LuminousAether said:
Ok, I'm going to quote Dimmu Borgir now:

The heavenly father is stretching his hand
Pathetically begging for mercy
We spit and piss on his sacred flesh
As we breathe in the breath of the unholy

So...

Basically...

If you think you are a christian, and you listen to that band, you are going to Hell by the tenants of your own faith. It specifically mentions in the Bible, the word of your God, that in all things you must praise god. So, all the music you listen to must praise god, and Dimmu Borgir blasphemes god. You are not a christian, but are instead mislead. I'll see you in Hell.

^ Pure stupidity

Whew, 7 pages of mostly flaming and arguing. I've been in so many Christianity/God/Theology debates on the internet and they never get anywhere, so I will refrain from all of that. My statement (getting back to the subject at hand):

I am a Christian and Opeth is one of my favorite bands. Music is music. It is a tool. Can be used to convey positive messages and moods, or negative ones, or neutral ones. Each individual has to make his/her own decision on what they are comfortable listening to. Just because you don't agree with someone, does not mean you cannot enjoy their art.

Anway, my favorite bands are Tourniquet, Opeth, In Flames, old Metallica, Megadeth, Soilwork, Immortal Souls, Soul Embraced, Extol, etc.

Jesus is God.

I'm a Christian. I've only been here for a few months, and this has come up many times. Just stating that I am one, not trying to debate, because debate over messageboards about this issue, I've found, gets nowhere. AndICried, I think everybody's opinion is valid but that there is only one truth, so not everybody's opinion is right.

Face it God has a great sence of Humor! Why would he create N'sync, India'n caste systems, arguing blind christians, tub-vision neo-athiests and poor quality guitars. You argue over crap! In fifty years we are all dead or dýing! FOCUS!! And yes STRYPER blew the biggest nuts of em all! If there is a God he died in the making of the Universe(hence forth he gave his life for our sins) if not help us all bio-electrical-animals for we are forsaken and doomed with the bliss of everdeath.

Np- I get around -Beach Boys

Interesti said:
This is VERY stupid...

Adam went against God by eating the fruit that God had planted in the garden. Why did God plant the fruit? Why wouldn't God let Adam eat the fucking piece of fruit? God DID create a sinful race by creating something that would go against him.

This is hypothetically speaking, I don't believe in God.

Okay,here goes:

-Man was sinless, but able to sin(Freewill).
-Man sinned, and was not able to not sin
-Jesus died for man's sins
-Man is still a sinner, but can be forgiven.

And on the subject:

To me, metal is a way to relax and let go. I dont care about a band's image and I rarely read the lyrics. And just because I listen to a band that is against Christianity, it doesnt change my views in any way. I listen to metal because I love the music. No other genre offers such a vast selection of talented, creative, and emotional music. I dont care about the metal-head image.No chains, no spikes, no makeup, just average joe t-shirt,shorts, and sneakers, etc. Alot of metalheads care too much about being different from everyone else.

If you dont feel that a Christan should listen to metal, then you are obviously an ignorant tr0o metal elitist who thinks too much about what they represent than whats most important.

*steps off soapbox*

AndICried said:
You're a Christian?

Yes.

Do you not believe then that we are all equal under the eyes of God?

I do. But "we" does not hold true for opinions on every matter. People need to understand some are more educated than others on different subjects.

Don't you think you should try not to hold prejudice against those who you disagree with?

What prejudice? I was merely stating a fact.

Interesti said:
What is so wrong about metal sub-genres, exactly?
This is getting good. Kinda like backtracking! I'm stating that Opeth are my favorite band. I love metal sub genres to death. But if that is all you base musical opinions on then I feel sorry for you. I base my musical opinions across a huge scale. So by me saying Opeth are the greatest and not feeling any doubt is because I have heard my fair share of music. DreamLord said I don't listen to much and he rips on me for responding! Nice comeback chum! I had no idea my opinions mattered to so much! Or that so many have such little to do! See ya on the next!

This is getting good, indeed. Especially because of the fact that I never "ripped" you.

I merely asked for you to "back up" your claims, which you have, so far, failed to do, which I find amusing.

Composition,dynamics, and roots. Opeth just happen to fill something in me that no other band does. They have the 3 things I love about music in their albums. A few other bands have these qualities but not as much as Opeth. Thanks for letting me explain myself. Maybe I didn't do it enough...

Yes, many bands have these qualities, and there are some that do it better than Opeth. I can only hope you discover them in time. Good luck. :)

OrestesMantra said:
To me, metal is a way to relax and let go. I dont care about a band's image and I rarely read the lyrics. And just because I listen to a band that is against Christianity, it doesnt change my views in any way. I listen to metal because I love the music. No other genre offers such a vast selection of talented, creative, and emotional music. I dont care about the metal-head image.No chains, no spikes, no makeup, just average joe t-shirt,shorts, and sneakers, etc. Alot of metalheads care too much about being different from everyone else.

If you dont feel that a Christan should listen to metal, then you are obviously an ignorant tr0o metal elitist who thinks too much about what they represent than whats most important.

I agree with your point.

DreamingofUr said:
I'm stating that Opeth are my favorite band. I love metal sub genres to death. But if that is all you base musical opinions on then I feel sorry for you.

Who said anything about sub-genres in the first instance?

that sentence makes no sense, you love black metal, but dismiss darkthrone as shit? i imagine you think immortal's sons of northern darkness or the latest from dimmu borgir (i forget what it is, it's not important) is black metal. :rolleyes:

Don't be such a stupid ignorant n00b-attempting-to-be-tr00 cunt. Loving a genre of music doesn't require you to enjoy every single bnad of that genre, fucking idiot. And no, I wouldn't regard Immortal or Dimmu Borgir as bm as such, Immortal are a sort of blackened thrash band these days, and Dimmu are a weak kiddie-bm-band IMO. Argh you're such a knob for that comment :(

First off, i am NOT a Christian or part of any deity worshipping religion, but i must say Christians have as much merit as Atheists, although i find both to be very hypocritical...

Hmmm...

I'm a Christian also. I listen to most kinds of metal, but I don't think that means I'm betraying God. When it comes to lyrics I don't agree with, such as Slayer's, I just sort of ignore it and just listen to the awesome music. Besides, music is just music. It doesn't exactly reflect off a person's personality. Just because this guy listens to satanic bands doesn't mean he's a satanist.