need more solos!

Alex78

Fretbuzz Virtuoso
Jul 12, 2002
Germany
Visit site
I'm searching for progressive or thrash bands with preferably low-key vocalists that have many awesome melodic solos! I'm not into über-technical or typical thrash solo style stuff, for example I like Psychotic Waltz and Anacrusis a lot, but I hate Dream Theater and all of their clones. Any suggestions? thanks...

I've been getting into Scholomance's 'The Immortality Murder' for a while now. It's taking a while, a lot of the songs are rather long. But it's sounding really good, and it sounds like it would be worth a try for you. It's labeled "extreme prog." The vocals are mostly growled and screamed, and there is heavy piano usage, piano, not keyboard sound effects, but the piano sound. The guitars are fairly heavy, although it's not really "brutal" or anything, and it sounds fairly technical with some pretty nice soloing, but without sounding "pretentious," as you would call it.

Hmm....I think maybe about half way through the CD they start using more synth instead of piano sounds (although I think that was also synth effects). Still excellent, it's to add to the music instead of making it keyboard focused. Then maybe they switch back a bit. It's just not all piano for all of the songs. Almost done listening to the album now, although it will take several more to really get it into my head.

thanks all! I will check out Scholomance. I already have the Cynic album and one Coroner album, but haven't listened that much to it.
btw, Canvas Solaris is a good band I just discovered. they're like Gordian Knot, but heavier. nice solos, too...

Oh! I completely forgot to mention. The Scholomance album I'm talking about is $7 at The End Records, and it comes with a second disc that's instrumentals from the album and piano things. It's a mega-steal, so you can afford not to like it, if you do that kind of buying. It was a blind buy for me a while ago, and I hardly ever do that.

5thSeason said:
Artillery

Hehe, yes, Flemming Rönsdorf is definitely 'low key'... :D

Actually, Original Poster, go for Helstar. James Rivera may do a lot of falsetto, but most of the time his vocals are very soothing, and you'll find the guitar work to be fucking amazing. Pick up 'Nosferatu' and you'll see what I mean.