Name your single favourite song by each of these bands:

Erik said:
Bah, I've listened to it enough alright, I probably listened to that one day out and day in back when you were spinning My Arms Your Hearse 4 hrs daily and I STILL find that it's 1) musically inferior and 2) lyrically far superior to The Red in the Sky... And TRITSIO still doesn't have anywhere near poor lyrics so it wins, handz down

You hadn't posted when I said that. ;) Anyway, as a whole The Red in the Sky... is the better of the two, but I prefer the best stuff on With Fear... to virtually all metal.

Sacramentum - Cries From A Restless Soul

I love 1-5, giving them a concentrated listen whilst reading the lyrics still moves me almost to tears every time, despite it probably being my most listened to DM record overall.

I don't hate the second half particularly, I just think it's haphazard and doesn't retain much of the beautiful atmosphere of the first half. The lyrics of "Blood of the Sunsets" are cool, but I'm inclined to lean towards the other two simply 'cause they're put to the music so elegantly.

EDIT: In fact, songs like "Primal Breath" and in particular "The Break of Autumn" have probably my favourite lyrics in metal.

Aeternus - Warrior Of The Crescent Moon
At the Gates - The Red In The Sky Is Ours
Bathory - Equimanthorn
Burzum - Dominus Sathanas (yes, unorthodox choice, but still)
Darkthrone - Ablaze In The Northern Sky OR Beholding The Throne Of Might OR Earth's Last Picture
Immortal - Withstand The Fall Of Time OR A Perfect Vision Of The Rising Northland
Necrophobic - The Ancient's Gate
Nokturnal Mortum - I Feel The Breath Of Ragnarok
Slayer - Chemical Warfare
Summoning - Lugburz

Arghoslent: "Archaic Invincibility"
At the Gates: "Raped By The Light Of Christ"
Bathory: "Woman Of Dark Desires"
Burzum: "Det Som Engang Var"
The Chasm: "In Superior Torment"
Darkthrone: "In The Sign Of The Horns"
Destroyer 666: "Satan's Hammer"
Immortal: "Cursed Realms Of The Winterdemons"
Necrophobic: "Helfire"
Slayer: "Kill Again"
Therion: "Future Consciousness"

Burzum[font=Verdana,geneva,arial] - Rundgang um die transzendentale Säule der Singularität[/font]
Nokturnal Mortum - Kuyaviya / Goat Horns
Therion - Clavicula Nox / Eye of Shiva

WFIKTB as far as I am aware, was written over a number of years? The latter half of the album progresses more towards the SotS sound. I find that slightly annoying, despite the fact that I think SotS is fantastic.

Burzum = the one hit wonder in this thread, heh.

I also agree that Post Mortem - Raining Blood should be considered as one song, but either way, Black Magic slays it :p

Bathory - Sacrifice
Burzum - Det som en gang var
Destroyer 666 - Tyranny of the Inevitable / The eternal glory of war
Immortal - well,lots
Slayer - Aggressive Perfector

Gallantry over Docility said:
I love 1-5, giving them a concentrated listen whilst reading the lyrics still moves me almost to tears every time, despite it probably being my most listened to DM record overall.
...serious?

Well, that's cool. I wish I could enjoy music as much as you do, though it still seems kinda weird that such music can bring someone to tears time after time. And after all, its At the Gates, not Beethoven

kmik said:
Well, that's cool. I wish I could enjoy music as much as you do, though it still seems kinda weird that such music can bring someone to tears time after time. And after all, its At the Gates, not Beethoven

I did say "almost". ;)

Aeternus - When the Crow's Shadow Falls
Arghoslent - Rape Of A Slave
At the Gates - Claws of Laughter Dead
Burzum - Det Som En Gang Var
Darkthrone - Kathaarian Life Code
Nokturnal Mortum - The 13th Asbath Celebration
Slayer - Angel Of Death
Summoning - Dagor Bragollach
Therion - Cults Of The Shadows

I haven't heard the other bands too much...