My hope for Dragonlord

Bulletride

New Metal Member
Jul 14, 2003
It's not that Dragonlord is bad.... If it wasn't Peterson and the guys from Testament, I'd be all for them. But I think Dragonlord needs to die out, and Peterson, Smyth, and DiGorgio need to concentrate on Testament. Testament is putting out the best music of anybody in the last ten years. The Gathering is in my opinion, the best album ever created. I might understand if Chuck was still sick, but since he's recovered now, they need to stop messing around with this side project and get back to the good stuff.

I'm sure some of you will jump down my throat for this, but really, some of you have got to agree with me. Testament's the best band out now, and Dragonlord is above average at best.

I think you're entitled to your opinion, but no matter what you think , Dragonlord will continue putting out great music that all of us here on the DRAGONLORD board like. So I guess that's just too bad :)

Nogie said:
How does Dragonlord disturbs Eric's and Steve's (Smyth. DiGiorgio is not playing with DL anymore...) work with Testament?

Personally I don't see how DL can disturb Testament.. Especially when some of them have had side projects already and still have them and it's still doesn't bother them...

I dunno, twisted logic you've got there... Why you think that is beyond me...

It takes time away from Testament. How do you not see that? I think we'd already have a new Testament CD out if it wasn't for Dragonlord. Chuck's been healthy for a while now.

You don't see that if someone's got sideprojects, it adds times between albums and tours for their other bands? When Pantera was still together, it took them ages to get into the studio once Phil started working with DOWN and Superjoint Ritual. The same is true if the biggest writing influence on Testament, Eric Peterson, is using his time and creativity for another band. As for those who don't write for Testament, just play, it's just a matter of them getting into the studio to lay down tracks.

hiddenlegions said:
I think you're entitled to your opinion, but no matter what you think , Dragonlord will continue putting out great music that all of us here on the DRAGONLORD board like. So I guess that's just too bad :)

Yeah, it was just my opinion, and I guess it is "just too bad," but don't get your panties in a bundle here. I'm not saying Dragonlord is bad, I just think they should be second to Testament on the priority list. I know you're over on the Testament forum all the time, and shit, you got their logo as your avator. Don't tell me you don't want more Testament records and tours. And I don't think you can deny that Dragonlord cuts into the time of Peterson and some other members.

Bulletride said:
Yeah, it was just my opinion, and I guess it is "just too bad," but don't get your panties in a bundle here. I'm not saying Dragonlord is bad, I just think they should be second to Testament on the priority list. I know you're over on the Testament forum all the time, and shit, you got their logo as your avator. Don't tell me you don't want more Testament records and tours. And I don't think you can deny that Dragonlord cuts into the time of Peterson and some other members.
Good observation , I am on the Testament forum and I have their logo as my avatar. I know you did some detective work on that one. :tickled: Of course I want more Testament , I just happen to realize that as a musician, you want some variety. Eric just happens to be an incredibly versatile player and likes both Thrash and Black/Death metal and can pull it off great doing both. I also have a great deal of patience, you might want to be a little more patient, sounds more like your thong is up your crack. I'm sure the next Testament and Dragonlord record will be worth the wait. :D

As long as Eric can focus on both band without neglecting testament, I'm with him all the way. It appears to me, that it was his dream to play in a BM (or whatever) band and his potential had to develop in this direction.

Personally, I think TESTAMENT ist the best thing that's happened to metal music ever. A brilliant band releasing perfect records. Dragonlord is very good and I love their music (the only black metal oriented band that I tolerate and one of the best bands to emerge in the last few years), but testament is, was and prolly will be number 1 for me.

Eric is so creative that he can divide what he writes between the two bands. The only problem here, IMO, is the time. In the past Testament had been releasing an album each year, later (due to label and line up changes among others) they slowed down (but the material was as good, if not better than in the past). Now that Chuck's been healthy for quite a while now, some might worry about the release date that has been postponed so many times (there were plans to release it in 2002 and now it will hopefully come out next Spring). Chuck said after Demonic that it's time for them to start releasing the albums yearly, unfortunately we all know what happened. So maybe now, ater getting their shit back together, they'll be striking again (hopefully more frquently). Some may think they've gotten lazy or less productive (creative) with the years or that Eric's focused on DL too much. I'm not one of them. Hey, Eric can write testament in the morning and Dl at night- he's so talented that he'd handle that easily. I hope they just needed some time to beat all the problems and get back on track (and want to make the come-back record something unbelivebly great to please the fansand amaze the world) and that Eric can handle the writing duties in both bands. The thing I'm worried about is Eric's answer to an interviewers question "what's yer fav band?"... we all know that answer, don't we?

But Eric will always be testament, it's he's life, he's baby, sth that he devoted his life and talent to- he will always be concentrated on it, on Thrash Metal

That being said,if anyone asked me whether I'd prefer to see a new testa record every year or a new testa + new DL every 2 or 3 years- I'd choose the first option with no hesitation..and that comes from a dragonlord fan

High Priest, I agree with you completely. Only thing, is I see it as a little more difficult to deal with two bands. I think it's undeniable that DL cuts into Testament's time. As to how much, I think more, you probably think less. I'd love to see a Testament album every year or two, but I think that's not going to happen, especially if DL gets more and more attention.

I might have missed something. Did Peterson say that his favorite band was Dragonlord? God I hope not!

i really wish eric would respond to this!

like HL said, you are entitled to your opinion - you obviously prefer TESTAMENT (which is great), but i don't think you should count on DRAGONLORD ever going away... that is up to eric and no one else.

ms. anthrope said:
i really wish eric would respond to this!

like HL said, you are entitled to your opinion - you obviously prefer TESTAMENT (which is great), but i don't think you should count on DRAGONLORD ever going away... that is up to eric and no one else.

I don't count on them ever going away. That's why the thread is entitled "My hope...." I don't really want them to go away, just take a back seat to Testament, which I don't think is happening.

By the way, does Eric post on here? If he does, it'd be great to get his take on this. I'd love to know where his priorities stand assuming Chuck is healthy.

You have to remember Testament has done a ton of touring since Chuck got better, i think they are all just enjoying that part of being in a band again, Dragonlord has nothing to do with Testament taking so long between albums.

Bulletride said:
High Priest, I agree with you completely. Only thing, is I see it as a little more difficult to deal with two bands. I think it's undeniable that DL cuts into Testament's time. As to how much, I think more, you probably think less. I'd love to see a Testament album every year or two, but I think that's not going to happen, especially if DL gets more and more attention.

I might have missed something. Did Peterson say that his favorite band was Dragonlord? God I hope not!
Well, here's how I see it. Having his black metal project had been Eric's dream and now that he's fulfilled it, he must be happy and happy Eric is making good music (also testament music) :) However, to quote the man "You can't be too happy, cos that's when you're writing bad music". So I'm a little bit confused :)
Seriousely, I believe that Eric wouldn't have decided to do a side project if he had known that it would cut into Testament's time (in a significant part, that is). I recall reading an interview where he said that there's plenty of time in between writing for testament. He has been a part of Testament's Legacy for 20 years, gained fame, following, respect and has done so much for the whole genre- that's something you don't just put on a shelf. You don't go "Ok, that's the past, just 20 years, the music of my youth, now I'm gonna do that". He's not Alex Skolnick...just kidding
I agree with you and I was also worried when I heard about DL. In fact, I still am. However, I cofide in the man that has been delivering the best music I've ever heard and that has never ever dissappointed me. On the contrary, he would surprise and astonish me (in a positive way) so many times. After all, he's a musician, he loves and lives it (and he does it for a living)- there's pretty much time for writing in a musician's life, I imagine. He'll just be getting less sleep at nights and will surely handle everything :). And, as for touring, DL doesn't really tour that much and, as it was said, after Chuck's gotten healthy they've done pretty much shows with testament, so I'm not worried.
I know that sounds very optimistic, but how can you not be an optimist when
you listen to such good music :). Besides, DL and Testament are one family.
I honestly think there's no neccessity to bother E and demand him to come here and make statements (I think he's pretty tired of questions about dividing his time between both groups).
I'm still a little bit worried, but also full of hope. A really strange feeling, indeed

to all those that say dragonlord time is taking away testament time,

Its been over 2 years since their only cd came out and since then they havent done any big tours, just a bunch of local shows ,Milwauke fest and wacken.Ive kept close eye on this web site since it was created and i cant say dragon lord is the most active band.This site gets updated almost as much as the testament site.I can understand all those that are eager for a new testament record, but dont blame the delay on dragon lord, cause its almost like theres something hindering dragonlord from doing anything as well. And by the way i know eric has said Testament is always 1st priority