glass Hammer. About the only Flower Kings record I can stomach is Retropolis. IMHO, they are not a very good band, a mishmash of stylings that never really comes together. As for Dream Theater, their music bores me. Too much sameness and I don't care for James LaBrie's vocals. Don't get me wrong, the guys in Dream Theater are excellent musicians, I just don't care for the product. They do, however, do a killer cover of Zeppelin's Achilles' Last Stand.

Many of the classic 1970's bands have already been mentioned here and that is where one should start. Oh, and anything by Van Der Graaf Generator is worth having, including some Peter Hammill solo records, notably Fool's Mate and The Fall of the House of Usher.