need some drumming tips!

Hedon-

vic firth 2b
Apr 24, 2008
i just started i got the practice pad and the sticks + a metronome yesterday.
can u give me some tips for starting/avoiding bad habits or anything really, what annoys me the most right now is that i cant get a grip in my left hand as loose as on my right hand, therefore i have less control and its driving me crazy. i hope practice will eliminate this:mad:

does it help to sit in my room and just try to figure whats going on and "play along" on my pad some really easy songs (some katatonia comes to mind)? because i really enjoy doing it :oops:

Well, if you only just started the most important thing is to play slowly. I now, it can drive you fucking crazy but it really does help alot, don't rush yourself to play too fast too soon, it will just turn out sloppy and it will more or less be wasted time. Getting a good teacher would also help you;)

actually nothing else to say. if you just started playing drums, dont play along any songs of bands you like. start with the basics. easy grooves and stuff, and like he said do it slooooooow. very fucking slow. speed comes with time, try out how to hold the sticks and how it feels good for you and your play. and maybee you should get a teacher, or actually Youtube can show some good basics aswell.

Hello fellow drummers.
Yes I'd have to go agree on what's being said here, start slowly. I myself never got any tips from anyone when I began, so I just blasted way like a maniac. I still am, kind of, :zombie:.
I've just been playing for about two and a half years and I'm also having a hard time figuring out what to do with my left hand. It's like it's disconnected sometimes and doesn't want to follow the rhythm. I need to practise moar, srsly. I have a digi kit at home but i refuse to play with it, it's retarded D:. <3 my acoustic kit, but I don't have access to it everyday.

end of rant.

I just stared playing in a band about 6 years ago. there was a former drummer playing bass guitar so she could show me some tipps. but I learned actually everything by hearing and trying. thats a good and important way to understand your drumkit. but its defenetly not the only way. I recommend to everyone search for a teacher, no matter if its Jazz drummer or what so ever. the basics are the same, and they are important. I think I can say Im not that bad at all, but with a teacher I would be way better. and speaking about my technics... Im sure every teacher would chop my hands off seeing me play. ^^

When you play on your pad, don't play songs. Start with basic rudiments like:
(R = Right hand, L = Left hand)

RLRLRLRL
LRLRLRLR
LLRLRRLR
LRRLRLLR
LRLLRLRR
etc.

Make sure your left hand leads as much as your right (this will improve your left). Play each rudiment 1-2 minutes at a comfortable speed (NOT fast) with a metronome. Tons of drummers don't practice with a metronome and it seriously reduces their pace keeping skillz. When you're in studio, if you can play to a click track you'll get the job done SOOO much faster than if you need a scratch track. Control is more important than speed - as your control grows, so will your speed. Also, make sure that the power in a down stroke is coming from the wrist, NOT the arm. You have more control, dexterity, and power with a wrist stroke than an arm stroke. You also don't get tired as quickly. Do them with your hands a feet separately then try to do them all together. Once you can do that you've just mastered the blast beat!

Once you feel comfortable with the simple rudiments, start experimenting with stick height and accenting (hitting louder at certain parts). Examples:
(R= accent right, L=accent left, r=soft right storke, l= soft left stroke)

Rlr Lrl
Rlrl Lrlr
etc.

A great book to buy is "Master Studies" by Jo Morello. Teaches you tons of rudiments and helps you progress at a great rate. You can find tons of stuff online too.

For blasts, some people use their fingers to go fast. Although this is a great way to get speed START WITH THE WRIST, then once you feel comfortable at high speeds move to the fingers. Finger technique is pretty much ONLY good for high speeds and lacks the dynamics and control of wrist strokes. It also keeps people from practicing with stylez other than fast paced metal. George Kollias, Derek Roddy, and our great friend Axe all blast at super high speeds with their wrists, so you don't even need to use fingers if you practice long enough with the wrist.

When you hold your sticks, they shouldn't feel glued to your hands. They should be pivoting on you middle fingers and the rest of the hand should be used more for controlling the direction and height of the sticks rather that holding them tight.

Most of us feel our left hand as being less controlled than our right but don't worry: with practice you'll improve in no time. You'll be surprised how fast you can progress if you stick to it.

That's my buck 25 anyway.

RLRLRLRL
LRLRLRLR
LLRLRRLR
LRRLRLLR
LRLLRLRR
etc.

Yeah I'm no drummer but I was watching a few friends of mine taking lessons and I started doing that and playing some basic stuff, you can't build a house starting from the roof.. well nowadays you can build a building starting from the roofs but you get the metaphor.

I still do the lrrlrllr thing randomly :)

a nice practice that told me friend of mine is good but can be very frustrating...

you count 1 - 4 and you accent one hit... example...

1- R
2- l
3- r
4- l
4 times

than

1- r
2- L
3- r
4-l

4 times... you switch your accent hit always one forward, next time you have the accent on the 3 count and the Right hand again, sounds simple but believe me its not. but thats a lesson for later. do the things from Flal first. you can do actually a lot more wih this one but thats basicly it.
I hope its good to understand what ive been trying to tell here ^^

a nice practice that told me friend of mine is good but can be very frustrating...

you count 1 - 4 and you accent one hit... example...

1- R
2- l
3- r
4- l
4 times

than

1- r
2- L
3- r
4-l

4 times... you switch your accent hit always one forward, next time you have the accent on the 3 count and the Right hand again, sounds simple but believe me its not. but thats a lesson for later. do the things from Flal first. you can do actually a lot more wih this one but thats basicly it.
I hope its good to understand what ive been trying to tell here ^^

yeah sounds like a good exercise

That's an EXCELLENT exercise. So is counting through all of your rudiments ("1,2,3,4" for 4/4; "1,2,3" for 3/4 and 6/8, etc). It'll make learning that much easier.

is it ok if the stick slips beyond my first knuckle of my index finger when i hold it? cause it always happens:mad:

and just curiosity

is the double bass starting on 0:45 for real? how the fuck can he be that fast?

Last edited by a moderator:
trigged as fuck, but yes, it's real.

I really thought that after "Demigod" everyone said Inferno was only good cause of triggers or some shit, then he did "The Apostasy" without triggers and raped them all.

So maybe he isn't using triggers in that video? Dunno.

Edit: BTW I drum and Flal and the other exercises are very good.
Edit2: The intro to "Slaying the Prophets ov Isa" is sick and I am pretty sure he isn't using triggers.

Inferno is an excellent drummer and it isn't like triggered drums automatically make you good. Although they do make the job easier.
So yeah those are good tips and excercises, although the accent excercise is a bit more advanced especially in high speeds. Have fun Hedon :)

You still need to be uber precise with triggers. Honestly, I think it's harder to play with them live because EVERYONE hears it when you make a mistake.

That vid isn't even THAT fast. Like, it's super fast, but definitely possible. Kollias, and especially drummers like Longstreth, can do it easily:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taFQUbhpuWA&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
need some drumming tips!

Basically, just practice like the dude in my sig. You'll be a killer drummer in no time.

But seriously I have never had any lessons myself and I've been playing for about 8 years so i don't really feel qualified to give u any tips sorry buddy. Just make sure your holding your hand with your palms facing down, not inwards, so that your wrist moves up and down naturally rather than sideways, because thats a bad habit that I've had to train myself out of which sucked.

Another reason I can't give any good advice really is that I think blast beats are a plague on drumming, it annoys me how much blast beat filler there is in the new Bloodbath album, I love just a slow, quality double bass groove.