NAD! Jet City JCA50!

hey guys, my chain was =

gibson SG (really honky and ugly sounding with strings that werent the best, guitar couldnt stay in tune)
no boost
no idea what channel lol
2 sm57's on the orange 2x12, one on the cap, one off axis on the cone

basically, if it were a better guitar (and probably better playing :p) the tone would have been much better. also i probably couldve mic'd better as well...

this amp is twice as good as my clips portray :p

Yeah the bleed thing is only if you try to set it up as classic "clean" and "distortion" ... this was confirmed by Jet City also, so it isn't a bug with a single unit.

does anyone have issues with the fx loop and fx stomp boxes btw?
seems like the fx loop is running at line level and some effects just can't handle that....i've got a boss DD7 that i use for leads and clean sounds, maybe anyone with a 50w/100w JC and a boss delay can check if it works properly? :)

The manual of the JCA100hdm says the FX loop is in line level. Don't know about the other JCA models, but you can download the manual from the Jet City website.

Yeah the bleed thing is only if you try to set it up as classic "clean" and "distortion" ... this was confirmed by Jet City also, so it isn't a bug with a single unit.

which - as you just said - is the classic way of setting up a 2 channel head :D
well, mine should arrive in the next few days, i'll just have to check if the bleed is a problem or not.

....might as well do a proper shootout and put it up against my other amps, marshall jvm, 8100, and engl fireball 100. should be interesting :)

DeclanWhite, thanks for the chain !

Anybody can give me feedback on the clip I posted at the end of page 2 ?
I think I have to tweak it a little more, as it sounds not as smooth as it should.

I wouldn't say it's all that Marshally sounding, 6L6's and based on Soldano design I really feel it's got it's own sound. Not as scooped as a Recto, not as honky as a 6505, and nothing like a Marshall which I find to be a more fuzzy kinda sound. Mind you I've not played a Marshall for a few years now (really gas'ing for a JVM though!)

Thanks dude. Really not helping with GAS though! ;)

This thread really made me gas! I'm probably gonna get the 100H at thomann as soon as I have the money! Not sure if to go for the 100H or the 100HDM as it looks like that thomann hasn't the HDM at the moment. Is the depth mod difficult?

DeclanWhite : great tone !
I'm also intersted in knowing a bit more the chain you used (guitar, boost, amp channel, cab, mic... etc).

Here is a quick try I did with my JCA50H, used in silent recording configuration :
TEST JET CITY 0624 Mix1 MASTER.mp3

The chain was :
Maxon OD808 > JCA50H > 8 Ω output 1 > Tone Hound, to take the load.
______________________ 8 Ω output 2 > U5 Speaker In > Portico 5012 > Fireface400 Line In > DAW

My strings are old as fuck and I'm a sloppy guitar player.

Cab/miking :
Torpedo PI-101 WoS plugin with :
- MesaOS + SM57
- a touch of Diezel Cab + M160, to bring back some meat.

Pic of my claustrophobic setup :

ToneHound.jpg

:D:D:D

holy smokes! how'd you get that monster drum sound and thick bass..! guitars sound great too! really emphasizes the less gain is more thing :cool:

those thomann prices are ridiculous!

i can get the 100w for au$437

whereas in australia they sell for au$1399-1599 on ebay

Apparently a circuit like the Soldano Super Lead Overdrive (SLO), which happens to be a major influence on the 5150. At least that's what I gather when someone says "Soldano" circuit.

That's really interesting.
I heard that modded Marshalls were inspiration for Solando, and if 5150 take inspiration from the SLO.. it's crazy how different they sound!

holy smokes! how'd you get that monster drum sound and thick bass..! guitars sound great too! really emphasizes the less gain is more thing :cool:
Thanks a lot !
Even if I'm not totally satisfied with guitar sound, I hope I'll be able to reach a less digital sounding / abrasive tone with this setup.

For drums, I used :
- SD2 Hit Factory (Lost studios 2 SDX) for shells + an Avatar snare blended under the Hit Factory one
- SD2 Metal Foundry for cymbals

Then I added some samples on kick and snare,
KICK = 40% original + 60% (Slate Kick10 + LSD Rarefaction Kick)
SNARE = 50% original + 50% (Slate Snare + LSD Snare6 + some one shot sample underneath)

Conerning bass, it's midi programmed as it's a quick test, then sent to Signals Audio ZomBass (clean DI program).

Then I used a blend of :
- pure DI track for clean low end
- amp/grit track for some air (TSE BOD + Waves GTR3 + Torpedo PI-101)
- distortion track for presence / more glue with guitars (reamp through TC Vintage Bass Overdrive stompbox + Torpedo PI-101).

i'm very tempted to take a look at the jet city - i wasn't sure if it would be suitable for the sort of sound im after (killswitch/times of grace), and i'm so glad i found someone using it to record a KsE song :)

my other choices were a bugera 6262 (which is based on a 5150 so would probably be the closest match) or an Engl e530 (which is great for portability and home recording - which will be my main use for it). will the Jet City be difficult to record with using impulses and a DAW? i don't have access to a decent cab, decent mics and decent (deaf) neighbours.

what are peoples general opinion on the JCA100h over say a bugera?

just managed to download that clip and it sounds great, very good work fella.