My Take on the God Question.

Tribal

Jul 29, 2001
Pensacola, FL
Visit site
I was raised Pentacostal through my youth. Yeah, feel sorry for me! I left it and went out to see what else thier was for a few years and studied some different beliefs. After being let down for the most part by modern satanism and New Age(crap), I did something I never done before, read the bible from direct Greek and Hebrew translation without some idiot twisting the words and taking things out of content. The teachings are love and respect based, I still don't see to this day how these idiots start wars and claim to be followers of Christ. Christ was never political! He only went after the ones in the church who was impure and greedy. His teaching was to judge the ones in the church not the world. I do believe in God and respect everybody's beliefs and would never bring another down for not holding my beliefs, because I would be going against the teachings of Christ. I do however go against modern Christianity because of the false teachings and judgemental attitude toward non-Christians. I don't even attend a church because of the way I look. I have found my proof He is a true being but thats a different subject.
Peace and respect to you all and up the flag of METAL!

I agree with what Xtokalon says here, I have absolutely no doubt if I tried to explain my views they would be nowhere near as eliquently expressed ;) Often, when I end up arguing with christians in chat rooms (which happens quite a bit) I tell them to read the translations, and many are not even aware you can get them! Come to mention it over a quarter of the "christians" I chat to have never actually read the bible in full. The modern bible hs been passed on so many times and translated, that a lot of the origonal meaning ins lost, which is what confuses me about people believiung it by word - it's riddled with contradictions.
The thing with many branches of christianity, is they feel they must convert others - by doing so they are automatically assuming their religion is correct and somehow "better" than others. (Similar to Xtokalon's viewpoint but without qoutes to back it up ;) )
But here I have a qoute - "love thy enemies" but shouldn't god set an example? "The LORD is a jealous and avenging God; the LORD takes vengeance and is filled with wrath. The LORD takes vengeance on his foes and maintains his wrath against his enemies." - Nahum 1 (hope I got that qoute right). I fail to believe an error that large could be due solely to translation. Please prove me wrong..

I have read the whole book and have found no contradictions, like i said its how people twist the word around. I live my life like the diciples, and force nothing on anybody. My beliefs are my own and I don't have anything to do with churchs. All my friends are non-X-tian except for 2 people who see modern X-tians as I do. I can see why people hold hatred against christians and I don't blame them at all.
Peace and unity are my goal no matter peoples beliefs, Christian or not we all have to live together and work together.
And I to get into heated debates with Christians all the time, it's something I don't enjoy.

All "belief" is just that, belief and nothing more.

One's opinions are just interpretations of reality, and not reality itself. When we assume our interpretations of reality are perfect reflections of reality (ie. "what I think is true"), we forget our own inherent subjectivity and that our viewpoints/interpretations are inherently clouded by our own bias. This is not something I made up, and it's something I can totally PROVE with real examples.

I'm a little surprised by the number of people who don't realize that Jesus never actually claimed to be divine and who actually think that the political tirade which is christianity could at all be an accurate reflection of reality. It quite literally boggles my mind.

Christianity, like all political religions, is a human crafted tool used to structure societies with law, ethics, punishment, reward, etc. It has some good things about it and some bad things about it, like all of our little human devices. We have every reason to believe it was man made (like the countless other religions/philosophies which came before and after it) and no reason to think it was of divine origin.

We can watch the discovery channel chronicle the (seemingly whacky) beliefs of different cultures/tribes and we (even the most hardcore christians among us) dismiss the idea of worshipping a rock or the sun as little more than a nice bit of mythology that people use to structure their society and give meaning to their lives. Since we can ALL see that, why do we have such a difficult time applying this to our own society/religion? What's the mental block? We are not at all different from them and it's a little presumtuous and short-sighted to think our myths are more "accurate reflections of reality" (ie. "more true") than theirs.

If we were born in a different era/society/culture we would adopt the mythology of that culture and believe it with the same intensity as many believe in christianity. If that were the case, you would then *surely* proclaim that christianity is as misguided as thinking god lives inside a volcanoe on your island and that you must sacrifice one virgin per year to appease it's wrath. Doesn't that sound silly? Yep, about as silly as christianity sounds to them. It's all PERSPECTIVE and nothing more. Reality is entirely subjective, and to not realize this is to be hopelessly bound by your own subjectivity. I wish I could say it in a more simple and straightforward way but I can't, and I wish this very simple concept were more easy to comprehend cuz it really is liberating and life-changing (for the better).

We have no reason to think we are the center of the universe. We have no reason to think we are immortal. We have no reason to think that life is a race of swallowing the illogical to appease selfish desires/fears.

I think it's time we stopped deluding ourselves. It's the 21st century, it's time to give people some credit and treat them like adults instead of attempting to herd them like mindless sheep and scare them with mythical rhetorical blather. I think people deserve to be treated better by their mythology.

Don't worry, when you die all logic/evidence suggests you will end up in the exactly the same place as the zillions of zillions of beings that lived and died before you. It's a beautiful thing really, and a legacy I am humbled to be a part of. Fear is a real downer.

Happiness is not being afriad of anything and knowing that ultimately everything will OK. What more could we want?

Satori