Need Help With Opeth Compilation

Blackwater Demon

Using Cold Words
Mar 30, 2008
Under The Weaping Moon
There is a guy in my acting class in college who made me a cd in class the other day. It had a few good songs on it but most of them were pretty gay. He said he liked Opeth but he didnt really act like it so as a favor I figured I would make him an Opeth compilation cd. What songs should I put on it and in what order? Id like to put April Ethernal followed by When but as for the rest I dont know. Any ideas?

Maybe Drapery as the intro, then Atonement-Reverie/Harlequinforest at some point.

And you must add Bleak and Ghost of Perdition...and Moonlapse vertigo and either The moor or Godhead's lament...and Apostle in triumph.

Oh and The funeral portrait.

Well... I think GoP would be a great idea, and so would be Bleak, but Atonement-Reverie/Harlequin Forest is not a good pick 'cause I think most of Opeth fans' population don't really like it very much and it is a hard song to connect to IMO. Though I personally do like it...
Umm... I also thought about taking The Drapery Falls, because it's a really awesome song and it has everything Opeth has to offer.
You can also use a cool instrumental maybe, which I can't help you pick though.
I think a clean-only track is necessary and I suggest something like Isolation Years or A Fair Judgement, but choose whatever you find likely to put there, this is just my opinion and probably my two fave clean Opeth tracks.
Blackwater Park might be a nice track to put there, 'cause you might also wanna show the growling part of Opeth too and, you gotta admit, the song is fucking great :headbang:
When's a nice idea because it is also an Opeth great song and it shows really what Opeth is about, if you think about it.
Well, I guess you can just fill the others with your personal favorite songs, I'm pretty much out of ideas for other available tracks to put there.
Oh, and for the order you put them in, I think you might wanna start with a clean-only track and the rest is not very important - why? Intuition (which means I don't have a clue).

All said here is my personal opinion and you might disagree with it, I'd be happy to discuss my opinions here.

i like for absent friends, i think its a nicer instrumental

perhaps you could add some more information on this guy? what sort of music does he listen to? if you burn him a disc of growling and he doesnt like it he probably wont listen to it and dismiss the band. if hes only into the lighter elements i suggest burning songs like for absent friends, the damnation record, to bid you farewell, benighted & face of melinda, etc, so they he likes and appreciates it, and he might slowly work his way into liking all their stuff too (it happened that way for me). and obviously, although i dont see it as likely, the reverse situation might exist, just burn him all the heavy, death metal stuff.

imo, dont try to pick out 'classical opeth' songs, just pick songs that you think he would like or in the same vein as stuff that he has expressed love of in the past. let him discover the band himself and pick the songs he likes, for now just get him interested

my 2 cents

ok here is the final track listing

Ghost Of Perdition
Master's Apprentice
The Lotus Eater
Under The Weaping Moon
The Drapery Falls
Demon Of The Fall
Harvest
Hessian Peel

whatcha think?

Remove Ghost of Perdition, Demon of the Fall, Harvest, and Hessian Peel. Replace with The Moor, To Bid You Farewell, Blackwater Park, and I don't know... maybe Windowpane or something.

Remove Ghost of Perdition, Demon of the Fall, Harvest, and Hessian Peel. Replace with The Moor, To Bid You Farewell, Blackwater Park, and I don't know... maybe Windowpane or something.

wtf... if you say something so notable like changing half of his disc line-up at least elaborate

I say a song from each album. Nine songs in total so:

In The Mist She Was Standing
To Bid You Farewell
When
The Moor
Blackwater Park
Windowpane
Deliverance
Ghost of Perdition
The Lotus Eater

I agree with Ozzloaf to a degree, you obviously don't want too much of one album on the cd. I like your tracklist already, except for two songs. Master's Apprentices and Under the Weeping Moon. The reason I say no Master's and no Weeping, is if you're gonna get a guy to like Opeth, you can't throw him right into the fray. Yes, I agree with everybody else on this forum in that Master's is an amazing song, but I would probably save it for later once they get in the vibe of Opeth. I'd probably throw Deliverance on there instead. And as far as Under the Weeping Moon, same deal. Let him get used to the idea of Opeth first, I gotta admit, I didn't like Orchid or Morningrise when I first heard them. But otherwise, your mix looks great. I would change some of the songs, but that's just personal preference.