NAD! Jet City JCA50!

Hmm, this might be interesting....

I have the JCA20h and the JCA100hdm. If I have some spare time, I could do a comparison as well. And I could add boosted tracks with a TS9 or SD-1 as well... or I could make a comparison between SM57/ MD421/ i5 as well... hmm, I don't think I have that much time, but a comparison between the 20 watt and 100 watt should b e no problem... and then I'll reamp a third track as well in 50 watt mode.

Right here we go!

Jet City 50w - With Transformer
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1949675/TEOH JCA50 With Transformer.mp3

Jet City 50w - No Transformer
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1949675/TEOH JCA50 No Transformer.mp3

Jet City 20w - No Transformer
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1949675/TEOH JCA20.mp3

Disclaimer:
  • I just reamped the quad tracked rhythmns for this, the lead is still the same track from the original version at the start of the thread.
  • All guitar tracks were normalised to within 0.1dB of each other to keep the volume between different amp's/mic's consistent.
  • The JCA20 had exactly the same settings as the JCA50, except that the gain was maxed out for the 20.

That last 20 watt clip sounds GREAT, really love the mids on the 20 water, seem a bit more beefy.

That's 6 people bought Jet City's since the start of this thread! Maybe I should be getting commission or something :lol: Looks like Jet City could quickly become the new budget metal amp of choice around here. Ironic as the UK distributor for has pulled them all from the market as they weren't selling well enough!

I prefer the 50w myself, more saturated and a bit more modern sounding. The 20w still sounds great though!

did a few more clips with mine, check it out here:
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/10338147-post15.html

how did you do that single post thing ? :)

EDIT : forget about it, i didn't see the top right "thread" link in the corner ...

they all sound nice, Jet City included, and i expected a bigger difference in character in between those clips

they sound like the same amp but with a different mid sweep setting or something, the engl being the beefiest (my fav here), the marshall a bit more thin and smooth and fizzy and distorted, and the jet city even more

not sure what you did with the blended clips (Amp A left 100 % Amp B left 80 % Amp B right 80% Amp A right 100% ?), but i think i like the marshall+jet city clip the least

Awesome stuff, I bet if the guy you traded it to heard this he'd probably regret doing that.

Is that just the gain from the amp or is that a distortion pedal on the clean channel?

Wow, didn't know that Jet City's had this much gain. I played a Bolt the other day, also had a surprising amount of gain for such an amp. Great sound, glad to hear it.

Just traded my PCL solid state for a JCA20 combo. With fresh tubes!
No idea how they are gonna sound though, anyone any experience with the JJ ECC83S?

Good call with the trade. The JJ's are really great - way better than the stock Chinese preamp tubes.
Did you swap out the power tubes? You should do that too - the stock Sovteks or whatever they ship with are pretty noisy and not very microphonic. I have a matched pair of Groove Tubes (rebranded JJ's) EL-84's and they are much better but can be a little bright. I'm getting a matched pair of vintage Mullards tomorrow - can't wait to try them out, as they are apparently darker but are also much tighter and creamier. Should be a good fit for the somewhat bright JCA20H!

Still waiting for the package, should be here by next week. I'll see if I can get some clips then.
The last time I had JJs (ECC83S) they were a bit too flubby sounding for my taste, but since the amp seems to be more on the bright/tight side it could suit it well.
The power tubes haven't been swapped by the previous owner but I'm looking for a pair of EL-84s atm. I wonder if I could get some more lowend out of the amp with different power tubes or if i should just go and get the depth mod done. I'll probably get some NOS ones from Tube-Town.

That's cool. The JJ's are pretty good - quite gainy actually bujt in a good way. However, they are a little loose sounding as well. I put the Mullard EL-84's in but haven't given them a really good go yet - will report back on that.
I would get the depth mod done if I were you - swapping power tubes will not give you the same effect as the depth mod.