My Haul

phlogiston

Bejabbers!
Apr 13, 2001
Melbourne
Visit site
It seems that everyone else gets to have hauls, and this week I have bought more than one album, so I'm gonna start my own haul thread.

This week I have bought:

Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine - Biomech. Devin is different than I thought he was. I though he was like really really thrashy and deathy and 'orrible. He's not. Devin Townsend rocks.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Nocturama. Not as good as The Boatman's Call and No More Shall We Part. But still bloody good.

That's it. Two constitutes a haul for me.

I had a wee haul on Tuesday, DVD-wise:

Reservoir Dogs
About A Boy

I haven't bought a CD in almost a month. Or maybe it's only been two weeks, I can't really remember.

I had a haul too :)

Quiet Riot - Metal Health (1983): $2 on vinyl :) Can't go wrong really hehe. I think it's a tad overrated and their "Condition Critical" album is better, but this does have the song "Metal Health" which is one of the best anthems EVER! I give it 3/5.

Robert Fleischman - World In Your Eyes (2002): Ex-Journey and Vinnie Vincent Invasion singer's solo album. It's melodic rock/AOR. First half rules... great melodic rock almost touching a light sounding hard rock. Some nice rockers and excellent ballads/love songs! The 2nd half though is pretty boring, bland AOR with a modern rock touch and too many acoustic guitars, but the last song "Walking On Fire" is a fun little groovy hard rocker :) One of the downfalls of the album, ironically, is Robert's voice which is the reason I bought the album! It kinda sucks now... but I ended up with a CD half full of really cool songs anyway. Plus the dudes who play guitar on it are real pros, great stuff. I give the first half 4/5 and the 2nd half about a 2/5 (only coz of the last song), so all up... a nice even 3/5.

Talon - Talon (2002): This could be the best album of last year! Melodic hard rock that is a mix of Winger, Dokken, '80s Scorpions, classic Bon Jovi and the last few Pink Cream 69 albums. Solid hard rock songs with good melodic vocals, EXCELLENT lead guitar work, and reaaaaally huge catchy arena choruses. Very very smooth, slick sounding hard rock album and really melodic and catchy! (Could do with a little more edge in the rhythm guitar distortion though) All in all, top notch :) Definitely a 5 star album. Just as solid and catchy as the recent Pink Cream 69 but doesn't quite offer that same "something special" or original that PC69 do.

same with me

pig destroyer - prowler in the yard
lividity - untill the sick remain
cephalic carnage - lucid interval
lockup - hate breeds suffering
birdflesh - night of the ultimate mosh
new srapping young lad

im buying reservoir dogs tomorrow spiff :D

Today I bought:

Tesla - The Great Radio Controversy
Black Sabbath - Cross Purposes
Silverchair - Diorama
Avantasia - whatever the first one is called

The new SYL album is awesome !!! I am a huge Devin fan but for some reason I thought it would suck.

He has a new solo cd out in about 2 weeks which is mean't to be alot like Ocean Machine which is my favourite solo cd of his :)

nothing beats city for me still
new syl is sick but just dont beat the intensity and thye originality of city, and just when it was released it was so out there and new for its time

I love city but I can see how people think it is over rated ... it took me almost a year too get right into it and it is the sort of album that you don't play every day. ]
You can feel the agression in the new SYL album but it doesn't have the hate and anger that made city such a different and emotional album.

City is too unfocused for my tastes, I like a few of the songs, but the new SYL is a more straight up kick ass metal album :headbang:

i think thats whats lacking from the new syl tho
the intensity
city had an atomsphere that i have never heard in an album before. musically is was a a chaotic skitzophrenic ride, and vocally is was full of heart and emotion, but then again they were never going to be able to do it again, as city was a reflection of devin's mental state and opinions on society at the time. The new strapping is cool, but i feel it lacks the craziness and intensity which really made strapping..strapping.

Spiff, Cross Purposes is marvellous :headbang:

Did you get the bonus track "What's The Use"? If not, I'd be glad to upload it somewhere for you.

I haven't bought a CD in ages either, though I've got plenty of stuff in mind (including Pyromania and the new Donnas album).

W