My Doom Song, comments appreciated

i lost my interest in this kind of doom some time ago, so i'd just speak of the mix - the lead guitar is a bit louder than the riff, so i'd put the lead guitar a couple of decibels down

do you know any drummer? someone who could help you with the programming and put some toms on the drum tracks, the drums wouldn't sound stale that way imo

other than that it sounded cool

The name first reminded me of A Dream of Poe. I laughed. Anyway, this is pretty cool, but there seems to be a lack of power behind the guitars. Probably a result of the guitar sound you have. I'd reccommend a little tweaking just to give it that extra punch. And as the above said, the drums could be a little more interesting.

Some of the best doom I have heard* has 3 freaking guitarists, and I've experimented with multiple layers to add heavy epicness to a song. Makes it sound so much cooler. The result of my experimentation is here: - and that was using a shitty squier. Hope this helps.

happy 666 posts to me. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I now agree that the lead guitar is quite too loud and I agree about the lack of power, I think some of that is due to the stale drumming. I'm also using a br-600 boss recorder which might not be the best for recording doom metal, that song, Gumtree, is pretty awesome, I enjoyed the layers - are you using a track recorder and drum machine?

With that song of mine I used cubase and just recorded line in from my gt-10. I had a good patch to start with which helped. I think I had sometling like 4 guitar layers (3 rhythm panned to either side and center and 1 lead in center, 2 leads at the start). The drums were programmed, and I can't remember if I used drumkit from hell or not. Sounds to me like the cymbals are general midi and everything else if DKFH. I started off with a pretty good custom patch and added some EQs and yeah. Mind you, I did this last year so details could be wrong.

With multiple guitars, I've noticed bands who do their own mixing usually have everythig in center, which can often sound shit. If you have 2 guitars playing side by side then pan one left and one right, it can sound a hell of a lot better. It's all a matter of experimenting until it blows your mind. :)