My Opeth design

outerone

Alchemy of the Sorcerer
Feb 9, 2006
San Francisco
Heres a few links to a personal project I worked on for a few months and finally finished. I love Opeth and was really inspired to work on a design project based on their music.

So I decided to design an Opeth "best of"package which would include a double vinyl, double cd (plus dvd), a book and a poster. I began by designing my own interpretation of thier logo.

Here is a link to images of the set:
http://www.theouterone.com/opeth1.jpg

There you can see the the vinyl, book and cd together and the poster. I decided to call the package "Black Rose Immortal" which also in a way I felt related to the "O" I created.

Here is a link to details on the vinyl:
http://www.theouterone.com/opeth2.jpg

The vinyl is a double vinyl which opens up with as a gate fold. Inside the gate fold you can find the track listing and small details about each song.

Here is a link to details about the CD:
http://www.theouterone.com/opeth3.jpg

The CD is a digipack which opens up many times and each time reveals another disc and eventually folds out to a bigger square which can be flipped over to show the "O" on the cover. The CDs and DVD come out from the sides of the pack.

Here is a link to details about the book:
http://www.theouterone.com/opeth4.jpg

The book was very important to me. I was influenced by 1970s book design which I felt was fitting since Opeths music has influences from that time. The design is simple and to the point but the small details reveal a texture that adds depth. The book has lyrics to all the songs featured on the vinyl/CD package. I interpreted the lyrics based on the way they are sung as you guys can probably notice. I felt this part was very important since most of the time lyrics are just layed out in a simple colum, but this way the lyrics become alive and add flow to the design. The images are all taken by me, they were taken in Sweden, Norway and mostly Finland (which is my homeland). The book also features a history section which you can see a sample of on the right side around the middle of the layout (its the one with geometric decorations and a stained look). The book also features a discography section and member bios.

Hope you guys like it. :)

Heres a few links to a personal project I worked on for a few months and finally finished.

Hope you guys like it. :)

Like it? That's really kewl !!! :kickass: I like the way you managed to make it your own style but still connect it to the original artwork, so that it still feels like Opeth.

It's a shame I can't buy that stuff. I'ld be interested in the cd, book, and poster. Maybe you can make a deal with Opeth to be able to sell it? I wouldn't mind the actual cd's to be fake (or to be empty and I burn the songs myself ;) )

That is pretty awesome, although I must say I don't think the design entirely fits Opeth (the fonts, layout, etc. are quite 'modern'). I really dig it nonetheless, and that O is definitely 'Opeth', reminds me a bit of the BWP cover too. Good job man! The poster and cd's are especially awesome.

Freakin' Awesome

Dude, you should really send mike a pm on myspace about this, I think he'd be at least very very impressed, + this artwork would definitely pass as real cd\vinyl artwork.

Try contacting him

That is pretty awesome, although I must say I don't think the design entirely fits Opeth (the fonts, layout, etc. are quite 'modern'). I really dig it nonetheless, and that O is definitely 'Opeth', reminds me a bit of the BWP cover too. Good job man! The poster and cd's are especially awesome.

I thought the same thing actually, about it not fitting Opeth. But like you, I still like it.

THIS is amazing. I'd buy it instantly. It's really modern, that's the only thing that doesn't fit Opeth, but the greatness allows me to forget that. Try convincing Mike ;)

It's really cool. But I can't help noticing my erk face. How did you have the time/money/equipment to do this? These look professionally done. If you really did this by yourself at home you should definitely show them to the band. They are amazing. Bravo!