Need help deciding on a preamp pedal.

ArsMemoria

Apr 4, 2013
Buffalo Grove, IL
I've been recording direct into my Scarlett 2i2 and using Lepou sims for a bit now, but haven't really been too thrilled with the results(plus, I run an old Macbook that frowns upon heavy CPU usages). I've been curious about the Blackstar HT pedals, but I've heard great things about AMT's Legend series. Have some of you guys here used one and/or the other and what would you go for?

I have a couple of amt stombox-size preamps, they are absolutely amasing. If you want to make a choice i can reamp some of yor DI-s for test.

I had the Blackstar HT dual for a short period. One of the worst pedal I ever had. It sounded horrible. Go for an AMT.

Amt s-1 user here. Super handy pedal and sounds really good. I gigged mine quite a bit. This into an ehx magnum 44 poweramp pedal makes for the handiest gig setup I've ever used.
The cab sim out on them isn't great though, it's very fizzy. That's something to bear in mind, I rarely used this feature so it didn't bother me.

I've heard mixed reactions to the cab sims on them, but the recordings I've heard with impulses sound amazing for what you're getting.

Here's another question that just dawned on me, I've been going direct in from my pedalboard into the 2i2 line input. I've been reading a lot about people putting a DI box in between the guitar and interface. So my question is this: would this be a better buy and would just adding a preamp box in there without a dedicated DI just add more to the problem? Part of me thinks I'm over-analyzing this, but I also don't want to make another purchase and still have problems down the line.

I was using the AMT E2 pedal with ReCabinet cab sims with pretty decent results. They have a good variety of high-gain amp-sims, and the pedal itself seems to be built very well. Also, I didn't care for the cab sim in the pedal either.