My 2p about metal writing

That's what I thought. Maybe next time you'll refrain from making statements you're too busy to support.

If you really expected that I would go and pay a studio, to make a rap song, in order to win an argument I had with a guy on the internet, then I really don't know what to say.

Well first of all rap and pop are not music. No I'm not trolling in this case, I'm 100% serious. Boasting about how many gangstas you killed, and how you selled your mom to get money (all that in a talking way, not even singing), coupled with a "yo", and "nigga" is not music. Same goes for pop. Having huge boobs and ass does not make you any less talentless.

Also, what "stuck in the past" actually means? That some songs/albums are legendary and so good, that people still listens them 40 years later? I would gladly listen to something new, that has even 1/32 the awesomeness of Zeppelin or <insert band here>, but I'm sorry there's not.

Leave brainwashed people to their ignorance/arrogance, to think whatever they want about metal. Talking to sheeps does not get you anywhere.

Luls.

Fucking moron.

I like how this guy openly dismisses the avant garde death metal, post black metal, post metal, and stoner doom revival bands that are cranking out new ideas like it's going out of style.

I dunno man, a mash-up of styles doesn't seem like much of a new idea.

Well first of all rap and pop are not music. No I'm not trolling in this case, I'm 100% serious. Boasting about how many gangstas you killed, and how you selled your mom to get money (all that in a talking way, not even singing), coupled with a "yo", and "nigga" is not music. Same goes for pop. Having huge boobs and ass does not make you any less talentless.

Also, what "stuck in the past" actually means? That some songs/albums are legendary and so good, that people still listens them 40 years later? I would gladly listen to something new, that has even 1/32 the awesomeness of Zeppelin or <insert band here>, but I'm sorry there's not.

Leave brainwashed people to their ignorance/arrogance, to think whatever they want about metal. Talking to sheeps does not get you anywhere.

Don't speak on things you don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you really expected that I would go and pay a studio, to make a rap song, in order to win an argument I had with a guy on the internet, then I really don't know what to say.

Do you have any other way of substantiating your claim that rap takes no talent or skill? "I listened to it and it sounded easy." Pfft, whatever, you can find someone saying that about anything.

Just say "I don't like it." Don't claim to know things about it when you don't.

I'll agree that most mainstream music, including rap, sucks. That doesn't mean rap sucks. You just don't know any good artists because you only have heard the mainstream shit probably. Give these a try.

Something a lot of people don't seem to really get on board with is the fact that in rap, the music itself is really just drum and bass most the time. Rap is about making your voice an instrument, and building rhythm with that alone. The entire genre is more focused on the most original rhymes possible than instrumental content, and if they manage to excel in both, you get Tech N9ne.

Seriously though.... not even Eminem or Tupac? Both very mainstream and very good. Bone thugz in harmony? Everyone has some respect there.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread fucking sucks.

I'd rather blast Bathory and drink Hamms than listen to whatever "new" genre of music is coming out today anyways. I don't care if metal is stuck in "1995" or not, I just want non-shitty music.

This thread fucking sucks.

I'd rather blast Bathory and drink Hamms than listen to whatever "new" genre of music is coming out today anyways. I don't care if metal is stuck in "1995" or not, I just want non-shitty music.

You're starting to get it, bro

I'm not talking only about mainstream today's acts. Most of the stuff from the most respected rappers from the rap community, is about gang wars, exploiting prostitution, and general boasting. You also need no talent (neither vocals, nor playing any instrument), to write or "sing" an average rap song.

Rapping, like extreme metal vocals, is not singing. That does not mean that it doesn't take talent to rap well. Seriously, let's hear you spit a flow if it's so easy.

And saying every rap album is about hoes, gang wars and boasting is like saying every metal album is about murder, Satan and suicide. It just shows that you're ignorant on the genre.

And saying every rap album is about hoes, gang wars and boasting is like saying every metal album is about murder, Satan and suicide. It just shows that you're ignorant on the genre.

Furthermore, a lot of rap about gang wars, hoes, and makin' fat stacks is just as awesome as infantile metal about Satan.

YellowEyedDemon, I'll finance every portion of your rap endeavor so long as you crank out another Low End Theory, Paul's Boutique, or Liquid Swords. I'm serious. I'll go to the bank tomorrow.

Regarding metal being "stuck in the past": Perhaps we're at a paradigm shift? I'm only blindly speculating here, but perhaps the internet era has exposed a multitude of different artistic subcultures utterly foreign to metal, which could account for the Hunter-Hunt-Hendrixs of the world having minimal exposure to the genre and synthesizing it with their own musical and ideological backgrounds. Shit, I saw a "top 20" list on Facebook from one of my friends that goes to Pitchfork events and the like, and Deafheaven's latest album was on it. I also happen to know that he despises metal. Something tells me this branching off upsets a lot of purists who arbitrarily impose musical and ideological standards that must be met in order for something to be "true" metal, perhaps out of some longing for solidarity and "purity" within the genre.

Both sides suck. I'd legitimately rather listen to top 40 bullshit than Liturgy, and would laugh hysterically if I saw HHH get punched in his dumb face, but the manchildren troglodytes that are actually concerned with this musical movement are just as silly.

Since we're back on the subject of Liturgy, thought it might be appropriate to address this...

(again, whether you hate Liturgy or not, and whether the music is any good or not, it is new and creative).

I spent a good amount of time and energy over the past couple years trying to defend Liturgy on their musical merits alone, because I give Velvet Cacoon, Leviathan and Burzum the same courtesy. Here's the best I could come up with.

One of the things that's irritating about HHH relates to what Guy (Addo) mentioned in the above post - he has only encountered black metal on the surface level. Because of this, the fellow is unaware of multitudes of bands who have captured a similar ecstatic, weightless atmosphere... and these bands preceded Liturgy by a decade or two on some counts. Are we to dismiss the majesty of albums the like of Om, V: Havitetty, 1184, Frost, and Blood in Our Wells? We must do so in order to lend credence to this so-called "Transcendental Black Metal" of the eponymous manifesto.

The other facet of Henry's argument that grinds my gears is that the second wave Norwegian bands that he stands in opposition toward knew how to write an entire album's worth of material in a cohesive manner, minimizing the frill of extended transitions and noise sections. Aesthethica has 3 or 4 standout tracks, and don't get me wrong, they are very good. "Returner" is welcome in a number of playlists I might assemble. However, as an entire album, Liturgy's hallmark release is weak, unfocused and tedious. It's written like a pop album with some hit singles instead of a metal album that's rewarding from start to finish.

... But yeah, GMD has already discussed the band at length. No need to beat a dead horse.