My mother emailed Mikael!!!

changso

Neverending dreamer...
Apr 11, 2002
Visit site
Well I use to listen alot of Opeth when I'm at my parents house. My mother complained about Mikael's vocals affirming how disgusting it is. Still she's really into mellow sections. I tried the best I can to explain her that those vocals are awesome, that she'll have to free her negative misconception towards roar vocals and so on but her answer was always the same: How could you possibly like something like that; it reminds me the possesed little girl voice in the movie: "The Exorcist".

Anyway, one day, she decided to email Mikael...I mean the real fucking Mikael.

Here's her message:

"Hello,

I'm very fond of your musical compositions. However, I've hard time dealing with your roar [distorted] vocals. What's the meaning, artistic speaking, of doing such a thing.

Thanks in advance for the answer."

And you know what, MY email was used which is part of MY account here...I was so pissed off :mad: :mad:

:eek: WOAH!!! Are you serious!? I don't know what to say other than, uh...that would just really suck.

I can see why you would be pissed off.

But whatever, my mother reacts the same way when she hears Mikael's growl (or any other growl for that matter), for she gets really freaked out. Though, she absolutely adores the song "Harvest" and asjed, "is this the same singer?" I responded, "it is indeed."

People just dislike the growls somehow....I THINK THEY ENHANCE THE SONG as well as atmosphere.

Heh, I remember your mother's reation to Mikael's vocals... but I never imagined she would end up emailing mr. A ! :D

Heh, I'd like to see Mikael's face when he'll read this :lol:

The growls are use as a medium...In that perspective, it's not different than an instrument. Also, there's a question of contrast with the clean vocals. Anyway, It's like asking, why the electric guitar!

And I'm "mad" about my tarnished privacy...that's all

Originally posted by Morningrise
Why would you be mad? It is a perfectly relevant question! Tell me, what do YOU think growls are for?

Well, to me it is apparent to deliver a more convincing, dark mood/atmosphere....the growls bring chills down my spine because Mikael (especially in "In Mist") seems to reach the right notes with his vocals....without them, something would be missing. I think the clean vocals compliment the growls quite nicely...it's great how they are mixed!

edit: ah, and yes...I agree with ChangSo's above post.

Originally posted by changso
Well I use to listen alot of Opeth when I'm at my parents house. My mother complained about Mikael's vocals affirming how disgusting it is. Still she's really into mellow sections. I tried the best I can to explain her that those vocals are awesome, that she'll have to free her negative misconception towards roar vocals and so on but her answer was always the same: How could you possibly like something like that; it reminds me the possesed little girl voice in the movie: "The Exorcist".

Anyway, one day, she decided to email Mikael...I mean the real fucking Mikael.

Here's her message:

"Hello,

I'm very fond of your musical compositions. However, I've hard time dealing with your roar [distorted] vocals. What's the meaning, artistic speaking, of doing such a thing.

Thanks in advance for the answer."

And you know what, MY email was used which is part of MY account here...I was so pissed off :mad: :mad:

nelson.jpg

My dad always makes fun of the vocals while I'm listening to Opeth and other deathy bands. It's funny :lol:

ya my mom likes the music to she just cant stand the vocals. I had a hard time at first getting used to the vocals, but now its just normal and I like them a lot. I mean growling sometimes is scary which is kind of cool, but most of the time it is just awesome and goes with the heavy riffs. Everytime my friends hear opeth or hear the name opeth they start to growl haha its kind of funny even tho they dont listen to them.

I hope there's some scary sounding stuff on Deliverance. When I got BWP, a couple songs were, with the dissonance and some of the weird stuff they pulled that was new. But I hadn't listened to a whole lot of death metal and otherwise evil music back then, and in the space since I have and it's all kind of like regular music to me now. I hope they go higher enough to do it.

I have to say that both my parents really enjoy the more melodic sounds of Opeth, 'To Bid You Farewell' is one that I played for them first and recently my dad commented on how wonderful 'Harvest' was as well...

But they both dislike the growl -- as does my SO. Which is a pity 'cause I enjoy all of it! Rawr.

However, I am glad to hear that they're putting out a CD that doesn't have any growl on it. That way I can listen to the band and not have to put up with people whinging!

This is so stupid... First off, who cares that your mom sent that email... What do you think, Michael Akerfeldt is crying over that email. Or now he won't be your friend? Dude, get a life... He probably gets 100 emails a day... and I hardly think he gives a shit what that email said... lol... I mean I've been listening to Opeth for a few years now and early on before they were big (before all you teenagers decided to jump on the bandwagon... lol!) Michael would respond to all my emails...
Now I doubt he even reads them... LOL!

Not trying to bust your chops too much... but dude... really I wouldn't lose any sleep over what your mom did... and anyway you just learned 2 valuable lessons...

1.) Don't share your music with your parents... especially your mom? You think Opeth wants to have a bunch of 45-60 year old moms at their concerts? Lol!
2.) Don't ever let your mom use your email... I would change the password or get a new account. I mean some things are private... email is one of them!

Originally posted by Schraiber
My dad always makes fun of the vocals while I'm listening to Opeth and other deathy bands. It's funny :lol:

Same with mine ...

Originially posted by Morningrise Why would you be mad? It is a perfectly relevant question! Tell me, what do YOU think growls are for?

Well, I think that it is one with the music. I cannot imagine a song as intense as "Demon Of The Fall" to have all clean vocals, can you? The same goes for songs like "To Bid You Farewell", br00tal vocals on it would be asinine. It makes perfect sense ...