Need a concert to attend in Atlanta 5/15ish

Klebalica

New Metal Member
Jan 27, 2005
Here's the thing. I need an excuse to go to Atlanta (or somewhere close to it) between 5/13-5/17. (Preferably somewhere around then, I can go a little later than the 17th if need be.) My uncle lives in Atlanta and I need to pick up a car from his house, and I would like something that would a) keep me longer than 15 min. and b) convince friends to go with me (we would be driving up from Louisiana).

I'd appreciate it if anyone knew of anything prog/power metal or any classic metal/rock or just anything that is bad ass that we could attend around those dates. Thanks a bunch. :D

Hmm, there's not too much on the calendar yet, but the band Pelican is playing two nights at the Drunken Unicorn on the 14th and 15th. They're kinda interesting, but probably not "drive up from Louisiana" interesting. :)

Heh, yeah probably won't convince my friends with a band they've never heard of...BUT, if they are truly that good maybe if I make it up there for a different concert I could go see them. What kind of music are we talking here?

Pelican are fucking sweet, but to people who've never heard them, they are slow, plodding, and maybe boring.

However, their droning, post-rock style I find to be absolutely beautiful.

Well, I think I found a solution to my problem anyway.

Turns out the weekend before all this Styx is playing near Atlanta on a Friday and then Kansas is playing near Atlanta on a Saturday...so I think we are gonna drive up for those shows.

One question to those that live in Atlanta though. My uncle (whose house we would be staying at) lives in Cummings. The Styx concert is in Peachtree City and the Kansas show is in Mableton I think. So we will have to drive to Peachtree City, then after the show to Cummings, then the next day to Mableton, then back to Cummings that night again. I'm not entirely sure of the traffic/travel time/anything of driving around Atlanta and the cities around it, but does this seem insane or reasonable?

Klebalica said:
Well, I think I found a solution to my problem anyway.

Turns out the weekend before all this Styx is playing near Atlanta on a Friday and then Kansas is playing near Atlanta on a Saturday...so I think we are gonna drive up for those shows.

One question to those that live in Atlanta though. My uncle (whose house we would be staying at) lives in Cummings. The Styx concert is in Peachtree City and the Kansas show is in Mableton I think. So we will have to drive to Peachtree City, then after the show to Cummings, then the next day to Mableton, then back to Cummings that night again. I'm not entirely sure of the traffic/travel time/anything of driving around Atlanta and the cities around it, but does this seem insane or reasonable?

It's about 75 miles from Cumming to Peachtree City...I can't even feature a guess as to how long that might take on a Friday evening. At least the Braves aren't here that weekend, so that will help.

It's about 45 miles from Cumming to Mableton...should be an easy ride on a Saturday evening.

So you've essentially got 150 miles round-trip on Friday, and 90 miles round-trip on Saturday. If you do go to the Peachtree City show on Friday, beware the golf cart people...they're EVERYWHERE :lol: