My New Opeth-Influenced Tune

Looking for a Job said:
shut it ea. fact is: if he didn't want people ripping on his shit, he shouldn't have put it on a damn forum

Fact is: having an opinion doesnt make you right. everyone needs encouragement dude, if you dont like his music, fine. you dont have to flame him.

writing music is like painting a picture, not everyone appreciates the final product.

and why shouldnt he have put it on a forum? you dont have to click the link you know...

Looking for a Job said:
i didn't say he shouldn't, i don't care at all. if you're going to baby him for taking negative comments on it, then i'd guess you wouldn't want him to post it in the first place. plus that lame "music is for yourself" comment also seems to suggest posting it on a forum is pointless

Dude writing music is for yourself. Why the f*ck else would you write it, for everyone else??? theres a difference between criticizing people and outright saying there sh*t and should stop. you dont care? i only complimented the guy and told him to keep going, and you started an arguement. :Smug:. theres one in every forum i guess.

ea, i don't think people in this forum know the meaning of tact. either deal with it or don't, but it's not going to change any time soon.

by putting his song up on a public forum oinkness opened up an avenue for people to comment on it. he knows what this forum is like and he had to have some idea of what he was getting into. people here don't sugarcoat stuff. plus criticism is an integral part of improvement. although i agree that simply saying something sucks probably isn't very useful, i'm not sure this forum is the right place to look for rave reviews of mediocre music.

NeverIsForever said:
ea, i don't think people in this forum know the meaning of tact. either deal with it or don't, but it's not going to change any time soon.

by putting his song up on a public forum oinkness opened up an avenue for people to comment on it. he knows what this forum is like and he had to have some idea of what he was getting into. people here don't sugarcoat stuff. plus criticism is an integral part of improvement. although i agree that simply saying something sucks probably isn't very useful, i'm not sure this forum is the right place to look for rave reviews of mediocre music.

You dont understand, i merely told him not to take the criticism to heart and make him stop, yes people will always do that on a public forum :erk: i just wanted to encourage the guy, i wasnt trying to change the forum rules buy saying DONT FLAME. geez.... i didnt start the arguement here...

Hehe, I loved Punch-Out... such a great game. And I love that song also, but I think the parts are completely different.... The punch-out song is a lot cooler, and it's a classic..

I'm working on making some of the parts better and the progressions tie together more smoothly... And I'm also getting better recordings this time.. The thing is, I need to get myself a new guitar and an acoustic. I'm just using the 1980 custom gold-plated les paul because its all I have, and when I record acoustic with it, it has a weird twangy sound.

I knew people here would bust my barrs, but this is my first song I ever wrote, so I didn't really expect people to be liek *omg its as good as still life*... in reality its probably more like "I Hate Hip Hop" by the Almighty. But I hate hip hop can eventually turn into an Orchid, if you know what I mean. It just takes some time, practice, and critisizm I guess.

Hey, atleast I finally learned what the notes on the guitar were prior to recording the song. Atleast I recorded it all in the same key of C. ;) And I finally learned how to record the bass guitar without it sounding bad, so the new recording should actually be pretty nice, and if I find somewhere that will host the 10mb 128kbps - quality mp3, I might give you guys a decent quality version of the song after I'm done re-recording.

@ -Ea- : I appreciate you stickin' up for me dood.
I write the music I like and stuff I would like to listen to, and if other people like it and will listen to it, then that's sweet. I don't want to piss anyone off, but my aunt liked this song better than my cover of "buried by the dead", she said it sounded more 'eerie'... hehe.. ;) I wish I could cover the whole RTC album. :(

Who wants to buy me an expensive studio microphone?

^Expensive? nah, you can get professional grade studio mics for under $100. And I am talking the kind they use for professional recordings, and more than likely the mics they used for BWP, D1, and D2 (or at least equivelant quality)

See the MXP 990/991 or Shure SM57. Both under $100 each at Musicansfriend.com, and both incredible.

prof3pi.jpg

Botfly said:
Haha, that pic owns.

Out of the two mics you mentioned, which would be the better quality mic to purchase? I wouldn't mind paying a little more for the more superior microphone.

The MXP 990/991 comes with two mics, one especially designed for vocals (900) and the other for acoustic guitars and drum overheads(991) Comes to like a grand total of $95 for the pair

The Shure m57 is like $70 (check musiciansfriend), supposedly does wonders for both vocals and instruments, but according to some people, it's best used for instruments, especially toms and acoustic instruments. Either way, it'll get the job done.

Botfly said:
The MXP 990/991 comes with two mics, one especially designed for vocals (900) and the other for acoustic guitars and drum overheads(991) Comes to like a grand total of $95 for the pair

The Shure m57 is like $70 (check musiciansfriend), supposedly does wonders for both vocals and instruments, but according to some people, it's best used for instruments, especially toms and acoustic instruments. Either way, it'll get the job done.
In that case, I should probably pick up the MXP 990/991 for recording vocals, and acoustic guitars.... Two heads are better than one, eh? ;)

this is a great thread

song was boring but all you people complaining about the production should go back to your pop produced opeth records because it is really not that bad:)

Botfly said:
^Expensive? nah, you can get professional grade studio mics for under $100. And I am talking the kind they use for professional recordings, and more than likely the mics they used for BWP, D1, and D2 (or at least equivelant quality)

See the MXP 990/991 or Shure SM57. Both under $100 each at Musicansfriend.com, and both incredible.

Umm... no? They might have used sm57's (they are the industry standard for milking an amp) but that post gives off the impression that it's common to see studios using mics under 100 bucks. A good condensor will work wonders, and in the dvd it looked like they were using a nuemann. The best budget condensor I've heard is the studio projects c1, which is comparable to a u87(which costs a good 2200). $200 but it will be worth every penny. Still, I'd think it would be odd to see a vocal mic under 500 bucks in a decent studio, and they usually have a fairly large variety for different applications.