need some computer help

blakmetalemp

Armed to the teeeettthhh!
when i start to download something off the web, the download starts out at about 20 or 25k a sec. then it slowly goes down to about 4 or 5k and sometimes jumps back up. is there anywhere that anyone knows of that tells you how to increase internet speed? i only have a 56k connection but after seeing how fast it is cabable of going i want more. maybe im just greedy but i know it can be done just cant find the webpage i was at before.

That 25k a second, is inaccurate, a standard phoneline can never exceed 5k a second.

I recommend, get cable, it costs twice as much as 56k, but it doesn't tie up a phone line, it is always connected, and I can sometimes download at 200k a second, which is about 40 times faster than 56k at its best. If cable or DSL is not available in your area, i'm deeply sorry.

Oyo is right...you should definitely get cable or DSL(!) as soon as it's available in your area. I have had DSL for about 2 years and love it. I would never go back to 56k. I just can't wait until I am on T3 in college. :D

That 25k a second, is inaccurate, a standard phoneline can never exceed 5k a second.
That's not true. Look at the attached picture. I'm on a 56k dialup connection and I got an average of over 11k/sec through the whole transfer. The sender ison DSL but this is quite rare though. It usually only happens when I do transfers with ppl on DSL; hardly ever happens on T1 servers.

Attachments

• 13ksec.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 10
I have a friend who was an experimental beta tester of the v92 standart in aussie. He would get straight 10k from anywhere with something faster than isdn, it was impressive technology and it looks promising...that is for the countries that already allow v90 :p