Need more stuff like Rust in Peace, Alice in Hell, or Never Neverland

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
I need some suggestions so perhaps some of you guys can reference your libraries. Can you point me in the right direction for bands that define:

--- "Life After Rust in Peace" ---

I'm essentially looking for bands that resemble the early Megadeth/Annihilator sound. Musical traits would include:

- clean vocals (or thrash vocals) but not death, screams, or shoutcore
- speed & technical RIFF precision
- heaps of melody
- lead solos and fills all over the place

The closest I can get to is stuff like Carcass' "Heartwork" or even Arch Enemy's "Burning Bridges", but of course, the vocals aren't clean. Clean vocals are essential.

When I think of clean vocals, I can think of Gamma Ray's "Land of the Free" and other random euro-power metal bands, but they're not 'dirty' or 'snarly' enough, if that makes sense.

So not melodic death and not power metal. Something in between. Am I asking for too much? What can you think of?

:Spin:

I'd say Overkill possibly... Vocals started off clean, but slightly thrashy, then Blitz changed to a more thrashy vocal. Lots of fun melodies, good solos often, and speedy.

Edit: Earlier Overkill... say 80's till the early 90's. They went a bit downhill since then.

I will upload an abundance of samples for you later tonight brotha.

This is pretty damn broad, so there is lots of shit to post up and recommend, so you can be the judge of w/e makes your cock hard.

Thanks Ken.

And thanks Eric, I have Overkill's Horrorscope so I'll pull that off the shelf and give it a spin. Along the same lines, I was also thinking of Kreator's Violent Revolution...and while it's exceptional, it's not quite exactly what I'm after.

I was listening to Arch Enemy's Burning Bridges today, and with songs like "Nightwing" and "Demonic Science", I was thinking, wow, how much cooler would this be if they used clean vocals?

Also, Testament's Souls of Black (Happened to come on my shuffle just now).

Actually, sway away from this direction. Although Skolnick meets the criteria, the rest of Testament do not. It's darker, heading towards all things Slayer and Dark Angel and I want to keep things a little more 'colorful'.

Think more along the lines of Jeff Waters' riffs in songs like "Stonewall" or "The Fun Palace". OR Megadeth's "Take no Prisoners".

I was thinking about it a bit more (This is bothering me). The first 2 Blind Guardian albums - Battalions of Fear and Follow the Blind - fit the criteria pretty well.

Stuff you've likely heard, but it was the first two albums that came to mind.

Death Angel - The Ultra-Violence
Sanctuary - Refuge Denied