My Top 50 of 2011

Albums I would have bought easy if not for the lyrical content this year: Ghost, Hell, Portrait

I actually bought the Ghost CD, mainly due to all the hype it received earlier this year. I just didn't "get it"...so I moved on. Lyrical content use to bother me too, but I just got to the point I didn't take it seriously anymore. Quite frankly, I just don't give a rat's ass what anyone elses opinions are about religion! :) I have my own, so that's good enough for me.

~Brian~

I am shocked. We have 15 albums in common, though my list of 2011 releases just topped 200 entries.

49. Cypher Seer- Origins
47. Unexpect- Fables of a Sleepless Empire
46. While Heaven Wept- Fear of Infinity
45. Eumeria- Rebel Mind
39. Iced Earth- Dystopia
35. Borealis-Fall from Grace
28. Voodoo Circle- Broken Heart Syndrome
20. Hell- Human Remains
19. Lost in Thought- Opus Arise
12. Voyager-The Meaning of I
9. Redemption-This Mortal Coil
6. Leprous- Bilateral
5. Inmoria- A Farewell to Nothing
3. Symphony X-Iconclast
2. Evergrey-Glorious Collision

Oh, and Unexpect is my #1 for 2011 so far. :)

1. Nightwish-Imaginarium

Still need to hear this. I like their last one. Nothing great for me, but good enough.

Based on your links, I will check out the albums listed below. I had heard of Subsignal, Appearance of Nothing, and Sons of Seasons before. I had not heard of the others. Thanks for the list. Great job!

43. Enbound- And She Says Gold
29. Subsignal- Touchstones
24. Appearance of Nothing- All Gods Are Gone
18. Circle of Silence- The Blackened Halo
15. Sons of Seasons- Magnisphyricon

So I have seen numerous replies stating that there folks found a few gems in that list they are going to investigate or pick up. Anyone care to share which "new" ones they enjoyed?

Cypher Seer
Enbound
Joseph Magazine
Toby Hitchcock - I like it better than WET, which disappointed me...
Circle Of Silence

Oh. and if you haven't heard the Gno disc, "Cannibal Tango", you really should check it out :heh:

Holy shit. Powerwolf! I've seen their name on sites like Blabbermouth and never gave them a single shot because I thought the band name is stupid. I still kinda do, but I think that's part of the appeal of the band. And you nailed the "Satanic Sabaton" sound too! Big surprise. I need to get that disc now! "WE DRINK! WE DRINK! WE DRINK YOUR BLOOD!" Fuck yeah you do!

There are a few on the list that I'm like "no shit? I gotta get off my ass and check that out now!" Inmoria, Jolly, Appearance of Nothing.

I have also neglected to purchase the new Dream Theater, while the special edition just sits and waits to be bought at the local music store. Methinks I'll visit that store later today!

Great post.

And I'll also go with J-Dub on Cypher Seer and Joseph Magazine being new. I need to give them a shot as well. Those two are bands I literally have never seen mentioned before. Good shit, man.

Glenn, of the ones on your list, which was the biggest surprise for you this year?

Picked up Enbound and Work of Art.....then realized after that it is the same vocalist going by a different name on each album. Good stuff on both fronts. Thanks for the list!

So I have seen numerous replies stating that there folks found a few gems in that list they are going to investigate or pick up. Anyone care to share which "new" ones they enjoyed?

Inmoria, for starters. I'm a huge Morgana Lefay and Tad Morose fan, so how this band slipped past me is beyond me. But then again, that's one of the reasons I look forward to your annual rankings at year's end. Mob Rules (Radical Peace) was the big find from your list in 2009. Inmoria fills that role for 2011, and there are still about 4-5 more from this year's list that look promising.

Is this the your longest year-end list yet? I don't remember a list of 50 before.

20. Hell- Human Remains: If cheesy as hell (ha!) satanic imagery mixed with geezers rocking out in mascara & Depends aren’t your thing, move along…nothing to see here. If you can get past all that, then you will enjoy the hell (ha again!) out of the old-school NWOBHM style that most new “retro” bands cannot seem to get right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpkuYxyYM2A

I know saying this will cause me to be carried off by stormtroopers, be banned or something stupid like that but serious this album is pretty good but N.W.O.B.H.M it is not. It is so far removed from the sound and feeling that era of bands captured. Hell is certainly not what they were 30 years ago.
As for those bands with a "retro" sound there are many out there that actually have that sound and same energy that those Brits of old had. But Hell seriously...

I know saying this will cause me to be carried off by stormtroopers, be banned or something stupid like that

Banned for disagreeing with my musical opinion? I have banned 3 people (4 if you count Ascension's alias twice) in 10 years and none for musical discussion. Are you sure you are on the right forum? If so, you win the award for most sensitive poster of the day.

Glenn did you check out the new Between the Buried and Me? I think that this is their best one yet, and I know you enjoyed Alaska (to some extent anyhow). I saw a lot of my top 15 in your top 50. That surprised me. I think the only glaring omissions are BTBAM, Hammers of Misfortune, and Arch/Mateos (to which you've already commented).

I know saying this will cause me to be carried off by stormtroopers, be banned or something stupid like that but serious this album is pretty good but N.W.O.B.H.M it is not. It is so far removed from the sound and feeling that era of bands captured. Hell is certainly not what they were 30 years ago.
As for those bands with a "retro" sound there are many out there that actually have that sound and same energy that those Brits of old had. But Hell seriously...

I may drag you out by the ear myself for this one. Hell doesn't sound like Diamond Head or Saxon, but you can definitely hear the NWOBHM roots on this album.

Banned for disagreeing with my musical opinion? I have banned 3 people (4 if you count Ascension's alias twice) in 10 years and none for musical discussion. Are you sure you are on the right forum? If so, you win the award for most sensitive poster of the day.

I'm not suprised by anything that goes on here in this forum.

I may drag you out by the ear myself for this one. Hell doesn't sound like Diamond Head or Saxon, but you can definitely hear the NWOBHM roots on this album.

I guess, but on the same tokken I guess you could say every metal band sounds like Sabbath. And serious even Saxon don't sould like they once did. Not the N.W.O.B.H.M ended in '83 pretty music.
The Hell sounds like just another Sneap project I think. Now and album that captures that NWOBHM sound and feel a "Hell" of a lot better 'Make It Dark'. What did I hear Skull Fist and Cauldron from Canada, Eliminator for the UK, jeez this could go on... But no Hell don't capture it by far.
Hey we can just chalk it up to me disagreeing cause the hipsters like it as with Ghost.:lol: