Nebula

NSGUITAR

Oct 26, 2009
ooooookay.

I feel like a complete dipshit for posting this, since there is an immaculate amount of information on this.

But WHAT is Nebula? haha I talked to Ahjteam a bit about it, and it was sort of helpful, but I've downloaded Nebula 3 free, and just don't get it.

I literally looked at it, played with it.. and said "Fuck, you got me". I can typically figure pluggins out, but this one has me stumped, so any info/tutorials you have for me would be straight!

Thanks.

Dude it is the most confusing plug in ever that's all i know...I went to the website and mind blew up

Dude I know! I'm hoping Ermin will chime in on this thread, because he seems to be quite the advocate.

I don't even know if it's a vst plugin. I've seen people talk about it as a vst, an impulse, and as actual hardware. soo. wtf!

+1 to not knowing what the fuck it is, but being intrigued.

even just seeing people talking about it around here is confusing, nevermind their goofy ass website

Consider it a sampler (like Kontakt), but instead of playing instrument samples, it runs audio hardware samples. I trust you know what an impulse response is and the procedures involved in making one? Nebula samples are created by running a complex signal (generated by NAT) through a piece of gear, then deconvolving the captured impulse response. The signal is dynamic in frequency AND level, so running a signal through the sample will sound much the same as the original hardware, unlike one produced from a static impulse, that employs a sweeping sine wave of a single level.

Nebula is the best thing since sliced bread, and it allows me to use extremely high end gear at a fraction of the cost.

Consider it a sampler (like Kontakt), but instead of playing instrument samples, it runs audio hardware samples. I trust you know what an impulse response is and the procedures involved in making one? Nebula samples are created by running a complex signal (generated by NAT) through a piece of gear, then deconvolving the captured impulse response. The signal is dynamic in frequency AND level, so running a signal through the sample will sound much the same as the original hardware, unlike one produced from a static impulse, that employs a sweeping sine wave of a single level.

Nebula is the best thing since sliced bread, and it allows me to use extremely high end gear at a fraction of the cost.

thanks for the info! I was curious myself!
Will look into buying this very soon!

If you guys are going to buy this hit me up first. I was thinking about selling my Nebula 3 and all my AlexB Libraries i bought.

good info!
just one thing, what's about different settings
of the hardware (eq for example)
did they "sample" every possible setting or how does it work?

cheers
S.

Why Joshua?!?! :O

I know it's not very pratical in a heavy mixing session, but if you just process it offline with what you really want already in your mind it can take anything to another level. Also I find it very handy for mastering (some libraries). I think R2R tape alone is worth having nebula

good info!

cheers
S.

It depends on how the developer sampled. For example, Black Master EQ (API 5500) by AlexB has a gain stepping of 0.5dB, so for example, you want a high shelf at 12khz, the gain you have at hand goes from, 0dB, 0.5dB, 1dB, 1.5dB.
While VMeq for example I think it's a quarter dB, not sure though, can't really remember exactly as I'm not at the studio. So it's not useful for EVERYTHING, but so far, I've always found use for EQs, mainly in mastering, if for example 2.5dB hits the spot, then that's cool, but if you find 2.5dB being too much and 2dB being too little, then you'll have to use something else or use in conjunction, just think a little bit and workaround that stuff.

But yeah, if you go to AlexB, analoginthebox and CDsoundmaster website, they tell which frequencies and steppings for each library has been sampled, what kind of bells, how wide, steep, and/or shelves :)

It's the ugliest plugin I've ever seen and their website doesn't help their product at all.
I'd much rather buy a single plugin that does excellent hardware emulation rather than a whole library of stuff (eg. Slate VCC).
AlexB should licence the tech and release his emulations as seperate plugins, custom GUIs and all.
However, I know I may end up purchasing it someday...if I can stomach Reaper since v2.x, Nebula shouldn't be too hard...

good info!

cheers
S.

Sampling settings is definitely dependent on the dev but there's sort of implicit strategy at hand. For mastering equipment, let's say an EQ, if it's detented and has a very particular purpose in how it's set interpolation won't be used. You will get a "mirror" image of the hardware. Some hardware can be interpolated so you get "in-between" values and this could yield interesting results because it's like having the hardware with it tweaked to serve a bit more than originally intended. But it also can get hairy and a lot more care and attention must be given to make sure that things are intact from point to point (especially frequency, that can get ugly if not done right). But either way, with a good dev, you're getting the hardware as intended, even with its quarks and idiosyncracies or as intended and them some.

It's the ugliest plugin I've ever seen and their website doesn't help their product at all.
I'd much rather buy a single plugin that does excellent hardware emulation rather than a whole library of stuff (eg. Slate VCC).
AlexB should licence the tech and release his emulations as seperate plugins, custom GUIs and all.
However, I know I may end up purchasing it someday...if I can stomach Reaper since v2.x, Nebula shouldn't be too hard...

Have you been to the site recently though? it's not what most people remember from about a year ago. It's a brand spanking new site, and easy to navigate as well as organized. Also, more Aqua fx are on the slate with faster load times and less CPU with the awesome Nebula sound.

Have you been to the site recently though? it's not what most people remember from about a year ago. It's a brand spanking new site, and easy to navigate as well as organized. Also, more Aqua fx are on the slate with faster load times and less CPU with the awesome Nebula sound.

Yeah, the old site's the one I remember. The new one does look much better. Funny how they've started doing exactly what I wished they would do...single plugins for particular libraries. I've downloaded the free Acqua Vox plugin and am looking forward to trying it out on some tracks.

The website makes it look confusing as hell but the actual plug-in is easy to use. Pick a track, load it up like any other plug-in and choose what you want. Console emulation, EQ, tape whatever. Not much to it. But yeah the website used to blow even more and still blows.

The website makes it look confusing as hell but the actual plug-in is easy to use. Pick a track, load it up like any other plug-in and choose what you want. Console emulation, EQ, tape whatever. Not much to it. But yeah the website used to blow even more and still blows.

Yeah, I hear ya!
So what are the libraries that are really good that'd make Nebula worth buying? I just want some good console emulation and EQs.
AlexB's website is worse than what Acustica Audio's site used to be!