Opeth...Black Metal???

• Thread starter King Purple Rainbow
  • Start date
No, they are not.

Originally posted by ham

and btw, Agalloch aren't black metal :\ more like progressive dark metal or something like that. whatever you call Katatonia (circa BMD) really
I think that is called gothic metal.

On the off chance anyone wanted to get back on topic here.....:

Flip open the booklet for the Firestarter compilation album (which I believe is the album refered to in the original post, and read this:

"15. OPETH - "Nectar (taken from the album Morningrise)
"Astonishing"..."Amazing"..."Incomparable"... these are some of the words
often used when speaking of this Swedish quartet, who in the span
of just two albums ( Orchid and Morningrise ) have revolutionized
the way that many listeners--and musicians--percieve heavy music.
Mixing equal parts black metal, '70s progressive rock and '80's classical heavey metal ,
OPETHhave bent the art form so acutely that it no longer bears distinction to its
original shape. It should not reflect negatively on OPETH taht they are presented
last, but rather as and honourable way to close things out.
Since they are seemingly incapable of writing a song under ten minutes in length...
But they're so adept, you scarcely notice the minutes slip by.

I could do a scan if you'd like... I really am that bored......

The only word I would, for sure, apply to describing all of Opeth's varied work is Progressive.

Besides, according to black metal heads I know, there are like three bands on Earth "cool" enough to be "real" black metal - and all three sound exactly like a clothes dryer with a pair of sneakers and a cat inside.

Opeth is way more creative than that!

The Opeth genre is good...

I was getting a little confused...

Melodic/Progressive Death Metal, Black Metal, Forest Metal (?), Squish Metal (?!?!).

There are very few bands that have their own sound and no one else sounds anythihgn like them.......OPeth just happens to be one of them.........they will always be in their own genre in my mind

Originally posted by Moonlapse
No. I'd like to think Opeth have far more variety and melody in their music than your average Black Metal act. Bad categorisation, but I suppose they need any excuse to put a good song on the CD :)

Are you kidding me? Emperor, Immortal(New), Borknagar, Naglfar just to name a few. Call it what you will.. post-black metal, black metal influenced.. these bands are great nonetheless and once belonged or still belong in the 'black metal' genre. (Considering the fact that REAL black metal is dead)

I don't really like Black Metal, and a lot of the fans/artists are morons.

This statement takes the cake folks. I never knew someone's intelligence could be derived from the music they listen to. You're generalizing an entire genre on the idiocy of a few..

For those who have preconcieved opinions on black metal and would like to have them challenged.. I recommend the following.

Emperor - Athems to Welkin at Dusk
Immortal - Damned in Black
Satyricon - Nemesis Divina
Naglfar - Diabolical
Dark Funeral - The Arrival of Satan's Empire (What tr00 black metal was supposed to sound like)

If you can honestly listen to these albums and think these artists are morons and have no talent.. then perhaps you should get your ears checked out.

It's just Opeth!

I've heard them called black metal many times and I don't really see why. Black metal is usually very fast, heavy on the synth, evil sounding, anti-christian, screeching vocals (I wouldn't even consider the first two albums screeching vocals)... I wouldn't consider them black metal in any way at all.

I don't even like the term "Progressive Death metal", although it's probably the closets genre that would match Opeth's style. Personally I think they're too good to be classified into any current genre. They're completely different from anything else I've heard.