My Argosy Arrived

to make up for the quietness of the adam a7's for A/B comparison

Seriously, you find the Adams quiet? I am listening to a pair of Wharfedale 8.2 Pro which are 100W and have never had to go over the middle of their volume knob. The Adams are 80W so that should still be enough for normal applications.

As far as the A7s go, I've A/Bed them thoroughly against other monitors. Bigger ADAMs, Dynaudios, Yamahas etc. I found them rather hyped sounding. There is a huge hole in the mids and I could hear so much more detail with HS80ms and BM6as. I realized then that Adam speakers are not for me at all. My current speakers are hyped as shit and I'm looking to get away from that. It's good for vibe, but bad for mixing midrange with detail in mind.

Really? I keep reading reviews praising the midrange of the A7 and the clarity of the ribbon tweeter and in the worst case portraying the Adams as slightly lacking in the low end and bright (which perhaps can be compensated for by the eq controls at the back). Having mentioned the controls, did you check if they were set to neutral position?

I've been saving for a pair of A7s for some time now and would hate to be convinced they are not a very good choice. Dynaudio Bm5A are another speaker I was aiming at but they are 150euro
more than the Adams. Too bad there's no place I can hear the A7. I've heard and not particularly liked the hs80, I've also heard and I quite liked the Bm5a...damn I need more money.

As far as the A7s go, I've A/Bed them thoroughly against other monitors. Bigger ADAMs, Dynaudios, Yamahas etc. I found them rather hyped sounding. There is a huge hole in the mids and I could hear so much more detail with HS80ms and BM6as. I realized then that Adam speakers are not for me at all. My current speakers are hyped as shit and I'm looking to get away from that. It's good for vibe, but bad for mixing midrange with detail in mind.

i strongly disagree with you here.

the mids are very full and a good mix will sound very blended on these speakers

Man, you should seriously stay away from the Mackies. The best thing I ever did for my mixes was move away from those crap piles. I've talked to a few others that have thought the same too.

I cant speak from personal experience, but I've seen a few pros with the mixes to back it up talk about the KRK V8s.

As a little side note , I think it's pretty fucking hilarious you're producing and mixing bands who out sell most of the people on the forum (probably myself included) in a basement with a fucking pod pro and a couple of mismatched monitors. :lol::lol: Good shit! Your mixes kill dude.

btw for anyone wondering about the adam a7's, they only have low end in the sweet spot, and they're DEFINATELY near fields in every sense of the word. you gotta be at the listening position to hear the mix correctly. as soon as you're out of the spot, the low end dissapears.

the speakers aren't especially fatiguing from what i can tell.

im used to behringer truths which might be crap in most books (and i'll admit they pretty much are), but those suckers are LOUD, and i'll probably buy a pair of mackies (that they were modeled after) to make up for the quietness of the adam a7's for A/B comparison

btw for anyone wondering about the adam a7's, they only have low end in the sweet spot, and they're DEFINATELY near fields in every sense of the word. you gotta be at the listening position to hear the mix correctly. as soon as you're out of the spot, the low end dissapears.

Could this be due to the acoustics of the room? I have around 15-20 broadband absorbers and while they really help there are still some peaks and nulls that can clearly be heard while walking around in the room. Perhaps your listening position is right at a peak or between nulls? I'm just curious because low frequencies are almost omnidirectional (not sure if it's the correct term) right?

Man, you should seriously stay away from the Mackies. The best thing I ever did for my mixes was move away from those crap piles. I've talked to a few others that have thought the same too.

I cant speak from personal experience, but I've seen a few pros with the mixes to back it up talk about the KRK V8s.

As a little side note , I think it's pretty fucking hilarious you're producing and mixing bands who out sell most of the people on the forum (probably myself included) in a basement with a fucking pod pro and a couple of mismatched monitors. :lol::lol: Good shit! Your mixes kill dude.

haha thanks for the compliments dave! i've always loved your work so it means a lot to me coming from you! all i can say is that i have really picky clients and i am even pickier. so when it comes down to it, a mix isnt finished until all picky people involved are starting to be less picky about the song in question.

STAY PICKY PEOPLE!

Could this be due to the acoustics of the room? I have around 15-20 broadband absorbers and while they really help there are still some peaks and nulls that can clearly be heard while walking around in the room. Perhaps your listening position is right at a peak or between nulls? I'm just curious because low frequencies are almost omnidirectional (not sure if it's the correct term) right?

this room could quite possibly be the worst room ever, im not sure

but as far as i can tell it feels pretty ok...

im comparing it to a room that is 8 feet deep and 28 feet wide, with the mixing position being situationed at the far left end of the wide, facing the deep.

so to your right is about 20 feet of emptiness, to your left about 4 feet to the wall, and 3 feet in front of you 5 feet behind you

it was a really horrible room.

the room im in now is shown in pictures previously in this post, which is a shitty garage converted to a part of the house, with wood panel walls.

as far as i can tell, i feel pretty comfortable hearing wise in the listening spot.

i hope im not sitting in a null or something...

more information about my new mix spot:

speakers are 45 inches apart, and my listening position is 45 inches back from each speaker, angled directly to my ears

my sitting height is tweeters at ear level.

speakers are sitting on mopads.

my console desk is 32 inches from the front wall, and ~20 inches from each wall left and right.

rear wall is quite a ways back (10 - 12 feet?)

ceiling is standard cieling height (it seems)

I guess you could loop some part of a song and listen to how it sounds in different areas of the room. In my case the areas with the most and the least low end are one step apart. I hope my listening position is better, since I hace a "cloud" above as well as panels behind the monitors (the speakers and the PC monitor) and on both sides.

my sitting height is tweeters at ear level.
I think ideally your ears should be between the tweeter and the woofer.

I guess you could loop some part of a song and listen to how it sounds in different areas of the room. In my case the areas with the most and the least low end are one step apart. I hope my listening position is better, since I hace a "cloud" above as well as panels behind the monitors (the speakers and the PC monitor) and on both sides.

I think ideally your ears should be between the tweeter and the woofer.

the manual for the adam a7's said ears at tweeter height