My Studio Build

Joshua Wickman

Yes Sir!
Feb 11, 2009
Michigan
The building is Roughly 2000 sq ft (maybe more just a guess) and was a disaster of a place. The previous owner ran a kitchen and bath place and never cleaned it in 17 years. There was about 2 inches of dust and saw dust on everything and just a huge fucking mess. This was a huge project and I did not have much for a budget, under 1000.00 which does not go very far in a studio build. Thank god i have so many great friends who gave me so much help building walls, running heat, electrical, loaning me a paint sprayer, helping install new ceiling, drywall, and also framing out walls for me. I ended up using a lot of wood from this room I demoed as well as a lot of the electrical wire. This was a huge money saver.

I wish i had pictures of when i first got the place and when it was at it's worst. I started taking pictures a few days into the project and I will keep posting them as I get this finished up.

Sorry the pictures are all on my phone. So they may not be the best quality.

These are mostly just demo pics, Enjoy....

Phone%20%2820%29.jpg

Phone%20%2821%29.jpg

Phone%20%2822%29.jpg

Phone%20%2823%29.jpg

Phone%20%2824%29.jpg

Phone%20%2825%29.jpg

Phone%20%2826%29.jpg

Phone%20%2827%29.jpg

Phone%20%2828%29.jpg

Phone%20%2829%29.jpg

Phone%20%2830%29.jpg

Phone%20%2835%29.jpg

Phone%20%2836%29.jpg

Phone%20%2837%29.jpg

Phone%20%2838%29.jpg

holy shit, thats a biiggg love room (i meant to type live, but this way its also nice;-).
really cool!

Yea the drum room is huge! The ceiling is 11ft but i installed a drop ceiling and took of a foot from that to run my heating pipes and cover that old nasty 1920 tile bullshit that was falling apart. The landlord paid for all the drop ceiling materials and I just installed it. He was pretty cheap and did not want to pay for anything more.

Also its nice the studio is like 30 seconds from my house. I can walk there if i want. :)

^ Hmm if 11ft is that bad, then how about 8-9ft? :(

First reflections aside, aren't you best of investing mainly in corner traps (be it between walls or between floor and wall or ceiling and wall)?

Talking about a a small control room, btw, not this big space.

with 9ft you are in big trouble. I would say 10ft is the minimum for a good sounding control room, but you can also work with less, when you are willing compromise.

The corners are a good starting point, but at best, just a third of the way.

For a llive room (drum recording room), with some live in it, you need high celings to keep first reflections (also diffused reflections) in a good timewindow until reaching the overheads.

cheers
Mika