My New Opeth-Influenced Tune

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
It's a new Opeth track called GHOST OF PERDITION LOLZ Just kidding... It's not a fake peth track, but I probably could have posed it as a peth track since it does have hammond organ, and such.

But anyway, this is a track I have been writing and planning for about a month, and I just finished recording it today. It took 30 minutes to record the bass, a couple days to record the guitars.... I haven't decided on a name because I haven't wrote lyrics yet for the song, and I don't even have a name for my band or a name for the demo, so it's just called "intro" right now.

See if you can pick out my Opeth influences! I was also influenced by video game musicians like Nobuo Uematsu which explains why my black metal sounds so triumphant. I wanted to make progressive black but it sounds more like progressive death I guess. Comments!

I would also appreciate comments on the mixing and mastering of the track, since I spent a couple hours alone trying to get the right sound with it.. I did a lot better than my last tune, but it still doesn't sound right completely. Can someone tell me what I did wrong as far as volumes and stuff?

Click Here To Listen

I am sorry about the low quality, but the song is 9:32 and my ftp has a limit on file sizes of 4.75mb...

I recorded the song using my 1980 LesPaul Custom, and Silvertone bass (which got a strange record so i tried to mix it kinda low)

note: this is an old picture - not current environment, features unused equipment.... blargh.
lespaul.jpg

Eh, the synth instruments aren't supposed to sound real.... that's why they're synth!

As for the progressions.... Well I'd never heard them before, I made sure not to make something that sounded like something that already existed, EXCEPT for the blatant opeth riffs starting at 4:08

Oinkness said:
EXCEPT for the blatant opeth riffs starting at 4:08

If you yourself acknowledge a complete rip-off, that might be a sign that you should stop writing music.

I didn't download the track. I'm sure it sucks. :)

Oinkness said:
Eh, the synth instruments aren't supposed to sound real.... that's why they're synth!

As for the progressions.... Well I'd never heard them before, I made sure not to make something that sounded like something that already existed, EXCEPT for the blatant opeth riffs starting at 4:08

The synth instruments sound cheap though. Anything sounds good with reverb, make use of it. The guitars were much too thin as well, and the tone on that was lacking. I did like some of the ideas though, and with a better arrangement that could have been half decent.

C'mon guys, give 'em a break. This doesn't suck. Some cool parts there, man. Yeah, it's VERY synthy and the sound could use work (if it sounded more like real instruments you'd have something a little sweeter), but not bad, really.

To further with the "Mikael does rip shit off" line, how about the intro to "Master's Apprentices"? Like any mid-tempo Morbid Angel song ever. And to further the whole Camel thing, he even states to the crowd he plays in front of on the DVD that Ending Credits is a blatant Camel rip.

Dude, the part starting at 0:49 (at least my player says its 0:49, but it's been acting weird for a while, so) sounds like Mike Tyson's Punch Out when you win a division and doc is riding his bike and little Mac is running in his pink jumpsuit towards the statue of liberty and they give you the password. I always loved that part in the Punch Out music. Anyway, I like what I'm hearing so far though.

Sorry dude, but no... NO ! Everything sounds horrible. Altough you got some good ideas in there, but you tend to stretch them too far.
And vocals would help alot. And I can hear the Uematsu influence in there very clearly, but where is that Opeth influence you speak of ?

Why do you have to have it in your own server ?
There are plenty of good sites that can host it for you.
For example:
http://www.dmusic.com/
http://www.soundclick.com/
http://www.acidplanet.com/?T=2151

Well the opeth influence is mostly in the solos, like the first very quiet acoustic solo and the finishing solo (where there is just the lead guitar in the right speaker, and acoustic rhythm in the left speaker)... I didn't even try to learn the guitar until I heard opeth, and they completely changed my outlook on life so-to-speak. That's when I decided to become a musician, so I do think a lot of my stuff is opeth-influenced even if it doesn't sound so much like it.

I have trouble getting guitar sounds, as you can see from my earlier recording.. http://www.cobweb.net/~dstrader/oink/satanic_dirge-buried_by_the_dead(instrumental).mp3
The guitars were actually kinda cool in that recording, but they were mixed too low. My guitars always seem to sound like there is not much treble, but I always have a lot of treble in there so I don't know wtf to do.

About the synths, they were made from a Final Fantasy VII- soundfont I found on the install disc for said game. (PC version) I have some more-realistic sounding samples for choir, organ (B3, etc) and even an orchestra pack, but I liked the vibe I was getting by using the FF7 pack! But now that its been a few days I agree, the sound would be a lot better if I used my better samples..... I'm not so well at writing songs if you haven't noticed already, I sort of make some riffs into one progression, then I add another onto it, etc etc until I have the long song...