My Dying Bride

Adam90125

Feb 15, 2003
England
Visit site
Okidokey. Here is the situation:
I bought Like Gods of the Sun and it was crap. I then read somewhere that it wasn't very good by MDB standards. Bought The Dreadful Hours. It fucking owned me. Intrigued, I bought The light at the end of the world. I think it needs to grow on me...

Please end my plight destined to failure by recomending the chouce cuts of MDB! It would be greatly appreciated:worship:

Before I answer this, let me begin by stating that I love almost all genres of music. My favorites range from Simom and Garfunkel, to Depeche Mode, to Sting, to Motley Crue, to Maiden, Sabbath, Priest, Dio & Pearl Jam and Emperor.

But make no mistake about this: MDB's "Turn Loose the Swans" is the single most emotional album ever released. By any artist....in any genre.
It's a slice of god, for sure.

In fact, I treat it as if it were the Holy Grail. It is the perfect albums. Nothing that the Beatles, Maiden, Opeth, etc., have ever done can come close to this record.

The songs "The Snow In My Hand", "Black God" and "The Crown Of Sympathy" will leave you emotionally spent & exhausted. It's fucking epic, godly.....doom. But it's MORE than just 'doom'. It's humanity in a song!

GET THIS RECORD!

Than, when you're done, rush out and pick up "The Angel and the Dark River" which is right behind it!

Turn Loose The Swans

When I was properly into this band a while ago, I liked "The Dreadful Hours" the most, hated "Like Gods of the Sun" and found "The Light..." ok but boring, 'til it grew on me a bit. So if that's anything to go by, you're going to have awesome taste in a couple of years. ;)

These days I think their early stuff is alright and the rest is whiny and shitty. Check out Skepticism's "Stormcrowfleet", seriously.

I never thought Turn Loose the Swans was so great. I much prefer TDH and Songs of Darkness.... Even 34.788% Complete has some very good qualities. If what you like about TDH is songs like My Hope the Destroyer, and A Cruel Taste of Winter, then go with Songs of Darkness, Words of Light.

Just get Trinity and Turn Loose the Swans, then you'll have everything they've done that's brilliant. They have some other really solid tracks as well, but they're quite scattered among the releases.

In my opinion, everything they've released has been worth owning. As others have stated, some albums are more 'essential' than others.

"The Light" contains some great songs, but also some bore-fests.
"Dreadful Hours" also contains a few GREAT tracks, but then a few that are totally redundant and reak of a "been there, done that" feeling.
The band stopped progessing with these two albums, but the music is good nonetheless.

Their latest, "Songs of Darkness..." is their best album since the mid 90s. AWESOME record.

IIIIIT'S SAAAAD THAAAAT...IN OUUUUUR BLIIIINDnessssss...WE GATHER THORNS...FOR FLOWERRRRS...

That's one of the best and saddest lines I've heard in a while, and it's sung wonderfully.

If you like this band, make you you do YOURSELF a favor and check out Visceral Evisceration. Old-school doom/melodic death with lyrics about gore. Epic as hell, brutal, and catchy all in one. DOOM.

The Angel And The Dark River. Thats so amazingly sad album. It has AWESOME violin parts. Get it right now, i dont care if you buy it or leech it, just get it.
If you want me to recommend a song to download, then try Black Voyage and From Darkest Skies. Two Winters Only would be a good one too, though it has a lot of non-metal in it.

I havent heard their other albums so I can only recommend Songs of Darkness, Words of Light... loved it especially the first song : The Wreckage of My Flesh ... but after seeing this thread I will look up the other recommendations as well...

I think you have to listen to every album they made, its obvius that the taste in music is different from man to man. I love Like gods of the son and i hate As the flowers Withers.