NAD! Jet City JCA50!

will the Jet City be difficult to record with using impulses and a DAW? i don't have access to a decent cab, decent mics and decent (deaf) neighbours.
Listen to my clip quoted at the top of this page, it's recorded direct in the DAW with impulse (Torpedo PI-101).
You'll just need a loadbox to avoid frying the transformer output.

ok, it's here :)

first impression (at medium volumes): cool amp, it's not exactly ripping my head off but cool nevertheless. i've read that a tube change and proper bias setup greatly improves the sound of this amp as the stock tubes are pretty much crap, so i'll definitely give this a shot. will take it to band rehearsal on sunday too, see how it holds up against a full band.
the clean channel isn't all that great, and the low end is kinda flubby without a boost, but that might change with more volume and a 412 cab.

here's a very quick reamp test.
signal chain: lasse/mago DI -> radial X amp -> boss sd1 -> jca 100h -> framus 212cs with v30s -> sm 57 -> rme fireface
one clip with one without the sd1, different settings on both clips to compensate of course.
zero post processing btw, not even hp/lp. this is completely raw.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1296348/Jet City 100H (with Boost).mp3
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1296348/Jet City 100H (no Boost).mp3

edit: btw, the amp is quite dynamic and unforgiving....proper playing technique will be rewarded, but if you suck you'll sound like ass :D especially without a boost

I still really like the RAW sounds people are getting outta the amp.
With or without a boost - there's real character.

further observations:
when A/B'ed with an engl fireball, the latter instantly sounds more "metal". however, the lack of character and the insane compression becomes really apparent. the JCA is infinitely more dynamic, you can go from decapitated to 80s hair metal just by changing the intensity of your playing. consequently, the engl is much easier to play - but also a lot less fun.
a quick reamping test with the engl using the same DIs further shows this. it's a typical modern metal sound, pretty good, but no character.
the JCA definitely has its own thing going on....probably most reminiscent of a 5150 but still way different.

I'm heading to the rehearsal space now to pick up the JVM and valvestate 8100. should be interesting.

btw, anyone has some recommendations for a DI & backing set with quad tracked guitars? i haven't done this for years and i'm absolutely not up to date regarding the common backing tracks floating around here. i guess once you start blending amps in a quad track scenario the real fun will start :)

edit: clippage will follow later today.

If I'm correct, the Narcosynthesis track from Jaymz was quad tracked.

Cool tones btw, I have the JCA100hdm and I really like the open character of the amp. From your reamps, the JCA has the most sparkle. I like all the sounds, even the Marshall 8100, but when I listen to the JCA again, it has a more open sound.

Nice clips Fragle !
I tried quickly with my SD1 the other day and had less luck than you.
I'll try again ;)

I agree that this amp sounds good without a boost, and have a very dynamic and organic character that react very well to your playing. I sold a ENGL Blackmore to buy this one, and for now I don't regret my choice at all.

Thought i would bust in on this topic since it's not too old yet...

Anyone have experience with the JCA22?
There's one here locally, and I've really liked the tones posted from these Jet City amps so far...

I'm interested if it's worth paying a bit more for the other channel or is the JCA20 gonna do just as well clean/od.

I also want to use this thread for a quick question :)

I'm ordering the JCA100H, and need a 4x12 cab. Either I'm getting the Jet City cab or the Harley Benton with Vintage 30's, which costs a little more. How good is the Jet City cab and its "custom Eminence speakers"? Is the HB cab significantly better for this amp?

from what i've gathered the jet city cabs are actually pretty good. i'd steer clear of the HB tbh.

Thought i would bust in on this topic since it's not too old yet...

Anyone have experience with the JCA22?
There's one here locally, and I've really liked the tones posted from these Jet City amps so far...

I'm interested if it's worth paying a bit more for the other channel or is the JCA20 gonna do just as well clean/od.

Sloan. I have the 20H and while it's great, I'd prefer the 22H with the extra channel. Def worth the extra $$'s. I run my Carl Martin Plexitone pedal into the 20H to get more oooomph out of the head but you likely wouldn't need anything more than the TS-9 or equivalent to tighten up the 22H.

I also want to use this thread for a quick question :)

I'm ordering the JCA100H, and need a 4x12 cab. Either I'm getting the Jet City cab or the Harley Benton with Vintage 30's, which costs a little more. How good is the Jet City cab and its "custom Eminence speakers"? Is the HB cab significantly better for this amp?

Einride. The Jet City 4x12 cab sounds very good but I'm not a fan of the Eminence speakers. The cabs are built pretty solid. These are Jet City custom Eminence and while they are OK, they need swapping out immediately IMO. You may do well keeping 2 and dropping 2 V30's in there in an XY pattern though. I only heard the cab with the Eminences. Don't know anything about the HB cabs. You could look for a used Marshall cab too???

from what i've gathered the jet city cabs are actually pretty good. i'd steer clear of the HB tbh.

id go with the hb cab.

Einride. The Jet City 4x12 cab sounds very good but I'm not a fan of the Eminence speakers. The cabs are built pretty solid. These are Jet City custom Eminence and while they are OK, they need swapping out immediately IMO. You may do well keeping 2 and dropping 2 V30's in there in an XY pattern though. I only heard the cab with the Eminences. Don't know anything about the HB cabs. You could look for a used Marshall cab too???

Thanks guys. I ended up getting the JCA cab. To be clear, this is first and foremost for rehearsal and live gigging so even if the Eminence drivers don't record as well as V30's, that is not currently a concern.

I might switch 'em out eventually but right now, I'm pretty excited to see how the matched head + cab combo sounds. :Smokin:

EDIT: ...and the head + cab for 640 euros? Ridiculous!

Thanks guys. I ended up getting the JCA cab. To be clear, this is first and foremost for rehearsal and live gigging so even if the Eminence drivers don't record as well as V30's, that is not currently a concern.

I might switch 'em out eventually but right now, I'm pretty excited to see how the matched head + cab combo sounds. :Smokin:

EDIT: ...and the head + cab for 640 euros? Ridiculous!

Yeah that's a great deal for the head and cab man - let us know how it works out for ya.

You guys wanna hear a comparison between the 50w and 20w heads? Got a couple of hours to kill in the studio today. Or I could do a 57 vs transformerless 57 clip?

You guys wanna hear a comparison between the 50w and 20w heads? Got a couple of hours to kill in the studio today. Or I could do a 57 vs transformerless 57 clip?

Well since I have the 20w head, I'd like to hear the difference between it and the 50w.

Think I might have time to do both actually. Gonna do the 57/transformerless clips first and then throw some tracks through the 20w head aswell. Watch this space.