my first real attempt at micing drums/guitar cabs! (work in progress)

s34nsm411

May 3, 2004
dfhs/impulses can suck a nut for this one! used 12 mics on drums, not sure what kind of kit the guy had. beta 52 on basscab, 57 on an orange 4x12. guitar heads used are a rectifier and krank revolution.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=720702
"the structured"

any suggestions? listening again guitars seem like they need an eq cut somewhere, mix might be too bassy overall and i might have limited it too much

on a side note, did soundclick make their mp3s lower quality or something? is there any other service like it that lets you use 192kbps streams or better?

tried backing the limiter and compressor on the 2buss down a little bit, compensated with sonnox inflator though... might have made things worse

i just uploaded the whole damn song also

Haha, yes quite Papa Roach... i like it though, nice job!
Since this was your first attempt micing everything up and doing it all live, how did it go?

I think you did a good job on this, too.

There are parts where the double bass is causing that over-compression sound - but I have no room to talk, as my mixes lick squirrel balls.

I think you did a good job, though.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Sounds awesome :headbang:

Still a bit squashed but not very much.
What were the drum mics and room?

Sounds awesome :headbang:

Still a bit squashed but not very much.
What were the drum mics and room?

overheads sm81s, snare two 57s, floortom md421, racktom audix d2, kick beta52, room mics 2 rode ntks, ride was some random LDC, hihat was a rode nt5

it was recorded in a warehouse

10x :)

How much processing did you have to apply to the kick and how much of the room mics did you end up using?

God thats fuckin sweeet!! :worship:

The lead guitars what exactly is the chain? Also what post processing on the guitars once you have them in the box? You should do a recording/mixing tutorial cause ur stuff is freakn radio!!

I dont think u should touch anything. The vox is a little bit hard to understand not as clear (lil muddy) as it could be...maybe if u could clean it up a lil but anyways sweeeeet mix!!

God thats fuckin sweeet!! :worship:

The lead guitars what exactly is the chain? Also what post processing on the guitars once you have them in the box? You should do a recording/mixing tutorial cause ur stuff is freakn radio!!

I dont think u should touch anything. The vox is a little bit hard to understand not as clear (lil muddy) as it could be...maybe if u could clean it up a lil but anyways sweeeeet mix!!

on the leads theres some compression and lots of eq (i know thats a generic answer haha but thats all i have on them)

the rhythm guitars are two pairs, one L/R pair of a mesa and one L/R of a krank. they each go to their own group channel in cubase where they get eqed to taste, then they both go to a guitar bus with like 2db of compression and more eq

i equed the vox a little now, listen again! :)

PM sent. Those drums sound awesome!

no pm here, sure you sent it to the right person?

also, i added strings to the chorus but cant decide if its cool or not. anyone care to chime in?