-Yes-Relayer
-Yes-Going For The One
-Jeff Beck-Blow By Blow
-Jeff Beck-Truth
-Jeff Beck-Wired
-Beck, Bogart and Appice-s/t
-The Beatles-Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
-Captain Beyond-s/t

Yes, a fine classic rock vinyl haul! Thank goodness for good friends' Dads who wanna get rid of their records!:D

i just got into collecting vinyls recently... i'm only at 12 so far, with my latest being Opeth's Still Life...

I don't know too much about vinyl, but is there a tendency for a song to skip a beat? i can't explain it, but when i listen to one of my vinyls, it skips like exactly one beat, it seems, at certain parts... the vinyl is borken up oddly. it looks like there should be a few more tracks on the side when there are only two so i thought maybe the head going over the 'track' caused it...:err:
there aren't any severe scracthes but there is a scuff when you look at the vinyl in a specific light...

so what i'm asking is: how durable are vinyls per se? do finger prints and smudges hinder play easily?

cheers

Well, fingerprints could hurt it after alittle while, as could dust. all that stuff can build up and hurt the play of the record. It's a very good idea to always hold your record along the edges of it, like a CD. Also as soon as you're done, immediately return it to the sleeve.

It also depends on the cartridge and record player you're using. If you're using some cheap crap it can skip. My first record player was one of those in the top of a cheap Schneider stereo. Besides sounding pretty awful it also skipped quite often when I bought brand new records! You have to be sure that you use the recommended needle pressure on your cartridge or else it can skip. I used half of the recommended pressure on my second record player and it often skipped back. On top of that, your records can get thrashed if you don't use the right amount of pressure.
Small scratches can make the record jump. I have a Isaac Hayes record that has a scratch so small that I almost can't see it, but it jumps. This of course also depends on what cartridge you use. When I used an Ortofon nightclub or something (pretty cheap) my "Innervisions" lp by Stevie Wonder didn't jump during the first track, just said "Crzk" every time it went by that big-ass scratch. Now with my EMT needle the song plays for 10 seconds or something and then jumps back!
As Wicked Child said, take care of your records! As it's pure sound all kinds of dirt, wear, trashing and other aspects affect the sound.