My review of Virgin Black's new album...

foxdvd

Coolest Opeth Fan
Jul 17, 2001
USA
Before I left the forum, I said I would review Virgin Black’s new cd, after I received it from Lee, so I want to do that. I want to thank Lee for this great album, and all the other recommendations he has pushed me and others to in the past. I honestly feel he has the best taste in music of anyone I have met online (note: that means he seems to like the same bands as me LOL) Anyway, on to the review, and thanks again Lee for the cd!

After finding out I was going to get a copy of this album, I quickly downloaded it off the internet, so I could listen to it before I received the cd. Over the last few weeks, I have had a chance to listen to it multiple times, and my appreciation for this work has only strengthened.

Metal bands for years have sought artistic respect from the general-public. Fans of metal have constantly defended their sound by comparing it to Classical Music. The problem comes when most of the general-public is exposed to the teen-pop lyrics of Papa Roach, or the simple, radio-friendly, music of Linkin Park. People will laugh when you say metal is just like Classical Music, when all they have to compare it to is groups like these.

Underground metal bands, and even a few mainstream acts, have experimented before with a combination of Classical and Metal music. Bands like Therion even attempted to take if further, combining full Opera-like choirs with their music. Hollenthon samples in various pieces of music along with an almost Thrash-like intensity, and succeeds completely in blending these sounds. Still, while a band like Hollenthon remains 70-80 percent metal at its core, Virgin Black attempts to stay mostly Classical in arrangement, presentation, and style.

The CD opens up with a beautiful piece that sets the tone for the rest of the album. Your enjoyment of “Sombre Romantic” will depend greatly on your like of the first track “Opera de romanci.” Rich strings play off each other, climbing in energy, as Rowan London lays over an emotional vocal stream that is truly “Opera” in its form and quality. The lead singer of this band is a true find, able to fall fully into his beautiful singing voice, but able to scream out his heart in the best metal tradition, though for the most part he keeps it traditional. As the album continues, the songs start to increase in heaviness, bringing in typical Metal instruments. While the next two tracks do not seem hardcore, their energy and power, even when using Cellos, keyboards, and a choir, are definitely metal. Underneath the heavy energy of these tracks are strong pounding drums and beautiful guitar work.

Things lead up to track 4, “Of your beauty” the vocal highlight of the album. It is absolutely the most haunting singing, with quality lacking in all forms of music today. By this point in the album, your enjoyment is going to be effected by your own personal love of the classics. How many Classical cds you own, outside Mozart and Beethoven, is going to probably effect how much you love this work.

Track 5 is the first true “Metal” piece on the album, and is quiet shocking when it starts. The vocals turn into a harsh scream, while the guitar and drum work blast you with pure Metal energy. Shortly in, the strong beautiful voice comes back over the heavy grinding, and it works greatly. (I am still not sure if the screams are by Rowan, or one of the other members) The album continues strong with the next song, “Museum Of Iscariot” one of the best written on the album. The lyrics grab your attention, and hold you until the end, telling an emotional story that would fit perfectly on an Opeth album.

The rest of the album continues; ranging from the heavy thumping of “Lamenting kiss” to the soft emotional ending, it does nothing but inspire, chill, and overwhelm. I am not a great musician, but I play enough that when I hear music, I can sort of tell what they are doing, and with enough practice might be able to play it, though admittedly a bit slower. With Virgin Black, I am completely in awe of their skill. It has been a long time since I have listened to any type of music, and be completely humbled in its greatness. If you have any appreciation for Classical music, this is the album to own.

I believe many great Classical musicians would be working in Metal today if they were alive. Virgin Black is all the great artists alive and breathing today. They have released quiet possibly the best album this year, with only Hollenthon as a challenge. If I had to chose right now, I would give the tip to Hollenthon, but that might change by the end of the year. Still, there is no denying they greatness, beauty, and sheer brilliance of this CD. Everyone who loves music, owes it to themselves to pick it up, especially after theendrecords brings it out soon.

Score out of 100

(94)

I think I am going to stay...I have read the forum, and it is back to its old self..which is great...no more 30 threads about hate...

This is the best forum on the net right now, I would be stupid to stay away.

Thanks...I can always use a beer. ;)

As far as I know, theendrecords will have this album, with new artwork, this month. No word on cost, but I would guess 10-12 bucks..

Virgin Black and Hollenthon are indeed excellent artists! Welcome back foxdvd! :D
hmmm...:err: Look out Hoser, "and here comes THE WATER!" :eek:

I've got 'Sombre Romantic' too. I got it sent from Samantha (the guitar player) a couple of months ago and can fully recommend it. It's a pretty weird album, and I have to be in a strange mood to listen to it- but when I am in that mood it's phenomenal.

Wilhelm Klink....How did they handle all the instruments live? Did they have a synthesizer on stage, or a group of musicians? Was there constant instrument changes? I really would love to see them live.

Rowan (the vocalist) handled the orchestration and what have you on his synth. While their recordings are great I must say they sound infinitely better live. You are definitely missing out. Rowan's vocals live are simply amazing.

"The sun receives an empty gaze, it mourns and knows my life is gone. No more to offer, but my flesh to this soil."

Thanks....if they ever come to America, I will be sure to check them out....I hope the album does really well here.