My Argosy Arrived

As I said...I ask clients before even going near the weed box.

~006

If I were a client I would feel quite uncomfortable making such an imposition on the engineer. Because as far as I see it, I'd be a guest at the studio and for the engineer to ask me 'do you mind if I smoke?' would mean incredibly bad inter-personal vibes if I said 'no, I'd prefer if you don't'. You don't want working relationships to start off on a bad note, so you basically just go with the flow.

I've heard of quite a few facilities around here using weed to pacify and make clients more agreeable. Somehow money seems to disappear quicker when weed is involved, which can be a great thing for the studio operator. So when you say your place is a weed free-for-all, that's the only image that comes to mind, for better or worse.

I just find the whole thing highly unprofessional. Nothing personal of course, but I value a straight work ethic. Pets, family members, spouses, girlfriends, drugs etc. are not welcome.

Hopefully you're joking. How do you figure that?

Weed produces more "resin" than cigarettes do. Didn't you pay attention in school when they taught that weed smoke has 20X as much tar in one joint than one cigarette?

Smoke is smoke. Smoke is bad for gear. Doesn't matter if it's a cigarette, weed or a bon-fire.

Shit, my computer screen probably just got a 1/1000th of an inch of weed resin during this post alone. :Smokin:

there's more resin and such that goes into your lungs, because joints are un-filtered...but marijuana smoke has much less ash, and isn't near as thick/heavy as cigarette smoke

not to mention that nobody sits and smokes 40 joints a day, which is what's in 2 packs of cigs

If I were a client I would feel quite uncomfortable making such an imposition on the engineer. Because as far as I see it, I'd be a guest at the studio and for the engineer to ask me 'do you mind if I smoke?' would mean incredibly bad inter-personal vibes if I said 'no, I'd prefer if you don't'. You don't want working relationships to start off on a bad note, so you basically just go with the flow.

+1, unless the client is a smoker as well (they usually are). I wouldn't want the guy recording my music to be smoking weed while recording me (not that pot smokers are non-functioning). Some people might be ok with it.

It really irritates me when bands are high or drunk coming into a session. It's like they aren't taking it seriously. I don't care if they get fucked up on their own time, but i'd prefer them to be sober when we're working.

there's more resin and such that goes into your lungs, because joints are un-filtered...but marijuana smoke has much less ash, and isn't near as thick/heavy as cigarette smoke

not to mention that nobody sits and smokes 40 joints a day, which is what's in 2 packs of cigs

the least you could do is bong rips. :saint:

+1, unless the client is a smoker as well (they usually are). I wouldn't want the guy recording my music to be smoking weed while recording me (not that pot smokers are non-functioning). Some people might be ok with it.

It really irritates me when bands are high or drunk coming into a session. It's like they aren't taking it seriously. I don't care if they get fucked up on their own time, but i'd prefer them to be sober when we're working.

my personal approach is that i leave the shit alone during a session unless the client offers it up to me. i can work as well stoned as i can sober, so if they don't mind me being jilted, neither do i...

i smoke quite a bit ciggarette wise, but in the U.K its Illegal to smoke inside our place of work.

That being said i dont like doing it anyway, id smoke far too many ciggarettes,
That and the odd rollie is the only sort of break i get when working.

Not a fan of smoking weed and working, depends; if its solid its more managable, but if its chronic i wont get anything done, so i just leave it alone unless i'm only waiting for cds to burn off, but on the whole i just dont bother.

Save it for the weekend/ evenings if at all

I'm not sure I get that (meaning I think I'm misunderstanding what you are saying)...I don't view a client as a "guest" I guess (meaning they are under my roof and rules as to what I want to do)...If someone is paying me for a service, I'd prefer to provide the best environment to suit the clients needs/desires - after all they are paying ME for that service, as long as its legal, which pot isn't. Alcohol is a different beast because it's techinally legal, but can lead to far greater problem than weed does (IME, hehe).

On the other hand, I specifically tell a band how I prefer to work (sober musicians, clean environment, etc.).

I think the professional courtesy should go both ways.

I've heard of quite a few facilities around here using weed to pacify and make clients more agreeable. Somehow money seems to disappear quicker when weed is involved, which can be a great thing for the studio operator. So when you say your place is a weed free-for-all, that's the only image that comes to mind, for better or worse.

I just find the whole thing highly unprofessional. Nothing personal of course, but I value a straight work ethic. Pets, family members, spouses, girlfriends, drugs etc. are not welcome.

Well...believe me I let them know it's honestly not a big deal if they don't want me to smoke. Nothing changes if they say they don't want me to. And until you've been here you have no idea how I approach it. That's just how you feel about it. So far I haven't had a single client have a problem telling me no or yes, and haven't had a single client have a problem with the idea that the engineer is high and working on their stuff.

Basically, so far there hasn't been a problem and I don't intend to change anything until there is one. You do it how you want, I'll do it how I want :)

~006

02.01.09.celeb.mphelps_w_546_h_746.jpg

IF IT'S GOOD ENOUGH FOR 8 GOLD MEDALS IT'S GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME.

Well...believe me I let them know it's honestly not a big deal if they don't want me to smoke. Nothing changes if they say they don't want me to. And until you've been here you have no idea how I approach it. That's just how you feel about it. So far I haven't had a single client have a problem telling me no or yes, and haven't had a single client have a problem with the idea that the engineer is high and working on their stuff.

Basically, so far there hasn't been a problem and I don't intend to change anything until there is one. You do it how you want, I'll do it how I want :)

~006
okie dokie smokey dopey :Smokin:

btw for anyone wondering about the adam a7's, they only have low end in the sweet spot, and they're DEFINATELY near fields in every sense of the word. you gotta be at the listening position to hear the mix correctly. as soon as you're out of the spot, the low end dissapears.

the speakers aren't especially fatiguing from what i can tell.

im used to behringer truths which might be crap in most books (and i'll admit they pretty much are), but those suckers are LOUD, and i'll probably buy a pair of mackies (that they were modeled after) to make up for the quietness of the adam a7's for A/B comparison

As far as the A7s go, I've A/Bed them thoroughly against other monitors. Bigger ADAMs, Dynaudios, Yamahas etc. I found them rather hyped sounding. There is a huge hole in the mids and I could hear so much more detail with HS80ms and BM6as. I realized then that Adam speakers are not for me at all. My current speakers are hyped as shit and I'm looking to get away from that. It's good for vibe, but bad for mixing midrange with detail in mind.

I thought the Truths were modeled after the Genelec 10 series (at least the looks and the model number system definitely are!)