My Acoustic Treatment

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

So my friend finally finished putting together the last of the acoustic panels we had in the works for a while. As a temporary storage solution we've offloaded 19 of them in my project studio.

The improvement in acoustics is almost beyond words.

Here are some pics that say it better than I can:

ermin-mixpos.jpg

left-corner.jpg

rear.jpg

right-side.jpg

It's been a long time coming but now that it's finally here it has turned my abysmal bedroom into a pseudo-studio sounding room. I actually get bass notes now!

Thanks for reading! In case you're looking to do your own acoustic treatment, by all means give it a shot. It is so much better than listening in an untreated environment. Even very dead is a huge improvement over close parallel walls doing slapback :)

Ermin.

Damn, good job on the DIY's Ermin, but I think the quantity of 'em might be a bit excessive - I would've just put 'em in all the corners (floor to ceiling) and in the early reflection points and leave it at that...plus, where do you put them when you need to, say, enter and exit your room? :lol: And what monitors are those?

Hey man, the overkill is what it's all about!

Nah, I had 8 prior to this - 4 bass traps straddling corners and 4 broadbands at first reflection points, but it simply wasn't enough. The imaging and clarity is so much greater now. Believe me, in a small room like this 4 bass traps do jack squat. Overkill is the only way to fly.

I've conveniently left enough room to exit and enter the room, however getting to clothing and the light switch is a different matter :lol:

I look forward to getting used to this new sound (more difference than changing monitors) and hammering out some new mixes soon. Also waiting on the reamping gear to get started on that aspect.

The monitors are Mann PMA6s. Generic Chinese brand which are branded by a few different manufacturers. They seem to have vanished from the local market over the years. Some of the best $300 I ever spent, though they're showing their age and limitations quite clearly to me now.

PS. White Sox ftw indeed.

ahaha, nice Ermin! Did you have those built for you/build those yourself, or are they brand name? I'm waiting to get some treatments until i have my new place (~8 months away... arghh), because i plan on building them exactly to fit the room. Next step for you is to get rid of that huge ass reflector right between your monitors ;) (i actually gave away my TV, which used to sit between my speakers... big difference in the center image!)

everything is black.

nice work, have you tried shooting your room to see the frequency response? btw there is such a thing as too many bass traps lol. One day i'll get around to making some.

any build pics?

Trep, a quick search in the Sneap forum will definitely turn up a shit-ton of threads/posts on the subject of DIY traps and treatment.

~006

The monitors are Mann PMA6s. Generic Chinese brand which are branded by a few different manufacturers. They seem to have vanished from the local market over the years. Some of the best $300 I ever spent, though they're showing their age and limitations quite clearly to me now.

PS. White Sox ftw indeed.

Yeah, I thought they didn't look like K&H. :)

FWIW, you can never have too much trapping.

Oh I've been there since I was born Dan. Ever wonder why I'm always trying to return to the frozen north? :p

@Mumble: Definitely. I've been thinking of ways to get rid of this monitor, or at the least push it back behind the speakers. No dice so far as I don't have a decent studio desk that will fit the room.

@Keith: According to Ethan from RealTraps there's no such thing as too many bass traps. I'm inclined to agree personally, as the more I cram in here the better it sounds. Our bass traps are 150mm thick and have a reflective membrane on the outside face to be semi-reflective at the highs and keep some life in the room. We haven't done any response tests yet - to be frank I'm scared they'll turn up worse than expected and I'll have to cram more in here.

There are some build pics around:

n1059209714_30077909_6551.jpg

n1059209714_30118185_3330.jpg

n1059209714_30077914_8027.jpg

Then of course you've seen the finished products in my room.

The insulation we used wasn't ideal, as every acoustic insulation product in Oz sucks. We're still trying to scout out better ones, and perhaps even a bit safer and easier to work with than rockwool. We're thinking polyester-based insulation the next time around.

... Our bass traps are 150mm thick and have a reflective membrane on the outside face to be semi-reflective at the highs and keep some life in the room...

Just a minor note i thought i would clarify and or nit pick.

The insulation in the bass trap is 150mm thick. The bass trap itself is 194mm thick, this was due to construction restraints. So it also has a pocket of air at the rear.

Thanks for all the compliments.